Chinese Stereo Alternative for most VWs

Mr. Flibble

TDI
2013 Sportwagen Manual, Sunroof/1995 Mitsubishi Delica L400
EDIT NOTE: This is a really good stereo for the price. I had some issues with it, but I have since solved them. Read through the whole thread to see the fixes. Short answer - I did not wire the 12volt wire into switched power originally - once I did, that fixed the battery drain and the GPS resets as well.

I installed a Chinese "Isudar" ISD-V001N Stereo and backup camera. It absolutely crushes the stock system (RCD-310)

I first wrote about it in this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=347077&page=85

Stereo: $156.00 USD
Tailgate Handle Backup Camera: $22.00 USD

Features: Navigation (GPS), Bluetooth, CAN-Bus support, engine info on Stereo, DVD playback, automatic reverse detection for camera, direct control from steering wheel buttons, alternative video input (so I can hook up my Raspberry Pi!)

It does NOT support:
Satellite Radio
HD Radio

I have had issues with the iGo8 GPS system causing the head unit to crash and reboot - but I am certain I can solve this problem. How do I know? I have a similar WinCE head unit in my other vehicle, and it has less RAM in it - I hacked the iGO8 software to a lower setting, and the crashes stopped. I will have to do the same to this one and post the configs here.

Some generic photos (not mine):

Here is a video that first pointed it out to me after I started researching it. (Video is in Russian)
http://youtu.be/rvRk-Eb5ITM

I will be adding some pictures and videos in this thread of what it is and how it works - probably some YouTube videos as well.

Where I bought it:

Stereo:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HD-7-...840114102.html

Camera:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CCD-H...254459951.html

Adapter:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Radio...231632214.html

You may or may not need the radio adapter. I installed without it, but realized I need it after the install. Still works, but the adapter is specifically for some VW stereos setups like my RCD310. I just received the radio adapter, I will install it and add the details to this thread.

Install was surprisingly easy. Ripping apart the roof to route the backup camera wasn't.

Last edited:

Mr. Flibble

TDI
that would of been sweet if it was for a MK4.
there might be a solution:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dual...52&btsid=8ea9ed1f-adb2-4461-966d-97149c3875b2

I am pretty sure you can find something that will work. The install was surprisingly simple, at least in my case it was a direct drop-in replacement.

Not having sat or HD radio is a huge bummer :(

-J
I miss HD, Sat not so much.

The backup camera more than makes up for the loss. And at least in my case I spend more time with Audiobooks and podcasts than I do the radio.

Just for kicks I ordered a forward camera as well - it mounts in the logo:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nigh...r-volkswagen-for-VW-GOLF-Bora/1636539779.html

Last edited:

Mr. Flibble

TDI

This is the adapter I had shipped - you will notice it takes the two separate antenna feeds (AM and FM) and combines them into one.

Here is a shot of the backup camera - it comes on automatically when I put it in reverse. Basically, the camera stays on all the time, and the Stereo detects reverse from the CANBUS and shows the screen when you are in reverse.
Those lines you see on the screen? They are part of the camera actually. The stereo actually has a feature where it can draw those lines for you, and also show where the wheels are. Unfortunately, I bought a camera that always projects those lines, so I turned off the wheel position indicator as I don't need two sets of lines on my screen.

Here is a better look at what it looks like when you use it in the dark.

The install is actually really simple. With the bezel off you can see the four torx screws you need to remove the old and add the new stereo. No adapters or anything required.

GPS example.

By the way, those lines you see on the screen are a result of my phone's camera. You don't see any sort of screen artifacts unless you are using the backup camera. Otherwise this screen is crystal clear.

Here is an idea of the hardware in the device.

This car info screen reports on data from the CANBUS. I did not show it here, but it shows open doors or open trunk, handbrake or seatbelt.

While playing a CD, you can see it reports "Track 2" to my HUD. It also shows what radio station you are on when the radio is in use.

Here is the stock stereo. You can see the double AM/FM inputs - and the fact that I have two radio cables - hence the need for the adapter. Notice the multiple plug adapter - the Chinese stereo directly fits this VW part, so it drops in with ease.

The stock stereo removal - as you can see, it is really simple.

Mr. Flibble

TDI

Seatbelt Warning.

The two additional USB plugs, for plugging an iphone, ipod, USB Stick - and get this - USB WIFI. Why WIFI? Who knows. I ordered a USB stick just for that because, well what the hell.

Mr. Flibble

TDI
Does this replace the factory phone / bluetooth module as well?

-J
Yes. It actually adds a whole new device. Strangely, the old VWphone is still there, but it no longer works properly. I recommend deleting it from your phone after installing the Isudar.

I will add more photos of the Bluetooth features.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Yeah China just plain out engineers the US any more. Making better stuff at 1/10th the cost. Later this year well be able to buy cars that were completely engineered and manufactured in china here in the US its an exciting new world. Goodbye GM, FORD and DODGE. I believe the government shoulda let the big three die years ago. Greed has ruined these companies. 300% return on investment business plan is bad for everyone. Ask me how i know.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
GreenLantern, down boy, :p

Greed does have a part in it but so does paying decent wages. If you look at what they pay workers in China, you'd know why they can offer stuff so cheap.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
I've been wanting to get a MK4 Nav unit that can work with a backup camera and look OEM as possible but haven't found anything yet. This unit does look nice but I'd have to read reviews prior
our problem is the age our cars are getting. manufacturers are getting away from aftermarket parts, especially custom.
I ordered this a few days ago. cheap enough to play around with. think the biggest issue will be getting everything connected.
there is another on the site that has it all for under $100.00.
http://m.tomtop.com/7-inch-universa...-with-rear-view-camera-k3839.html?aid=CRM0223

it might be awhile before I can get this in bc the car is in the shop with issues I couldn't figure out.
sorry for the hijacking.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
our problem is the age our cars are getting. manufacturers are getting away from aftermarket parts, especially custom.
I ordered this a few days ago. cheap enough to play around with. think the biggest issue will be getting everything connected.
there is another on the site that has it all for under $100.00.
http://m.tomtop.com/7-inch-universa...-with-rear-view-camera-k3839.html?aid=CRM0223

*SNIP*

it might be awhile before I can get this in bc the car is in the shop with issues I couldn't figure out.
sorry for the hijacking.

Sorry for threadjacking also but I think this is a great thread to look at other options for nav/audio.

Deejaaa, keep us posted. The unit is reasonably price and not too bad. I am concerned with setting up a reverse camera on my wagon and some audio playback.

I can pay the 100 +/- for a chinese unit, but I have difficulty wanting to pay 200, 300 or 400 on aliexpress for something there.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Coming out soon for those wanting backwards compatibility and all the best of what is and what is to come.
https://brainiac.workshoptwelve.com/
This unit looks fantastic, but there's no way in heck I am putting a $699 USD ($934.14 CAD with today's exchange, or $1,055.58 after the 13% sales tax here) Double-DIN unit into an 11-yr old car (and lose the gauges from the spare DIN slot too).

My current single-DIN w/ Bluetooth and no CD drive (because I never play CD's anyway) cost $89 CAD. You can have OBD gauges via wi-fi or bluetooth to a tablet for way less than the cost differential. And some things are best monitored by a hard gauge anyway. Oil pressure for one.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Yeah China just plain out engineers the US any more. Making better stuff at 1/10th the cost. Later this year well be able to buy cars that were completely engineered and manufactured in china here in the US its an exciting new world. Goodbye GM, FORD and DODGE. I believe the government shoulda let the big three die years ago. Greed has ruined these companies. 300% return on investment business plan is bad for everyone. Ask me how i know.
Hmmm, sounds like you would be happier living in China. Let us know what it costs to buy a house and land there, please. :D

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
got mine in today. really suprised it got here so fast. figured a month.
feels really light. the non-monsoon is 3 times as heavy.
as it looked out of the package:

front:

controls:

rear:

connections:

gonna take a little time for me to get to this. just got the car from the shop and need to recover first.
might connect it to a power supply just to see what it looks like.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
deejaaa, please keep me/us posted.

I am really curious on how this turns out. I want a backup camera for my wagon and would love also a better headunit but wouldn't mind expermenting with something.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
I am going to China for work in a week. Wonder if I could pick one up and bring it home? :)
don't see why not.
in 2002, i visited a dealer in Matamoras MX, and sat in a 2003 Beetle. i thought nothing of it at the time but when i look back and realize it was the last year they were built...........
get a connection before you go and it will save you time when you get there.
how long will you be there?

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I will be there for 7 days, 2 of which are for playing. There are three of us going from my facility.

Any idea how I would go about finding a contact for these stereos over there? Would I have any issues trying to bring electronic goods back?