2000 Golf TDI Swap Project

briandownunda

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Hi, I am new to this forum and have just purchased a complete 2000 Golf TDI that was wrecked in the rear.....the engine & drivetrain is complete and intact. I plan to purchase another complete golf, possibly a gasoline model with good body and interior, and perform a swap to make it a diesel. Just wanted to get an idea of what I am getting into ;-) Any recomendations on what sort of vehicle to purchase to make the job as simple as possible ? (short of another TDI ;-))

Any links to similar projects would be great !

Thanks in advance !

Brian

hagar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 white Jetta 5sp & 2006 Mercedes CDI
If it's only the rear that is damaged, you might be able to cut the rear off, and weld a good rear end back in. Not a backyard job, but I knew some bodyshops that could do that with a front wheel drive vehicle. That was a different country though, not sure if they do it here. Might be a lot easier than replacing the engine.

lagomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 golf
get a car as close to the donor as possible.
That's the easiest way.
Then , trade everything.

if you have a 2001 4 door golf, get another 2001 4 door golf.
you have the complete donor, you can transfer everything needed.

briandownunda

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
more questions on 2000 Golf TDI swap project

Does anyone have any idea how big of a job this really is ? I'm just wondering how much more than an engine/transmission swap it is...e.g. how how of a difference is there between the wiring harnesses on a 2000 gas golf vs.a 2000 tdi golf.....will I need to swap out the entire instrument cluster or ?

Thanks in advance,

Brian