NEW 28F6/T9 Glow plug recall for 04-05 TDI

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
My letter has already been filed away along with all the others. When they say update software, I guess that refers to a reflash and nothing more. The smart relay would not be considered part of the software, or would it?
They are down to just replacing the glow plugs with the NGK 09s and reflash the ECU to the latest software.

I already have the NGK glow plugs and the original tuning. So far they are working fine.

Maybe I will send in the reburstment form and hopefully VW will pay me the $50 is cost for the NGK glow plugs.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I just bought a 2005 New Beetle tdi today. I called both dealers here and VW customer service and gave them the VIN and mentioned the four recalls I found searching the web (including this item). They said my particalr VIN was not covered by any of the recall or this. Only the sunroof recall which has already been done acording to the PO.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Note: It doesn't cover vehicles that have been chipped,tuned,or modified!:mad:
Technically it does according to qualifying VIN range but that doesn't mean you have to have it done. What it means is if you have the recall done and you have a tune, the new ECU programming will overwrite your custom tune and you'll lose your tune. You can change the GPs yourself and get your custom tune updated for the new steel GPs.

They will never touch my 05 PD JWagen. I already have the new steel recall GPs installed and Rocketchip tuning for the new GPs. I'm glad to be rid of those time bomb ceramic GPs. :cool:

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Technically it does according to qualifying VIN range but that doesn't mean you have to have it done. What it means is if you have the recall done and you have a tune, the new ECU programming will overwrite your custom tune and you'll lose your tune. You can change the GPs yourself and get your custom tune updated for the new steel GPs.

They will never touch my 05 PD JWagen. I already have the new steel recall GPs installed and Rocketchip tuning for the new GPs. I'm glad to be rid of those time bomb ceramic GPs. :cool:
The 5V steel glow plugs are outdated and superseded. They are now using NGK ceramic glow plugs which have steel around them to prevent them from breaking off.

I wouldn't be suprised if they stop making the 5V steel as they have no reason to make them anymore. All BEWs are now getting 7V NGK.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What do you mean "all bew"? I was just told mine wasn't covered under this issue and have the original GP in there I'm sure. How will I get them?

cglasel

I took mine in today. The service writer said that they would replace the GPs and flash the computer if the car (05 Passat TDI) hadn't had a prior GP replacement, which it hadn't. The CEL has been on for some time due to a bad GP.

The guy called this afternoon with an estimate for $2500 unrelated work! No thanks, I said. Work included transmission mounts, 4 tires, upper rear links, battery, etc...

Wow. Now I see why they wanted to replace my GP for "free."

Now I've got to research the other work -- specifically the tranny mounts.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
What do you mean "all bew"? I was just told mine wasn't covered under this issue and have the original GP in there I'm sure. How will I get them?
They just came out with a new recall that apparently covers all BEWs that have the bosch ceramics and did not get the 5V steel recall done. The other "recall", actually warranty extension, that came out a couple of months ago was to re-do cars that had the 5V recall. You have to show (or at least claim) that you're having cold start problems with the 5V steels to get this. In my situation, I could tell them that the car starts poorly whenever I travel to a cold location, but it hasn't fallen below the mid 20s here yet this winter and probably won't. Of course, the local dealer would be thrilled to see me, considering the first recall resulted in the destruction and warranty replacement of the top end of my engine.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As I posted earlier I have talked to 2 dealers and VWoA and was told my VIN does not qualify. While trying to buy it yesterday we had it scanned at the dealer as the PO had gotten a check engine light that morning. Dealer scanned and intermittant glow plug error on number 2. This is one of the dealers that said I was not covered under this or any other recall when I talked with them today. I even mentioned this recall and printed out the letter that someone linked to here. So not "all" BEW's will be covered. Mine sure isn't it seems at the very least. Fortunately I am in Central Texas and probably won't have an issue. If I do I guess I will check again or replace them myself and get RocketChip to handle the programming for me.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
So the plot thickens. I went in to the dealer that dealt with the glow plug issue the other day. I talked to the service manager and had him give me a complete repair history on the car. Turns out the earlier recall had already been done so that is why mine isn't eligible for this one. The brake switch had also been done but have to take it back for the sunroof recall to be done.

He made it a point to show me where the previous owner had not been bringing the car in for 5k oil changes and that this was mandatory for a 2005 TDI. I just listened and kept my mouth shut politely.

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
So the plot thickens. I went in to the dealer that dealt with the glow plug issue the other day. I talked to the service manager and had him give me a complete repair history on the car. Turns out the earlier recall had already been done so that is why mine isn't eligible for this one. The brake switch had also been done but have to take it back for the sunroof recall to be done.

He made it a point to show me where the previous owner had not been bringing the car in for 5k oil changes and that this was mandatory for a 2005 TDI. I just listened and kept my mouth shut politely.
That makes sense. I had the earlier recall done as well and I haven't gotten the newest letter. You should be eligible for an extended warranty through October 2012 (I think?) if the previous recall is causing you hard starting/no starting issues when it is cold out. If it isn't causing you issues, I would just leave it alone since you have steel glow plugs in there now. No reason to go back to ceramic plugs if you don't have to.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
He made it a point to show me where the previous owner had not been bringing the car in for 5k oil changes and that this was mandatory for a 2005 TDI.
My 2004 BEW Wagon calls for 10,000 mile oil changes. I had to point this out to the dealer when I bought the car with 18,000 miles on it. I literally had to show him the manual with oil change interval and the 505.01 spec. They have also replaced my EGR cooler lower pipe 3 times because they took short cuts. The moral is, if you use the dealer for anything, you really have to know the procedures before you drop off the car, search this forum and present the information to the service manager to make sure they follow the prescribed steps in order.

I got my letter yesterday too, and I have a call into them. I will only let them change the glow plugs if they show me the old plugs intact, and they will have specific orders not to start the car if any of the glow plugs are broken. They actually told me they broke a glow plug on a tourag and were directed by VWOA to run the engine long enough to break up the ceramic tip, and then give the customer a free oil change!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yes VWoA told me about the extension when I had them on the phone, but no mention of why not covered on this one or that the other had already been done. I guess it helps to watch over someones shoulder as they pull up your history and ask questions as you see things! I learned a lot today and am happier for it. Leaving things as they are for now!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My 2004 BEW Wagon calls for 10,000 mile oil changes. I had to point this out to the dealer when I bought the car with 18,000 miles on it. I literally had to show him the manual with oil change interval and the 505.01 spec. They have also replaced my EGR cooler lower pipe 3 times because they took short cuts. The moral is, if you use the dealer for anything, you really have to know the procedures before you drop off the car, search this forum and present the information to the service manager to make sure they follow the prescribed steps in order.

I got my letter yesterday too, and I have a call into them. I will only let them change the glow plugs if they show me the old plugs intact, and they will have specific orders not to start the car if any of the glow plugs are broken. They actually told me they broke a glow plug on a tourag and were directed by VWOA to run the engine long enough to break up the ceramic tip, and then give the customer a free oil change!
I had a 2006 Jetta previously and am familiar with the dealer routine/specs and such. I am using them only to get recall work done if needed and maintenance history. I am having to learn some new things for a BEW NB instead.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
My guru just told me if I have them do it I can apply to VW for reimbursement and they have been paying. From what he said, this job has to be done or the ceramic plugs might break off in the engine and cause serious engine damage. He said I can get either 5v or 7v plugs at about $15 to $33 each, respectively. Hopefully, I can put it off until after April 15th.

I am actually scared of taking my precious car into the VW dealer ever again. Last time the little hook that pulls the caps off the lug bolts disappeared. That was for the sunroof recall. What were they doing in my trunk at all? They also recommended $ 277 of unneeded work.

n1das

TDI
The 5V steel glow plugs are outdated and superseded. They are now using NGK ceramic glow plugs which have steel around them to prevent them from breaking off.
I'm keeping the 5V steel GPs. My RC3 tune operates them properly at 5V and I'm having no issues with cold starts.

turbocharged798 said:
I wouldn't be suprised if they stop making the 5V steel as they have no reason to make them anymore. All BEWs are now getting 7V NGK.
They will never touch mine. Technically they won't ever touch it if they tried because my BEW engine is *DEAD* from a timing belt failure in 2009 and is sitting on a shelf in mrchill's shop. I have a new ATD PD engine (the real PD100 in Europe) in place of my original BEW engine. The ATD in the crate came with 11V steel GPs like what an ALH uses. Mrchill installed the 5V steel recall GPs (from the first BEW GP recall) and my ECU was updated by Rocketchip to work with the 5V steel GPs. If I have to replace the 5V steel GPs and they're not available, I will deal with it when the time comes and go to the 7V NGKs and get the ECU updated by Rocketchip. VW dealers are definitely not going to touch it.

EDIT: I will stick with steel GPs, even if that means installing 11V ALH GPs and getting my tune updated for it.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
You know, I was thinking that I wonder if I could get a malone glow plug tune with ALH glow plugs and request reimbursement from VW?

I will tell them that the original glow plugs were discontinued and needed them to be replaced.

The truth is that we are not 100% sure if the NGK glow plugs are compatible with the stock programming. I did a search and there has been several cases of the NGKs breaking off and trashing engines which makes me feel rather uneasy about using them.

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
You know, I was thinking that I wonder if I could get a malone glow plug tune with ALH glow plugs and request reimbursement from VW?

I will tell them that the original glow plugs were discontinued and needed them to be replaced.

The truth is that we are not 100% sure if the NGK glow plugs are compatible with the stock programming. I did a search and there has been several cases of the NGKs breaking off and trashing engines which makes me feel rather uneasy about using them.
I say we're best to stick with steel GPs no matter what and update the tuning in our ECUs by our favorite tuners as needed. I'm glad to be rid of the original Bosch time bomb ceramic GPs.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree with you, but the thing is that it costs$$$ to have the ecu retuned. I already bought the NGK 7V glow plugs and they have been in there for several weeks now with the stock 2004 programming.

In the end, I would really like just to tune the ECU for ALH glow plugs and stop worrying.

I also reread the letter and it states that

"If you have previously paid for glow plug replacement out-of-pocket, we would be pleased to review your reimbursement request...."

Note the world previously. I think if I got a malone ALH glow plug tune, they might(probably) would reject it as they would ask my why I did not simply have the dealership do it. I do not think if I told them that my dealership has no idea and I do not want them touching my car would fly.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Since you're near Austin, I suggest you give runonbeer a shout next time you need some service. In our climate the 5V steelies work fine. It might be worth picking up a few spares though, before they become unavailable.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I was just dealing with Robbie on a 2000 bug I bought. He said he prefers to work on the older (alh I think) models. I am aware he is here though. Mach1 is also around and he is more geared towards the PD's. So I am lucky in that regard. Two gurus around although each 35 miles away. I will use them for the more involved things that need to be done. Thanks!

robertyz

TDI
2004 Jetta
Received my recall on Monday 24th Jan and Queensway VW in Toronto fixed me up with an appointment as soon as I called. I dropped my 04Jetta off yesterday, 26th Jan, and they kept it for two hours. New glow plugs, new plug modual and firmware update plus a car wash. The temp in Toronto was about -2c this morning and the glow duration was extremely short and diesel started as soon as I touched the key. Tiny bit of smoke but all in all, I'm impressed. Starts and runs like a dream. I've heard all of the horor stories and had a few of my own but not this time. Queensway replaced two rusty fenders, they fixed my sunroof drain and now new plugs and module all withing about 60 days so I'm a happy guy.

db252

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf 2005 Jetta 2003 Jetta 2001 Golf
Thanks for posting the results. I for one am looking forward to getting mine done on Monday and ending up with the same positive results.

n1das

TDI
I agree with you, but the thing is that it costs$$$ to have the ecu retuned. I already bought the NGK 7V glow plugs and they have been in there for several weeks now with the stock 2004 programming.

In the end, I would really like just to tune the ECU for ALH glow plugs and stop worrying.
IMHO, it's well worth the cost if necessary to prevent VW dealers from butchering the car and wiping out my RC tuning.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
Keep posting results after the recall is performed. When I spoke to my dealer yesterday, they said I was the first to call them about it. So naturally I asked if they had the new GP's on the shelf and if they had the reflash software. Which they did. But I was hesitant to be the first one to have this done, so I told them I would call next month for an appointment.

razoredge34

TDI
2004 Golf GLS
Brought mine in yesterday. Service manager said they checked it and it was fine, no further work needed. No parts, no re-flash, nada. I'm fairly certain my car didn't have the earlier glow plug recall done (2009) either.

Is it because I live in a warm climate that they pretty much blew it off?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Got my notice yesterday too, the 2nd one for this issue.

Never went in the 1st time, not going to go in this time either. If I need GPs IDparts has them in stock. From what i've heard, the ceramics may break upon removal, not necessarily in operation. No issues to date, 4.5 years of ownership and close to 137K miles, starts up fine every time.

Why fix it if it ain't broke? Besides, I value my RC1+ tune too much...