Need help in Syracuse!

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
My daughter is at SU with a 2004 jetta tdi. Car was going into Limp mode followed by difficukt starts also had a Map code, over thanksgiving in Ma. I replaced the lower pancake pipe while she was home since it previously had a pipe without a clip on the intercoolerside and had a fraken connection to the intercooler. Seemed fine, but she had many limp modes on hills on the way back and again dufficult restarts after the limp mode.

Ed Kaprinski is apparently no longer in busness or she coukd not reach him. She brought it to Upstate imports in Syracuse who replaced the turbo hose after keeping it a week. I knew this was nit the solution but was hoping it would get her home. She Picked it up Friday and it stalled and will not restart this morning. Being towed back to upstate, but I dont have much confidence in them.

Does anyone gave any suggestions for soneone whk could help? Shes hoping to drive back to Ma on Friday so i need to get thus fixed in the next couple if days.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
See if you can get it towed west to Waterloo to Select Euro- they are on the trusted list.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the suggestion.

At this point its at Upstate Imports until the morning. She had to get it towed and didn't have anywhere to send it. I couldn't risk sending it that far without speaking to them. I may have it towed there tomorrow if I need to.

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Hi Johnboy, i live within ten minutes of Select Eurocars, and they are probably your best bet for TDI service in the area. If you cant get in there Seneca Auto Sales and Service would be your next best option, the owner Stew owns a VW himself and has some knowledge of them. Best of luck! If i was a actual VW mechanic i would help your daughter out but im afraid id get myself in a tight spot!:eek:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Johnboy, i live within ten minutes of Select Eurocars, and they are probably your best bet for TDI service in the area. If you cant get in there Seneca Auto Sales and Service would be your next best option, the owner Stew owns a VW himself and has some knowledge of them. Best of luck! If i was a actual VW mechanic i would help your daughter out but im afraid id get myself in a tight spot!:eek:
Thanks for the info. I did decided to leave it with Upstate for the morning. They say its a dead lift pump. This does seem to fit in with the symptoms. Hopefully, this fixes it.

Last edited:

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
Did they address the MAP code? Sometimes you can pull the MAP clean it off and be back in business....

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
My daughter got the car back on Wednesday, and so far everything seems good. I think she was misinterpreting the engine stalling at high loads as limp mode. The engine was actually losing power and then stalling because of fuel pump was on its last leg.
They didn't do anything about the map code Beyond replacing the turbo hose that probably only needed seals. She'll be back in Mass tomorrow, and I'll check to see if there's still a code.

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for all the help and suggestions. If she runs into difficulties again, at least now I'll have more options.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm happy to report that my daughter made it back from Syracuse with no issues and no check engine lights. Car is behaving normally. :)