www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old September 16th, 2018, 13:54   #31
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

this is for my daily driver Jetta will be around 240 Hp and I do not plan on racing with it but I do quite a bit quick sprints, getting on freeways and so on, and I am afraid that I will blow 3rd or 4th gear,
Old September 16th, 2018, 22:44   #32
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXRPM View Post
Ok I really appreciate your help on the info for my tranny,,so we can get back on the right trac ok My golf has been built looooong time ago so this is NOT for my racer car,, My golf got G force gearing inside 1 through 4th gear and its got .658 cryod and wpc on the 5th its got .316 R&P and LSD as well so this is done the 02J and supposedly it is bullet proof so far I have pushed it hard and I haven't messed it up yet,,
Quote:
this is for my daily driver Jetta will be around 240 Hp and I do not plan on racing with it but I do quite a bit quick sprints, getting on freeways and so on, and I am afraid that I will blow 3rd or 4th gear,
Glad I could help, but that's the extent of my knowledge on the 02J. Hopefully you can do some more searching and find someone or a shop that has dealt with 02J transmissions a lot and knows how to re-enforce them.

That or they might tell you the same thing we've been telling you that unless you wanna upgrade to a sequential transmission in your 02J, your best bet is to go with a 02M transmission.

You could try calling FFE Racing and see what they would recommend. http://www.fferacing.com/index.html

Good luck with building your 02J.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
3L3M3NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 22:17   #33
Digital Corpus
Veteran Member

Wouldn't a pinion brace help? There is one you can put on the inside of the bell housing (by the clutch) and the bearing portion that Cascade German sells.
Old September 19th, 2018, 01:07   #34
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

I'm leaning towards 02M tranny, but I'd definitely need an LSD, sigma 6 short shifter, SMF clutch and flywheel, I'm looking around $3.5k easy buying all parts and 6 speed tranny
Old September 19th, 2018, 05:29   #35
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

What would you have in the 02J you were planning? $3.5k sounds cheap

I've got $5.5k in my 02M
- 2k for complete trans swap assembly from europe (includes clutch, axles, starter, etc)
- 900 for Wavetrack LSD
- 800 for someone to install LSD and perform fork fixes
- 800 for a South Bend Clutch/flywheel (been replaced once, another $800 )
- 700 for Raxles (replaced one once, warrantied + $70 in shipping)
- 350 for Sigma 6 Short Shifter

Honestly a 240HP, single turbo ALH daily driver sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Many people just do the complete assembly from europe, reusing all the components so you'd have a bit over $2k in it. The DMF clutch holds around 300 ft lbf if I remember, the axles and such are also sufficient for that torque. For a daily driver I'd think this would be sufficient? I "use" mine a lot, have snow to deal with and Raxles were cheaper than OEM axles (not a fan of CRAP) so that was my rationalization for the $ spent
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 09:53   #36
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

heh I've got about 2k into my 0a6
but I made my own flywheel and splined my own axles, so with a reasonable labor rate it'd be near your 6k number
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 15:31   #37
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm leaning towards 02M tranny, but I'd definitely need an LSD, sigma 6 short shifter, SMF clutch and flywheel, I'm looking around $3.5k easy buying all parts and 6 speed tranny
Yeah, you could probably buy all the parts for close to $3.5K.
$1450 for complete 6 speed swap from Frans at Dutch Auto Parts. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434593
$875 for a Peloquin LSD https://www.fourseasontuning.com/02m...ferential.html
$190 for Sigma 6 Short Shifter
$345 for upgraded shift forks https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Steel...e-02M-02Q.html
$800 for Single Mass Flywheel and clutch kit from DKM Clutch. http://www.dkmclutch.com/base-usa/clutch-kits/ms/
For a grand total of $3,660 for all the complete transmission, plus IMO the necessary upgrades to make the transmission dependable for many years to come.
If you can live without the short shifter and can reinforce the shift forks on your own, you can bring the cost down to $3,125 for just the parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix_Until_Broke View Post
What would you have in the 02J you were planning? $3.5k sounds cheap

I've got $5.5k in my 02M
- 2k for complete trans swap assembly from europe (includes clutch, axles, starter, etc)
- 900 for Wavetrack LSD
- 800 for someone to install LSD and perform fork fixes
- 800 for a South Bend Clutch/flywheel (been replaced once, another $800 )
- 700 for Raxles (replaced one once, warrantied + $70 in shipping)
- 350 for Sigma 6 Short Shifter

Honestly a 240HP, single turbo ALH daily driver sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Many people just do the complete assembly from europe, reusing all the components so you'd have a bit over $2k in it. The DMF clutch holds around 300 ft lbf if I remember, the axles and such are also sufficient for that torque. For a daily driver I'd think this would be sufficient? I "use" mine a lot, have snow to deal with and Raxles were cheaper than OEM axles (not a fan of CRAP) so that was my rationalization for the $ spent
I'm sure quite a few members could just buy the 5 to 6 speed swap and a new OEM or reasonable aftermarket clutch and only have a little bit over $2K into the swap. If they can sell their 5 speed stuff for $8-900, then they only have $1100-$1200 into one of the best upgrades you can do to a MKIV TDI.

Of course for people like Fix_Until_Broke and I, stock hardware just isn't going to cut it for the power and stress these transmissions will see over their lifetime. So we decide to do it right the first time and upgrade the components that are know weak points in the 02M. That's were the extra $2-3K extra can come from when going with a 02M transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
heh I've got about 2k into my 0a6
but I made my own flywheel and splined my own axles, so with a reasonable labor rate it'd be near your 6k number
So how was your post helpful in anyway shape or form? Other than bragging that you only spent $2K on your transmission upgrade with no link to show how you did it or where to get the 0a6, it's a completely useless post.

I know it's not my thread, but I'm guessing MAXRPM doesn't need people posting in his thread that aren't contributing any useful information to help him make his decision on what transmission to go with.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old September 23rd, 2018, 17:46   #38
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3L3M3NT View Post
So how was your post helpful in anyway shape or form? Other than bragging that you only spent $2K on your transmission upgrade with no link to show how you did it or where to get the 0a6, it's a completely useless post.
I dunno man, I can leave if you'd like. OP can build up a dead-end 02j with a bunch of pre-existing (but expensive) parts which won't fix the weak link of the trans case and the world can be a more boring place for it.

where else do you find used euro-parts other than ebay.co-uk
thread's easily found with google, really should stick it in my sig some time

ETA: there, jammed it in my sig for easy access

Last edited by [486]; September 23rd, 2018 at 17:58.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 21:28   #39
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
I dunno man, I can leave if you'd like. OP can build up a dead-end 02j with a bunch of pre-existing (but expensive) parts which won't fix the weak link of the trans case and the world can be a more boring place for it.

where else do you find used euro-parts other than ebay.co-uk
thread's easily found with google, really should stick it in my sig some time

ETA: there, jammed it in my sig for easy access
I'm not saying you have to remove your post, but if you're going to recommend going with a 0A6 transmission it would be nice to include a link on where you got your 0A6 transmission or post where you're installing that transmission.

I agree with you that a 02J isn't a great transmission to use if you're making 200+ hp/ 350+ lb-ft.

Like you mention, now it will be super easy for someone to see the 0A6 link in your sig, click on it and see what you're referring to.
Firefox fix
RTDI Build Thread
Old September 23rd, 2018, 21:55   #40
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

anybody can post on this thread I do not have an issue like most do here(territorial),,,,, so to answer your question yes you are helping tremendously to make my choice on a tranny, I read that 6 speed is not friendly with SMF they say it eats the synchros, DMF is probably the only way then,
Old September 29th, 2018, 22:32   #41
Scott_DeWitt

You can only do so much with stock parts, and the 02J is no exception.
Old September 29th, 2018, 22:35   #42
Scott_DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
Wouldn't a pinion brace help
Pinion brace, diff bolts, 5th gear oiling mods, updated pinion bearing, updated synchros etc etc.. You are still left with gears that have a width of less than 12mm.