09a EYP Vehicle Speed Sensor issues, possibly TCM issues

TreyDavis

TDI
I have this posted over at VWVortex as well, but I have read much of my 09a transmission information from over here, so I figured maybe you guys could have some useful insight.

I have been experiencing all kinds of fun transmission problems with my 2002 Jetta equipped with the 5-speed tiptronic transmission.

I originally threw a code for P0722: Vehicle Speed Sensor, no signal. No speedometer reading up until about 10-12 mph and no 5th gear. Removed transmission, replaced all three speed sensors in the inside of the transmission. Reassembled and tried it out.

From there, I was still receiving the previous code with no improvements. Only possible issue from there I thought was the transmission control module. Today, I received a remanufactured transmission control module with the revised part number (09A927750T to 09A927750AJ).

I thought I may have had to have the TCM reprogrammed/flashed, but that is apparently not the case.

I then experienced two new codes: P0501: Vehicle Speed Sensor, performance range and P2637: Torque Management signal.

I cleared the codes and tried driving it again, but still to no avail. These codes have yet to return and no CEL has lit up, but I have a P0722 code stored again.

It was suggested I check the harness between the transmission and the TCM now, so I will be checking that tomorrow as well.

I have checked the grounds from chassis to transmission as well. All 9 sensors and solenoids were replaced shortly (2 weeks) before I began experiencing VSS problems. The transmission pin-out ohmed out fine.

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

TreyDavis

TDI
Checked resistances on TCM harness. Input speed sensor, output speed sensor and intermediate speed sensor resistances all checked out fine. No codes have returned yet since I last cleared the computer, but problem remains.

Any ideas?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I thought the five speed auto(09A) didn't become available until 2004 MY. I would think you have a four speed auto(01M). Please clarify.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I assume this is a 1.8t car... the 09A replaced the 01M in those cars in late 2001.

You should be able to read vehicle speed in one of the measuring groups of the TCM. I am pretty sure the actual VSS on the differential does NOT go to the TCM directly however, but goes to either the engine controller or the instrument cluster first, then that signal is broadcast down the CAN bus to any modules that require it.

I'd look to see if the instruments, radio, ABS, SRS, CAN gateway have any stored DTCs as well.

Keep in mind, it may just be the VSS signal goes directly to the instrument cluster on 01M and 02J cars, not 09A.

Keep in mind, that DTC denotes the 'output speed sensor', not the actual vehicle speed sensor, although there is often some confusion with VAG on the semantics of these things.

Last edited:

TreyDavis

TDI
Yes, sorry for the confusion. This is a 1.8t car. The Output Speed Sensor (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is located inside of the transmission and the harness goes from the transmission to the TCM. Everything ohmed out fine. Possible shorts, but the company that sold me the TCM said it may be a faulty unit and offered me another one. I'll be trying that and investigating possible shorts tonight.