Best Most Bullet Proof Turbo upgrade for ALH

k1rod

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Red
I'm thinking I need to change out my old VNT-15. I have PP520 injectors, a malone Stage 3 tune and a VR6 clutch. What would be the most solid, durable (bullet proof...not really but as close as possible) turbo I could buy for a power upgrade and for durability. I realize that more power equals less durability but I am trying to find the sweet spot here. Right now, I'm thinking VNT-17. But before I go and lay out the cash, I wanted to know if there was a better option. Thanks.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
a 1749vb, based on what you're saying, is probably your best bet. That, or a 17/22 hybrid from www.idparts.com. Very very few reported failures on those turbos. Hope your VR6 clutch will hold up!

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
as said the 17vb is an oe turbo from the manufacturer so theres not much to go wrong with , the 17/22 is a much better turbo in terms of performance and is very well made for a hybrid but hybids are never bullet proof . the other option is a 1756,2056vk , these are the turbos i want for my car basically because they are oem turbos but lagless and move allot of air much better than even the hybids. the only trouble is there not bolt on . this used to put me off but there allot of people who can weld adapter plates for you very easily

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
It all depends on the engine's duty cycle, ie. rally vs commuter vs road course, vs drag strip.

vnt17/52 hybrid seems very good for heavy street (best economy)

vnt gt2260 variants for entry race (expect some lag and smoke low speeds)

wg Holeset H1C 72mm (or equiv) wg-delete ok, found to take alot of abuse on roadcourse. 50psi+ (may cloud sun on tip-in)

Jeff

Last edited:

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Don't forget about the new EFR line from Borg Warner...well built from what I've heard but not abused yet.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
1756vk or gt1852v would be great. Then again, it's more $$ than the bolt in 17/22 hybrid. For that $$ you get similar or better performance with lower EMP's. Theoretically, it's better for your engine. That being said, I'm sure there are handful of members out there with over 100k on their street driven 17/22's, I'm halfway there myself and I'm not too nice to my turbo.

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
If reliability is your main concern, start thinking of the rest of the car. The clutch may or may not be up to the task, and if you're going to increase boost I'd advise getting head studs.
Don't forget additional hardware to get that new turbo working properly, a re-tune for 3 bar, sensor, and proper sized exhaust come to mind, as well as an EGT gauge and sensor.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
I've got the VNT17vb with pp520's, an 11MM Pump and a RC2 / 3 tune. I've just started to slip my luk clutch - which never happened with the VNT15 I replaced. I am very happy with the setup, and just ordered a Stage II Endurance clutch with 23lb smf.

I went with the VNT17 after researching durability as well as not risking overpowering the rest of the stock internals of the engine.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I've had the OEM VNT 15 with RC2 and a 17/22 with RC 4/5/6 and I pull a trailer often.

The VNT 15 would run 5-10 psi boost on a heavy load for hours on end with no problems

The 17/22 has pulled much heavier loads and has run 10-15 psi boost and 1200-1400 EGT's for hours on end and just keeps on going. Pulling 6% 2 mile long grades with the trailer it will run 20-25 psi and 1550-1600F EGT's repeatedly.

I'd consider the 17/22 as it's been very reliable on many cars (I can only think of 1 failure that I've ever heard of).

I'd also seriously consider one of the new GTB1756VK's or GTB2056VK - Newer turbos, OEM turbos, supposed to be better designed and more efficient than the older ones.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
The vnt 17 is going to be your most economical choice. I don't think there is a reliability with the popular hybrids but they do cost a little more. No one has mentioned the KERMA K3 it is probably the most capable drop in unit available.

k1rod

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Red
Thank for all the great responses. I think I have setteled on the VNT17VB. It seems to have the right balance of power, durability, price, ease of installation and OEM factor to meet my needs. Now, I will have to work with Mark on the tune to make sure I don't burn up the new VR6 clutch.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Good idea. Realize that you'll need an adapter for the IC plumbing connection. You'll also need to cut your existing rubber connecting pipe and you will probably need to clock the face of the compressor housing to clear the block. You also need a small bracket to mount the turbo, as it doesn't use the long bracket that is used by the VNT15.

If you need help with identifying specifically what you need, feel free to PM me. You're vendor can surely fill you in.