Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI Not starting

Enormex

TDI
Seat Ibiza 1998 1.9 TDI
Hello,
I bought a Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI 1998. It was starting fine for some time but then after a long drive it was unable to start again. We had to push start it to get back home.
The starter was tested and is working fine, the relay is clicking when turning the key to ignition position. Relay works fine, we tested. Line from starter to fuse box is good. Today it actually cranked for a second after moving the fuse box and pushing the key to ignite. I guess it is a bad connection at the fuse box?
There is so many wires behind the fuse box so I find it really hard to check the wires. Any suggestions?
Thanks and best regards

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Find somebody to scan it for you.
EDIT: Oh, wait. Your relay 109 looks like it might not be seated fully. Also,
that relay is black, which are known to overheat themselves and die. The upgraded version is grey.
I would scan before pulling the wiring harness apart!

Last edited:

Enormex

TDI
Seat Ibiza 1998 1.9 TDI
Hello guys, I fixed the problem!
There was a bad contact between the ignition switch and the starter. A really crucial info is this: there is no starter relay!!!
The wire goes directly to the starter. That was the biggest thing to find out. So yeah, I just pulled off the connector in the igniton switch and put it back on and it started working again!