ECU outputs for instrument cluster to run aftermarket gauges

lugnutgmc

TDI
Working on TDI swap into Mk1
I've decided to go with aftermarket (autometer or VDO) tach, speedometer, fuel, oil pressure, etc. gauges for my AHU into mk1 swap. I think it'll be easier than trying to frankenstein any cluster into place. I can cut a bezel out of aluminum that mounts in the mk1 dash and mount whatever gauges I need.
Having zero experience with aftermarket gauges, how do I go about ordering ones that are compatible with the signals coming from the various sensors and ECU?
Right now I have full CE2 from the donor jetta. Only thing left from mk1 is lightning. I'd like to take the wires that wouldve gone into the mk3 cluster (reddish maroon plug and white plug) and wire them into the various gauges that I need. With the wiring diagrams its easy to find which wire carries the signal from the ECU, but I'm not sure in what form its sending the signals to the gauges.
Does anyone know? Will most any "programmable, electronic" aftermarket gauge work?
Thanks.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
I've decided to go with aftermarket (autometer or VDO) tach, speedometer, fuel, oil pressure, etc. gauges for my AHU into mk1 swap. I think it'll be easier than trying to frankenstein any cluster into place. I can cut a bezel out of aluminum that mounts in the mk1 dash and mount whatever gauges I need.
Having zero experience with aftermarket gauges, how do I go about ordering ones that are compatible with the signals coming from the various sensors and ECU?
Right now I have full CE2 from the donor jetta. Only thing left from mk1 is lightning. I'd like to take the wires that wouldve gone into the mk3 cluster (reddish maroon plug and white plug) and wire them into the various gauges that I need. With the wiring diagrams its easy to find which wire carries the signal from the ECU, but I'm not sure in what form its sending the signals to the gauges.
Does anyone know? Will most any "programmable, electronic" aftermarket gauge work?
Thanks.
The signals from the TDI engine and ECU are compatible with VDO gauges, however, it's pretty easy to keep the MK1 speedometer. The AHU has the same oil pressure switches as the MK1 gauge wants to see, the water temperature is slightly off - but nothing a 100 ohm resistor inline won't resolve. Easy to move the hall sensor from the 02A/02J transmission and adapt it for cable use for the MK1 - the only thing that won't work out of the box is the tachometer and there are adapters for that - at http://www.fastforward.ca I have tach adapters for $100 Canadian / $80 USD if you are interested.

No point spending a ton of cash unless you need to!