15,000 Miles service Needed??

mediko

I have a 99.5 Jetta TDI. and it is around 15K miles. The maintenance maunal does not suggest oil changes at 15K. it suggests 5k, 10k, 20k, 30k etc... (after every 10K).
But the dealer said that I have to change and pay for it myself, which is around $65.00. Is it true that VW recommends changing every 5K?

DanB35

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mediko:
Is it true that VW recommends changing every 5K?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does the manual say it needs a change at 15k, or that the next one's at 20k? 'Nuff said.

------------------
2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue

Ted

Veteran Member
Mediko,

It is NOT necessary to do an extra oil/filter change @ 15k miles, unless you are using a CF rated synthetic (Mobil 1, et al). In this case, I'd recommend 5000 mile oil/filter changes for the TDI, primarily due to the EGR system, which quickly contaminates the oil with soot and oxides of sulphur and nitrogen.

TooSlick

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Dealer just wants YO MONEY

Tell them to stuff it - you bought the TDI cause it has standard 10k oil changes and low operating costs (yes even counting the T-Belt change).

They will say "oh but most people need to have it changed more frequently than the Owners manual says" BullS**t.

If the average user needed it to be change more fequently it would shorter. The AVERAGE person - and face it most people here are average users - should change the oil every 10k miles.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
If you rotate the tires yourself every 5K, might as well as do the oil change too.

I think?