Gentle reminder: Clean behind your fender liners!

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I went to do a brake job on my Golf yesterday only to find out the reason why I got the pad warning was the sensor wire was broken off... looks like at least another 100k km of brake pad left on all four corners and the rotors still measured in spec. So I took the opportunity to flush the brake system with Ate SL.6 fluid and replace my cracked driver's side fender liner.

Admittedly, it's been at least 3 years since I cleaned behind them, but I got out at least 2 kg of black sandy loam from behind the driver's side fender liner and another 1.5 kg from the passenger side! Absolutely no evidence of rust forming, but I cleaned everything up well and gave the sheetmetal a good coat of metal protector before reinstalling the fender liners.

Aside from taking the wheel off, it's a very easy job of removing the 12 T25 fasteners and poking, brushing & washing the dirt out. Spray it down with your preferred protectant if you're so inclined. Reinstallation is the reverse of removal.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Installed mudflaps on my parents '09 Jetta lastnight.. Looks like VW is at it again with the foam installation behind the liners... I ripped off a 4-5inch section that was completely soaked with water (It hasn't rained up here in over a week)... I suggest MKV owners do the same or else rust will be in your future.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Yeah, removed the compost heap behind one of my fenders last week during a turbo replacement. Have to say, not a sign of rust and last clean-out was 5 years ago when I even found some seeds germinating into nice little plants ;-)

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
...After you remove the compost heap, get some slightly longer screws. Take a couple of washers and stack them. Place them between the fender and the plastic liner at the bottom screw locations. Secure in place with the longer screws.

Voila, a self cleaning system.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
...After you remove the compost heap, get some slightly longer screws. Take a couple of washers and stack them. Place them between the fender and the plastic liner at the bottom screw locations. Secure in place with the longer screws.

Thank you, great idea, as I dumped leaves and stuff in behind them again tonight from the windscreen wind breaker.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I just did mine as the right side fender was showing signs of rust. The culprit was the foam padding on the inside of the fender; so I did the left side as well. I might replace the broken right wheel well liner with the vented one if I can only find the part #; thus my reason for bumping this thread.

Last edited:

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat

I like that idea !
I have nylon (non-metalic) washers that will work fine for this "mod". :D

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW stock:Totaled 2000 black Golf gls 315K : retired
Yep too late for mine :( Im rusty due to salt/sand build up behind my fender liner

Deadend

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I had the whole fender rust through thanks to this last year... and VW paid to replace it (although in bright light you can see no blending). Maybe I should clean out the driver's side now....

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My left wheel well was very clean when I removed the liner.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Foam removed on mine and brothers. Also have cut two notches in each liner to allow draining as there is a lip that could catch. Been a couple years-still clean. Washers or notching works. Notching was free for me.

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
VW should put out a flyer on all of these gotchas. I have about 4"X1" of rust on my right front fender 2004 Jetta. If I knew about water trapping foam I would have removed it when I got my car at 35k. I guess the good news will be that rust that starts on the inside and seen on the outside means that I have holes through my fenders.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
VW should put out a flyer on all of these gotchas. I have about 4"X1" of rust on my right front fender 2004 Jetta. If I knew about water trapping foam I would have removed it when I got my car at 35k. I guess the good news will be that rust that starts on the inside and seen on the outside means that I have holes through my fenders.
They did. TSB 5006-02. It's linked in post 42 of this thread.

Besides which, you have rust perforation coverage for 12 years, unlimited distance. If it's starting to rust, I would do everything I could to help it perforate so you can get it fixed for free.

1942farmallh

TDI
2003 Jetta
FYI - I had both my front fenders rusted out due to the foam padding behind the liner. Much to my bewilderment and excitement the VW dealer replaced both with little to no hassle. I believe VW put out a technical service bulletin on this, it should also be covered by the rust warranty.

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I'm glad to hear all of this-how do I confirm that my fender is "perforated" short of running a 1/2" drill bit through it?

catguy12

TDI
2000 New Beetle
Another thing to look for when the left fender liner is off on a NB is the foam support block near the top of the fender. Mine came loose and was sucked up tight to the intake snorkle... seriously cuts down on the performance, and can lead to changing expensive sensors (like the MAF).

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I'm glad to hear all of this-how do I confirm that my fender is "perforated" short of running a 1/2" drill bit through it?
Here's a couple rhetorical questions for you:

What causes rust? What inhibits rust?

If one has surface rusting and wants to ensure it penetrates through the body panel, would one ensure it has thorough coverage of a rust inhibitor or rust accelerant?

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Sorry to bump a 7.5 year old thread, but...

I just discovered today while replacing the wiper motor in the Golf that there are supposed to be plastic pieces, one each side of the rain tray, that help keep leaves and other junk from being washed down inside the fender. I've had one MKIV for almost 17 years and the other for almost 11 and neither of them has these - and over the years I've had to replace all 4 fenders because of rust (only 1 under warranty).

The part numbers are 1J0-819-447-E-B41 (left) and 1J0-819-448-E-B41 (right) and they cost less than $10 each - a lot cheaper than a fender. Why didn't anyone tell me about these?

To see a photo of what I'm talking about, you can view before/after photos on this page a bit more than halfway down: https://www.drive2.ru/l/507663486193500534/

This is what it looks like when your car is missing one of the leaf guards:

I'm ordering these today. Hopefully they'll cut down on the amount of compost behind the fenders.

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Sorry to bump a 7.5 year old thread, but...

I just discovered today while replacing the wiper motor in the Golf that there are supposed to be plastic pieces, one each side of the rain tray, that help keep leaves and other junk from being washed down inside the fender. I've had one MKIV for almost 17 years and the other for almost 11 and neither of them has these - and over the years I've had to replace all 4 fenders because of rust (only 1 under warranty).

The part numbers are 1J0-819-447-E-B41 (left) and 1J0-819-448-E-B41 (right) and they cost less than $10 each - a lot cheaper than a fender. Why didn't anyone tell me about these?

I'm not sorry - thanks for the part numbers!