OBD will not connect

WeaselMF

TDI
2003 Beetle GLS
Ok y'all, I am stuck. My OBD port will not connect to the VAGCOM or the scan tool. I have tried everything that I could find on all of the forums. First off..I have the factory radio, not an aftermarket, but I did disconnect the Kline from the radio anyway…
Specs - 2003 Beetle TDI, 5-speed.
I have disconnected the ABS module, the SRS module, the gauge cluster, the Convenience module, and the Injection pump. Still won't connect. I have replaced the ECU and it still will not connect. I have even hooked up a jumper from the obi port kline (gry/wht wire) to the ecu kline wire (gry/wht wire pin 17 I think).

Oh, and of course I checked all of the fuses. They are all good and all have voltage. I also have voltage at the OBD port.

I need help. I can not figure this out and cannot communicate with the car.

nowback

Veteran Member
TDI
tdi's ranging 2000 golf to 2006 jetta 7 in total:)
is the car running or did it die?
if the 109 is toast you will not be able to scan it

WeaselMF

TDI
2003 Beetle GLS
The car runs. The idle is sometimes bad when it is warm, but other than that the cars runs great. Plenty of power. Maybe I am tracing the wrong wire… Maybe it is the Lline wire that I should be looking at…

WeaselMF

TDI
2003 Beetle GLS
Come on Y'all, where are all of the experts? I know this is a definite unusual problem. Maybe is there a way to hook the OBD can wires and Kline wire directly up to the ECU?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Does the VCDS give you any error message? Such as "No Response from Controller".

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Does the indicator on the OBD end of the cable illuminate when plugged in to the car?

WeaselMF

TDI
2003 Beetle GLS
I get a green light on the vcds dongle. When I do a test is says ok, but when I try to connect to any module is times out and says no response from the controller. Like I said, I even tried another ECU, but got the same response so it has to be in the wiring somewhere. If I could only figure out which wires at the ECU to tap into.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I get the same error message from VCDS, but not as often since I've been plugging my LP into my 1000 watt inverter. Maybe the battery in my lap top is too weak, and therefore needs continuous recharging. Something to consider. My scan gauge works continuously plugged into the OBD port.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I had this problem on my 2001 with VCDS. I contacted Rosstech and the guy had me download a new driver or something. It worked then. I'm not sure exactly what the fix was as I am a complete computer idiot.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Vcds

I had this problem on my 2001 with VCDS. I contacted Rosstech and the guy had me download a new driver or something. It worked then. I'm not sure exactly what the fix was as I am a complete computer idiot.
Why don't you uninstall VCDS, then reinstall the program & drivers again?

WeaselMF

TDI
2003 Beetle GLS
I have tried the uninstall / reinstall. I the laptop is connecting to the adaptor, but the ECU is not playing nice with the others... I also have a scan tool that will work with these cars, but it will not connect either. This is a head crusher....

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I also have voltage at the OBD port.
Just tossing out straws here.. when you checked for voltage did you use the OBD port's ground or something else?

Meaning... does your OBD port has both good power and a good ground?

The green status LED would suggest that this is the case, but you never know.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Have you tried to connect to the CAN Gateway? That is the first stop after the DLC. You can unplug the engine controller, unplug relay 109, won't matter, you'd still be able to connect to the Gateway.

If you cannot connect to that, then there is most likely an issue with the cluster.

WeaselMF

TDI
2003 Beetle GLS
I did try to connect to the CAN gateway with no luck. I have thought about the cluster being an issue, but I removed the cluster, and still was not able to connect to anything... ARG!!! Does it need the cluster to connect, or is that just the Immobilizer unit?

WeaselMF

TDI
2003 Beetle GLS
Crap... Ok, so the next question is, will I be able to swap the cluster without having the previous Immobilizer info?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'd just send the ECU out and get the immo blitzed.

But that is a couple steps ahead. I would try and find a used (but same part number) cluster and plug that in and see if your communications come back. The immo is only needed to let the car remain running, not for communications.

fly360

TDI
04 Golf GLS TDI, 03 Golf GL TDI, 03 Jetta GLS TDI, 06 Jetta GLS TDI
Bump on this solution. I'm having the exact same thing happening on my 04 Golf with the factory radio. My VCDS works fine on my other dubs. My 04 has a engine shudder at about 1500 rpm with a check engine light. the shudder is there with the car parked. The only recent thing done to it was a timing belt change. car ran fine prior to the belt swap. I have triple checked the timing and it is correct. I also need to set the torsion value but again I can't access the ECU to do that. I really like this golf and hate to see it sit over a possible easy fix or sensor problem. It is the 04 Golf BEW engine with the automatic

Last edited: