Diverter Valve

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
‘14 Passat TDI SEL ‘14 Jetta Sport Wagon ‘14 Passat TDI SEL
Does the 2005 Passat TDI have a diverter valve and if so, were is it?
Thank you for your help.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
No, that is a gasser turbo thing.

So I have to ask: why are you asking about a diverter valve?

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for your replies,
I am baffled by this car, 2005 Passat TDI, the first problem was the S hose directly out of the turbo, blew off, put it back on, blew off again?? Bought new hose. Around the same time emission work shop light! Bought a diagnostic code reader, 0299 turbo boost, in my feeble mind I thought too much boost?
I have oil oozing out of the air supply from the turbo at the connection at the bottom of the radiator, and out of the radiator, these are the lowest points, of air from turbo? At one time it would have power with black smoke, then the work shop light sends it into limp mode, if the car is turned off it resets to power for a power burst then limp mode? Any one have any ideas?

oilhammer

TDI
P0299 is low boost. Not sure why the S-hose would have blown off, unless its clips and/or tabs were REALLY worn out.

The boost level is measured at the MAP sensor, up near the firewall (right next to the fuel hoses going to and from the filter).

Since you had that hose blow off, and you have a DTC for low boost, I would check for something restricted between that S-hose and the MAP sensor, like maybe the car has been crashed down low and the crossover pipe is smashed flat?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Or the low boost code set when the hose came off?

Pretty normal on these cars for there to be oil seepage around pretty well all of the IC piping joints.

Have you cleared the code and gone for a drive since the S-hose has been reinstalled?

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you once again for your time. The car has not been in a accident, the hose coming out of the radiator going into the after cooler also blew off, once? I did the shrink wrap method to all joints and that oil is still oozing at the low points.
One more thing that happens? I loose the brakes, they are very hard to push the pedal, but comes back with in seconds? This rarely happens, in the year and 14,000 miles I've put on the car, 4,5 times.
If the turbo was spraying oil would that account for the black smoke with excelleration ?
Thank you for your tips

oilhammer

TDI
You have a vacuum leak somewhere, which is causing the control side of the turbo (which is the ONLY thing that uses vacuum aside from the booster).

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay, I really am frustrated with this.
I have a engine light on
I have reset the codes, and taken the car for a ride
Upon start up emissions workshop
No codes as far as engine
1 code for trans p0741
Car is very sluggish through the gears,both in automatic and shifting
Rpm is as high as 3000 rpm, yet very slow to get to speed 45 max.
New turbo, new n75 turbo boost solenoid, new vacuum tubing, Ive replace a lot of this,
I get vacuum pressure off the pump and out of the air filter,
Here's my question
Are there more than 1 n75 valve?
It seems to me that all air vacuum hoses are on the passenger side.
I have checked the electric boots that plug into the boost solenoid. Long wire to boost.
The n75 boost valve has 3 male fittings that all point up. The old boost solenoid had one pointing down?
Anyone see anything I could check?

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
I wanted to understand The n 75 boost solenoid valve, which pulls about 22 psi of vacuum at idle.
Using a hand vacuum pump I see the actuator start to move at roughly 8-10 psi, maxes out at 15?
Does the N75 vary these pressures at higher speeds? And at idle are the greatest?

oilhammer

TDI
The N75's duty cycle is controlled by the ECU, which is doing so to control the boost based on demand (load) in the programming.

Vacuum is measured in inches of mercury (in/Hg), not psi, FYI.

Regardless, you need to watch the data with a scan tool, actual vs. requested.

Last edited:

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
The tool I have is a vgate, so I do not have the ability to get cmu data, the point I want to make is the car doesn't have a vacuum leak from the source, to the actuator, to the air filter those all have vacuum of equal numbers. 2005 Passat TDI has a simple vacuum diagram.
The engine starts right up it seems to have a knock when cold, heavy white, gray smoke. I get a sparatic p 0299 code. Plus engine light and emissions work shop. It will die out when cold and put into gear?

oilhammer

TDI
Tow the car to me, I could probably tell you what is wrong with it within an hour. Tough to say what all you have going on, but I could guess a few things but without the proper tools you'll be spinning your wheels.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Tow the car to me, I could probably tell you what is wrong with it within an hour. Tough to say what all you have going on, but I could guess a few things but without the proper tools you'll be spinning your wheels.

This - unless you get lucky or you are happy to replace needless parts until you hit the correct one.

You really need a proper scan tool like VCDS to plot requested vs actual boost.

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for taking interest in this post, I don't look at replacing parts as being needlessly.
Like my inexperience shows, I am not a mechanic, I need to be guided to the area of the problem. If I have to replace a turbo, the car has 214,00 miles, 200,000 of those miles were not mine, so I replaced parts. I have a water pump sitting on the shelf, and a belt, I don't mind taking stuff apart. I have dropped a trans, and replaced the torque converter on a 2011 Golf. To me it's fun. So if we are done with the mild insults, go to my latest post 'Help' use your overflowing knowledge there.
Fairbanks

oilhammer

TDI
Thank you for taking interest in this post, I don't look at replacing parts as being needlessly.
Like my inexperience shows, I am not a mechanic, I need to be guided to the area of the problem. If I have to replace a turbo, the car has 214,00 miles, 200,000 of those miles were not mine, so I replaced parts. I have a water pump sitting on the shelf, and a belt, I don't mind taking stuff apart. I have dropped a trans, and replaced the torque converter on a 2011 Golf. To me it's fun. So if we are done with the mild insults, go to my latest post 'Help' use your overflowing knowledge there.
Fairbanks

Wow... LOL. OK, then. Good luck.

(torque converter on a 2011 Golf? Interesting.... )

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
I am sorry, ... it's the pressure plate clutch assembly!
I had torque converter on my mind because of a previous post!
Still amusing yourself?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
We're trying to guide you and save you money by pointing you in the direction of what's needed to make a proper diagnosis.

You can lead a horse to water... etc...

oilhammer

TDI
Funny, my next offer was to come get it and tow it back here... now I have no interest in helping at all. Bridge burned.

And yes, it would be a piece of cake. And no, I am not amused. Sad, actually.

So again, good luck, you'll need it. :)