LED headlight question

FtSurgDoc

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I have a 2013 Passat TDI SEL.
I would like to put LED headlights in it, but I have several questions:

1) How do they compare in brightness to HID?
2) What do people mean when they talk about having "projectors"? Is that in reference to the housing only, like do I have to get the LED bulbs AND the projector housing, or if I get the projector housing, does it include LED bulbs? I have seen a projector housing for both sides (L&R included in kit) for $199. See below

https://www.theautopartpros.com/201...AfJKIM1S_0BQ03XtinJNFgX6pLdEKOHxoCwN8QAvD_BwE

3) if the projector housing is an option that may or may not be used with the bulbs, what is the difference with it and without it?

4) Any good recommendations on brand and array of equipment needed would be helpful. (Do I need 4, 6, or 8 bulbs for a full conversion? (high beam, low beam, DRL and Fog??))

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
projectors vs reflectors housings.

stock housings are designed to be used with halogens, you slide an HID bulb in there and it's not going to be pretty.

You can run halogens in either projector or reflectors, as long as the housing is designed for the bulb. But swapping a different bulb style, be it HID, LED or something else, if it's not designed, the light pattern and blindingness will be unbearable to on coming drivers.

I have heard of LED bulb replacements that are direct plug and play for H7 halogen bulbs and reflector housings, but haven't had any first hand experience with them. I'd take what the person selling you the bulb claims.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
projectors vs reflectors housings.

stock housings are designed to be used with halogens, you slide an HID bulb in there and it's not going to be pretty.

You can run halogens in either projector or reflectors, as long as the housing is designed for the bulb. But swapping a different bulb style, be it HID, LED or something else, if it's not designed, the light pattern and blindingness will be unbearable to on coming drivers.

I have heard of LED bulb replacements that are direct plug and play for H7 halogen bulbs and reflector housings, but haven't had any first hand experience with them. I'd take what the person selling you the bulb claims.
...with a grain (or several grains!) of salt...

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
740GLE said:
I'd take what the person selling you the bulb claims.
...with a grain (or several grains!) of salt...
VERY true. A salesman will tell you whatever you want to hear in order to make a sale.

There are several HID vendors that claim their kits are a direct plug and play, produce no blinding glare, and have FANTASTIC light output. Even after I called them out with their pics and videos.

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
I have a 2013 Passat TDI SEL.
I would like to put LED headlights in it, but I have several questions
Don’t do it. Don’t be one of those people who but blindingly bright lights on a vehicle that wasn’t designed for it. I made that mistake once and will never do it again. Aside from the cost (bulbs, wiring harness, relays) and time spent installing (removing headlamps, rewriting, aiming beam pattern), they get annoying to other drivers. The glare is hideous for only marginally brighter light output.

My recommendation is to be to save your money and invest in a GOOD pair of halogen bulbs. A good set would set you back about $50 and the light output will only be a little lower than LED/HIDs, but the housings will last longer, no modification required and incoming drivers won’t cuss you as you pass :)

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
My recommendation is to be to save your money and invest in a GOOD pair of halogen bulbs. A good set would set you back about $50 and the light output will only be a little lower than LED/HIDs, but the housings will last longer, no modification required and incoming drivers won’t cuss you as you pass :)
Or you could invest in proper headlight assemblies (like Ed's if you can find a set) then install HID's.

Then you would have a FANTASTIC set of headlights that rivals anything on the road.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Without changing the actual headlights there are two things you can do.
Sylvania sells some H7 bulbs, I believe. "XT or XE " in the model which are better than stock. Not cheap!
Next someone with a VCDS can up the voltage to the headlights to full or unregulated. That can also be done for the tail lights.

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Sylvania sells some H7 bulbs, I believe. "XT or XE " in the model which are better than stock. Not cheap!
I had Silverstar zXe in my last car. Without a doubt the brightest halogens I’ve ever used, and a crisp, white light. Not too pricey at ~$50. Sadly I couldn’t find them for my Passat, and ended up going with Philips’ line instead.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
YES for better halogen bulbs, and also raising (a little) the bulb focus. Most (all?) of the NMS Passats come from the factory focused WAY too low.

FtSurgDoc

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Really great advice! Thanks everyone! I will probably just do the Sylvania Xe bulbs then, and maybe boost voltage.

How is the life span on those premium bulbs? I tried something in my Dodge pickup about 8 years ago, and memory says they didn't last as long. For the $$ it was a pricey experiment that didn't work out.

Thoughts on those bulbs?

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
You’re right that they may not last as long but I usually change them every 2ish years anyway- halogen bulbs deteriorate over time and in the grand scheme, $40 every 2 years is hardly noticeable. I think 2-3 years is a good estimate of average life of them though.

flyboybob

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi se dsg, ‘15 passat tdi sel premium
i got acceptable results by switching to these and re-aiming the beams:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/LMABPH7LGL

my napa store offers me a small discount over the price shown so i feel these are reasonably priced.

i drive w my headlights on all the time (habit from military days) and still get about 2 years (50K miles) out of these.

even without a voltage adjustment, w this setup i no longer feel uncomfortable about sight distance at night on unlit country roads.

bob.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I have the halogen reflector specific deautokey HID 5K kit in my low beams, the light is great and the only artifacts I can see against the white wall in my garage are from a reflection off the trim on the bottom of the headlight housing. I have driven against them in my other car, they are no more or less annoying than any other oncoming vehicle. The only thing I’d do different is get the 6K bulbs as the 5K are not as bright white as I was used to from the factory HID set on my Touareg. The HID set is easily 2-3 times brighter than my OE lights and the kit is fully plug and play. My factory high beams are dim by comparison, but I can see them clearly over the low beam HID pattern. I swapped all my other exterior bulbs to the deautokey LED replacements with great results.

I was looking at using an LED bulb for my high beams only. They would only be used for flashing someone or on an open road, so the beam pattern artifacts are less critical than they would be on low beams.

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I have the halogen reflector specific deautokey HID 5K kit in my low beams....
+1 I will also praise this kit.

I have the same kit (mine's 5000K as well) from deautokey. They are fantastic. They seem to be well built and they are modified to be used in a halogen housing. (no blinding glare to oncoming traffic) The adapter that goes into the light housing is a bit flimsy and installing them in an NMS is a bit of a hassle but it's well worth it.

As you mention, the light output is easily double the OEM's lo-beams, perhaps 2.5x brighter.

I think much of the rest of deautokey's LEDs are overpriced but they do work. (I also bought their reverse kit) The rest of my LEDS (rear, interior) were much more reasonably priced. Only the plate needed resistors.

I'd love to get one of those Chinese Headlamp kits (with LEDs and HIDs) but I'm not that daring yet (very little feedback, if any in English). For now, my Passat's light output is as good or better than my cars with OEM HIDs.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
+1 I will also praise this kit.

I have the same kit (mine's 5000K as well) from deautokey. They are fantastic. They seem to be well built and they are modified to be used in a halogen housing. (no blinding glare to oncoming traffic) The adapter that goes into the light housing is a bit flimsy and installing them in an NMS is a bit of a hassle but it's well worth it.

As you mention, the light output is easily double the OEM's lo-beams, perhaps 2.5x brighter.

I think much of the rest of deautokey's LEDs are overpriced but they do work. (I also bought their reverse kit) The rest of my LEDS (rear, interior) were much more reasonably priced. Only the plate needed resistors.

I'd love to get one of those Chinese Headlamp kits (with LEDs and HIDs) but I'm not that daring yet (very little feedback, if any in English). For now, my Passat's light output is as good or better than my cars with OEM HIDs.
We have a set of the OE Chinese bi-xenon AFS headlights that we picked up several years ago if you're interested. PM me for more details.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
There has been some advancement of LED lights to be used as low beam bulbs in reflector (better choice) and projector headlight assemblies. Here is one option that you need to research further to see how it might work in your situation. Having a 30 day trial period (minus the shipping back cost) does lower your risks with this newer technology.

I am in the process of researching these too.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There has been some advancement of LED lights to be used as low beam bulbs in reflector (better choice) and projector headlight assemblies. Here is one option that you need to research further to see how it might work in your situation. Having a 30 day trial period (minus the shipping back cost) does lower your risks with this newer technology.
I am in the process of researching these too.
My roommate recently installed a similar set of LED retrofit lamps in his projector headlight housings. They work okay, but the focus isn't quite correct due to the different focal point of the LED modules inside of the housing (slightly wider source of light than a tungsten filament). There beam has a dark spot and the field is brighter than it would normally be, making the pattern look similar to a doughnut.