www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 6th, 2017, 00:27   #1
Boostedballs

Fuel Economy: 42-46mpg driving fast and hard
Question High speed left turn shudder and traction light

I think I might have a damaged speed sensor wire or wheel bearing somewhere. When I make a hard left turn at 70mph or so, the fuel seems to cut and the traction control light comes on, shudders for a second then goes away.

I havent had a chance to look at it yet and it doesnt happen but maybe once every day or two.

So how far would the reluctor on the hub have to move away from the sensor before it loses its signal?

Will the computer store a code that would point to one wheel?
Boostedballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:48   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

If the ABS/ESP is working as designed, then no DTCs will be stored. The ABS just thinks there is a loss of signal on one of the wheels, and is responding appropriately.

Unfortunately, I assume for safety reasons, most of the ABS modules will not allow data viewing through the DLC over a certain speed, and that speed is typically very low (like 10 kph). So it isn't like you can just drive the car and watch the data with a laptop when it is happening, and see which of the four wheels drops out.

So, the only thing you CAN do is first do a good visual inspection with the wheels off the ground, and wiggle the wheels for any slop in any of the wheel bearings. Then, if you do not find anything obvious, take all the rotors off to access the wheel speed sensor tone rings. Chances are one of the rings is either cracked, full of debris, or in some cases the sensor itself has a broken tip.

You can also use a very high refresh rate scope to watch the signal generated from the sensors, but you may not be able to spin them fast enough to see anything.

Last edited by oilhammer; December 6th, 2017 at 04:51.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:20   #3
KLXD
Veteran Member

He doesn't mention this happening during braking. Is wheel speed even monitored if brakes aren't applied?

Current: ’02 Jetta, Auto; ’98 Jetta, 5 Spd; ’98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; ’84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): ’85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: ’85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; ’81 Rabbit, 1.6; ’80 Dasher, 1.5; ’79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:52   #4
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXD View Post
He doesn't mention this happening during braking. Is wheel speed even monitored if brakes aren't applied?
You betcha! Monitored all the time. ESP works no matter the brakes' application or not.
Old December 6th, 2017, 09:33   #5
KLXD
Veteran Member

I didn't know they had active braking in 03.

Learn something new every day. But that's why I'm here.

Current: ’02 Jetta, Auto; ’98 Jetta, 5 Spd; ’98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; ’84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): ’85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: ’85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; ’81 Rabbit, 1.6; ’80 Dasher, 1.5; ’79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 10:10   #6
oilhammer

ESP was a rare option on late ALH cars, yes. It was still an option on BEW cars at least early on. Not sure when it became standard.

My otherwise stripper 2005 Beetle, with the base 2.0L gas engine, manual gearbox, no sunroof, steel wheels, no fog lamps, etc. had ESP. But it may have been standard by 2005 on that model.
Old December 6th, 2017, 17:25   #7
Boostedballs

Fuel Economy: 42-46mpg driving fast and hard

I guess I’ll have to jack up the front end and have a good look around, then the rear if I find nothing in the front.
Boostedballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 05:09   #8
oilhammer

And just to clarify, a follow up to KLXD's question, your car does have ESP, correct? There is a button on the center stack?
Old December 7th, 2017, 06:10   #9
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
ESP was a rare option on late ALH cars, yes. It was still an option on BEW cars at least early on. Not sure when it became standard.
My otherwise stripper 2005 Beetle, with the base 2.0L gas engine, manual gearbox, no sunroof, steel wheels, no fog lamps, etc. had ESP. But it may have been standard by 2005 on that model.
ESP is the only option I did not get on my 03 Jetta because of availability. I wished i had it as it probably would have helped me when I slipped off the road this past February. IIRC, it was only a $250 option.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 06:24   #10
oilhammer

It does work pretty well. And it really doesn't add much more complexity to the car beyond the ABS, which was by then standard equipment. All gov't mandated now of course.

Normally I could do without that sort of nannyware, but I have to admit is DOES work, and there were a couple times in my Beetle that it intervened before I even realized there was a need for it to happen. Can't say for sure it would have prevented anything, but it certainly didn't hurt. I've never wrecked a car once, my wits (and my cars kept in good order) have served me well thus far.

The Sprinter's ESP is also tied into something called Crosswind Assist. And boy, that setup works awesome. I have had that come active on me a couple times already, and it is like the hand of God himself reached down and stuck the van to the pavement all of a sudden during a massive wind gust.