www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old December 13th, 2018, 10:43   #7141
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
The winter tires on the Rondos were subjective. 2 Blizzaks, were reaching the end of their treadlife. The Kellys had great tread left, but I was seeing cracking at the sidewalks. The tread blocks reminded me of old Army Jeep tires. These came with the B4V, so they’re at least 10 years old.
I probably could have gotten away with one more season, but I decided to get a new set. Winter Claw- Arctic Claw Winter XSi... some research said they were Coopers, made in China... marketed under many different names. I went to the store to look at them; they’re made in Europe, and bear the 3 peaked mountain with snowflake icon.
I decided to get a set. Going from 195/55/15 to 185/65/14 reduced the cost pretty dramatically. With instant rebates and discounts I ended up with a set for under $165 mounted and balanced. They’re still in the trunk of the Rotbox.
Trying to figure out what to do with the 3 Coopers, on the Sebrings. Tread still looks great, but Cooper discontinued the Weathermaster ST2, and after reading reviews I want a complete set again. Been searching for the past few nights to find a spare tire.
Interestingly enough, Cooper told me winter tires are made to order. The dealers place their orders in the spring, tires go into production, then they’re shipped out. No more winter tires are made, until the following year.
-Todd
Even if the sidewalls have some cracking, if it's not too bad I would still run them for the short amount of time that they're needed. In addition I would check the date code to see exactly how old they are but even in that case I have had 10 yo tires that are still ok.

If the cracking is minor then I see no reason not to use them. I know there are some people out there who are not comfortable doing that but sometimes I think there's a degree of paranoia with regard to tires even though I accept the fact that tire quality seems to be sliding some, at least with the lower priced tires.

I wouldn't toss the Cooper tires even though you now only have three, perhaps you can replace two of them with new model new next season?

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2018, 19:20   #7142
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

The Kellys are gone. I have tires behind the shed that I need to go through. Some are good and some are bad. Over the summer, I bought a set of tires for the wagon... I could have saved some money, if I’d thought to look. Long story short, I’m trying to clear some stuff out.

The new tires are still in the trunk, but I took a look at them this morning. These are made in the USA. The tire I was shown was the same brand and model, but a different size. Wasn’t expecting that.

No plans to get rid of the 3 Coopers, especially now. Last night, I was doing more searching. I don’t remember how I found it, but the Weathermaster appeared at Discount Tire Direct, as “call for inventory”. I tried searching this morning, before going to work, but I couldn’t find it again. It didn’t show on their site under brand, size, etc.

I called and they had 1 in stock. I got a 30% discount and ordered it. I probably have at least 4-5 hours into searching for this tire. I may have found the last one out there.

The Evolution replaced the Weathermaster, and it doesn’t come in 195/55/15. I originally thought I’d have to order a pair of another brand. The Blizzaks and Kellys worked fine, together. I was looking at Antares winter tires, before I chose the Artic Claws.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote