Front End Work in Chicago Area-Shimmy

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
I am getting a shimmy in the front end of my 2004 Jetta when I apply my brakes. Another thread indicated LCA bushings. The car is just shy of 100,000 miles on original suspension. Any recommendations on where to take the car?

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Eric:

Usually if it only happens when you brake, it's warped rotors. Have the brakes ever been replaced? Not that worn bushings couldn't cause it, but I'd be more inclined to have the rotors turned or replaced before I changed bushings. Let me know if you need a hand, I have a guy that will turn the rotors for cheap.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
So you've got 100k miles on the original suspension. What about the brakes?

Typically shimmy-when-braking is 99.9% warped discs or similar brake issue (slider pins, etc...). Give the hard braking a try and see if it helps, if not I'd go ahead and do a four-wheel brake job. FWIW, there's precious little on the rotors from 'new' to 'worn' spec (3mm fronts, 2mm rears) and turning them will most likely put you under the 'worn' limit. Some folks do so with no issues but I'd rather spend the $170 for a new brake set from idparts & $10 for new fluid and be done with it for another 100k miles.

My recommendation is the same for anybody in Chicagoland: JasonTDI in Madison.

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
I replaced all four brakes at around 80,000. Braking takes a lot of effort. I am leaning toward warped rotor. Anyway to tell which one? Pads looked good on all 4 after I rotated tires last weekend.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I replaced all four brakes at around 80,000. Braking takes a lot of effort. I am leaning toward warped rotor. Anyway to tell which one? Pads looked good on all 4 after I rotated tires last weekend.
I've used my dial indicator for this before on my wifes Expedition (that pig eats rotors). Pretty simple process, be even easier on the VW's since the rotor is secured to the hub with a screw.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I replaced all four brakes at around 80,000. Braking takes a lot of effort.
Something tells me you've got another underlying issue if this is true. Possibly a vacuum leak? Check the hard line to the brake booster for splits or cracks.

I've used my dial indicator for this before on my wifes Expedition (that pig eats rotors). Pretty simple process, be even easier on the VW's since the rotor is secured to the hub with a screw.
Agreed, a dial indicator is the best way to measure runout.

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
Jason,

PM sent

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Hard brakes on a car indicates bad master. Especially with the warper recent set of rotors. You generally but the booster master in a pair. I don't have appt time til after the 17th of May.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Jason,
PM sent
Replied via phone call

Something tells me you've got another underlying issue if this is true. Possibly a vacuum leak? Check the hard line to the brake booster for splits or cracks.
Agreed, my thought exactly, will measure runout and inspect vacuum hoses.

Hard brakes on a car indicates bad master. Especially with the warper recent set of rotors. You generally but the booster master in a pair. I don't have appt time til after the 17th of May.
If it turns into booster and master cylinder, it's all yours! Not something I have time for.

Will look at it with/for Eric possibly on Wednesday, test drive to verify problem. Measure runout and inspect for bad vacuum lines. Hopefully it's something easy, like vacuum line split and caliper sticky pins.

Just here to hopefully help out a friend in need.

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
Left front rotor was warped. Had it turned it and put it back on. Thanks again for your help Jason!

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
Found a crack in the hose off the vacuum pump. Patched it for now and will order a new hose. Forgot what it was like to have power brakes.