Grand Cherokee CRD, Converting the family over to Diesel

!FIRSTTDI!

TDI
09 Jetta
So I am looking to dump my beloved 4Runner Limited AWD V8 because my commute is going to increase to 100 miles a day. I can get about 22,000-24,000 for my 4Runner and have found some used Grand Cherokee CRD for about the same. I have already changed my wife over from a Volvo S60R to a Jetta TDI and that went somewhat well. I am really worried about the reliability, is it worth the gain of 5-6MPG? Do any of you have first hand knowledge of this vehicle, or have done the same?

The reason I pose this question here vise the Grand Cherokee CRD sites is I have been unimpressed with what passes for "objective opinion"

The towing capacity and price need to match with my 4Runner or my wife will neuter me, which puts the Touareg out.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
!FIRSTTDI! said:
So I am looking to dump my beloved 4Runner Limited AWD V8 because my commute is going to increase to 100 miles a day. I can get about 22,000-24,000 for my 4Runner and have found some used Grand Cherokee CRD for about the same. I have already changed my wife over from a Volvo S60R to a Jetta TDI and that went somewhat well. I am really worried about the reliability, is it worth the gain of 5-6MPG? Do any of you have first hand knowledge of this vehicle, or have done the same?

The reason I pose this question here vise the Grand Cherokee CRD sites is I have been unimpressed with what passes for "objective opinion"

The towing capacity and price need to match with my 4Runner or my wife will neuter me, which puts the Touareg out.
the engine is a mercedes benz (daimler engine) ; a great motor

unfortunately the rest of the car is jeep (dodge) which means reliability of tranny, front end (ball joints) may be poor

still , i would purchase one in a heartbeat, just get the extended warranty
http://drivingtv.canada.com/CarReviewVideos.php?ccID=502

http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_0702_2007_jeep_grand_cherokee_crd_review/index.html

http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grandcherokee/2007/consumerreview.html

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
I have a friend who has one, and he loves it.

Don't think you need to worry about towing comparisons with the Toyauto.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Grand Cherokee with the diesel (and the 3.7L gas V6) use an MB automatic transmission, not a Chrysler unit.

The 4Runner is a superior vehicle, and the 4.7L Toyota V8 is one of THE best engines you can buy. Only downside is, it is not very frugal. The Grand Cherokee is a mediocre platform at best, IMHO, and the MB engine to me would not be enough reason all by itself to purchase one. I would also be concerned about what appears to be a distancing of MB and Chrysler lately, and the general lack of knowledge and 'orphaning' of any MB tech in the Chrysler line.

If it were my choice, I would keep the 4Runner and use it when I needed that type of vehicle (which in my case would be pretty much never, but...) and purchase a used TDI for daily driving duties.

!FIRSTTDI!

TDI
09 Jetta
Thanks for the input, the more I look into it the less I want to get rid of my 4Runner. It is just the perfect SUV and I am sure I will end up giving up something if I do get rid of it. Getting another commuter is more then likely the best choice, I hate to have to get a 3rd vehicle though. With the jeeps MPG it could do both, but I would sacrifice. Now if I could get a reasonably price used TDI here in Ca I would be happy!

oilhammer

TDI
Check out Wild Rose Motors in Whittier. He has an excellent selection, and they have all been gone through to insure they are all in excellent working order.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I was going to say as a Liberty CRD owner, I don't know if I could warmly suggest you trade a Toyota SUV for a Jeep SUV. I have no experience with the GC, but the issues with the Liberty have been mind numbing at times.

Daily I'm reminded of why I like my VWs.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I looked at a couple of these GC CRDs this morning. The local dealer said they've had a real hard time moving them. I guess they bought 5 of them from auction - - all had been filled with guzzoline. I'm not sure how that will affect warranty. The two I saw had less than 8k miles.

!FIRSTTDI!

TDI
09 Jetta
Oilhammer, they do have a bunch, I just cant get over the price. I paid 22800 for my wife’s 09. Its good they keep their price I just have a hard time pulling the trigger on one at half the cost of my wife’s with 80000+ miles on it. I know they run for ever......but it is a third vehicle for us, maybe I will go older and look at a Mercedes turbo sedan for a commuter, they seem to have a good rep as well, and they are cheaper. I think you may be right about the MB support for the CRD as well......I guess we will see, I have some time before I need to make up my mind.

KC, The liberty just doesn’t have the tow capacity or power I need.

!FIRSTTDI!

TDI
09 Jetta
Dieseldorf, Maybe with the problems coming to the big 3 they will bottom out on price and I can get one on the real cheap when I get home.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
!FIRSTTDI! said:
...and I can get one on the real cheap when I get home.
Could be. She (sales girl) said they had them so long that they ended up owning them for far more than the current auction prices.

Is the "Overland" trim pkg good or bad :confused:

Zlartibartfast

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD 2009 Jetta Sportwagen
When my 4L I6 ZJ was destroyed, I was ready to go get a WK CRD right away. Sadly, my insurance settlement came too late, and I got a JSW TDI to replace the Jeep. I really like the JSW, but if I could, I'd get that WK CRD (and I still might get one, if finances permit).

With FIAT taking over Chrysler, I suspect the future of the Jeep CRD will include an Italian powerplant. The 3.0 MB motor is DaBomb, and the WK is a very solid truck. I say go get one of the MB versions NOW while you still can!

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
!FIRSTTDI! said:
Oilhammer, they do have a bunch, I just cant get over the price. I paid 22800 for my wife’s 09. Its good they keep their price I just have a hard time pulling the trigger on one at half the cost of my wife’s with 80000+ miles on it. I know they run for ever......but it is a third vehicle for us, maybe I will go older and look at a Mercedes turbo sedan for a commuter, they seem to have a good rep as well, and they are cheaper. I think you may be right about the MB support for the CRD as well......I guess we will see, I have some time before I need to make up my mind.

I know, I'm just saying that it's not the CRD that's been the issue (unless you count a blown turbo hose and a return fuel line clip coming off major problems), but the constant repair to the AC system, the fact that parts must be ordered, inability to get a GP offline (as in at a store, other than the dealer)... it's not for the faint of heart.

I'd hope the GC has none of the issues the Liberty had; but... it's Chrysler...

!FIRSTTDI!

TDI
09 Jetta
greengeeker said:
maybe look outside Kalifornia?
I think I may, I would have for the WK CDR anyway. Other then the 09 I plate most of my rides in Ohio. It is cheaper and I dont have to worry about Ca regs.

!FIRSTTDI!

TDI
09 Jetta
dieseldorf said:
Could be. She (sales girl) said they had them so long that they ended up owning them for far more than the current auction prices.

Is the "Overland" trim pkg good or bad :confused:
The Overland is the top pkg, some have AWD like my 4Runner.

!FIRSTTDI!

TDI
09 Jetta
kcfoxie said:
I know, I'm just saying that it's not the CRD that's been the issue (unless you count a blown turbo hose and a return fuel line clip coming off major problems), but the constant repair to the AC system, the fact that parts must be ordered, inability to get a GP offline (as in at a store, other than the dealer)... it's not for the faint of heart.

I'd hope the GC has none of the issues the Liberty had; but... it's Chrysler...
That is a lot of issues. I have only personally known one person who has ever used the Ca lemon law to return a auto, and his was a gasser Liberty. I have had several pre-Chrysler Jeeps, loved them. It is funny about Chrysler products though, everyone I know has had issues with them, all the ones I have owned never anything major, I even had a K car that from what I hear is still running! The worse problems I had was a Dakota that went through ball joints every 35,000 miles (I think it was the lift) and a Smirf blue Volarie that would once a year blow all its fuses!

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I give the Jeep much slack because it was used. We didn't know what the last owner did or didn't do to it. The biggest concern was the leaking filter head assembly, which was replaced. You know there is a problem when you pull an electrical connection and find diesel fuel in the plug!

But, really, HOW many VWs have split their turbo inlet pipes? It's really common on 1.8T VWs; and the return fuel line was a total fluke that I STILL don't know how it happened, but a 3 cent part fixed it (granted Jeep wanted $32 for the same c-clamp).

However if it is a lot to contend with, do mull it over in your decision.

We like the Jeep but can't say we'd recommend it to most people we know because they simply won't give it the attention it requires. I would say it's like a Cockatoo, if you don't give it the required amount of attention your going to lose an awful lot of blood down the line.

replace blood with money, cockatoo with Jeep diesel.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
!FIRSTTDI! said:
The Overland is the top pkg, some have AWD like my 4Runner.
So, Overland > Limited?

Thx.

Aren't the majority of these things 4wheelers??

FanofAllDiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Gls
You can go to wkjeeps.com and find all of the information about options by year for the Grand Cherokees. Yes, the Overland is the next higher trim level from the Limited. It goes Laredo->Limited->Overland

The jeeps that you are seeing at the dealer that have the reported fuel problem should be 07's. I believe that there were a lot of them that were shipped from the factory with the wrong fuel type. I have heard that it was B50 instead of the factory recommended max of B5, but I'm not sure. It is my understanding that they pulled them all back and replaced the whole fuel system.

Anyway, we have an 07 and really like it. We have not had any major problems in 28+K miles. We see around 20 MPG with the wife's daily driving and on a long trip from MD to Kansas we averaged 24.

Given that we paid a lot more for ours in July of 07, I really believe that low 20's is a steal. The web support system for these are not nearly as good as tdiclub, but Jeepforum.com and JeepsUnlimited.com do offer some support.

I also just found out from Jeff that he has a tune for them, so that ups my excitement factor.

Jeff

JakeGMCHD

Wife drives ours, with 21-26 mpg. Now has 16k miles on it. Sure beats the Hemi it replaced for fun and fuel use.

What tune are you talking about?

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
!FIRSTTDI! said:
The Libby CRD will match your 4runner. How much capacity do you need? The diesel and 545RFE is a good match for towing.

oilhammer

TDI
UFO said:
The Libby CRD will match your 4runner. How much capacity do you need? The diesel and 545RFE is a good match for towing.
Not hardly. The Prado-based 4.7L 4Runner is rated to tow 7000 pounds, the Libby (no matter what engine) is 5000. I suspect the smaller size of the Libby is the limiting factor, as the engine I am sure is capable of MUCH more.

Keep in mind, the Prado platform is substantially larger than the old Hilux Surf based platform 4Runners. It is the same mechanically as the Lexus GX470, and they use the same running gear as the Land Cruiser Cygnus (sold here as the Toyota Landcruiser/Lexus LX).

!FIRSTTDI!

TDI
09 Jetta
oilhammer said:
Not hardly. The Prado-based 4.7L 4Runner is rated to tow 7000 pounds, the Libby (no matter what engine) is 5000. I suspect the smaller size of the Libby is the limiting factor, as the engine I am sure is capable of MUCH more.

Keep in mind, the Prado platform is substantially larger than the old Hilux Surf based platform 4Runners. It is the same mechanically as the Lexus GX470, and they use the same running gear as the Land Cruiser Cygnus (sold here as the Toyota Landcruiser/Lexus LX).
The Liberty is not even a close match in towing; mine is actually rated at 7800 due to the AWD and Air suspension combo. I tow up to 6500lbs but generally less. With 270Hp and more importantly 330 lbs toque I can drag it up and down the hills all day. The WK CDR is a good match on that front.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a fundamental concern about the dealers in my area being able to work on it when something goes wrong. I'm in a CARB state and these vehicles were never sold here (as new). I don't know how much of an issue this is or the concern about Chrysler disappearing from the scene over the next few years after the FIAT experiment fails.

On paper, this GC CRD would be a good solution for our towing needs. My wife isn't keen on adding a pick up truck that would be used only a couple times per year. However, she could use the GC CRD as her daily driver and it has sufficient towing capacity.

!FIRSTTDI!

TDI
09 Jetta
dieseldorf said:
I have a fundamental concern about the dealers in my area being able to work on it when something goes wrong. I'm in a CARB state and these vehicles were never sold here (as new). I don't know how much of an issue this is or the concern about Chrysler disappearing from the scene over the next few years after the FIAT experiment fails.

On paper, this GC CRD would be a good solution for our towing needs. My wife isn't keen on adding a pick up truck that would be used only a couple times per year. However, she could use the GC CRD as her daily driver and it has sufficient towing capacity.
Thats one of my concerns is to add third auto instead of finding something that can meet my needs and be a good commuter (over 100 miles a day).

!FIRSTTDI!

TDI
09 Jetta
FanofAllDiesels said:
You can go to wkjeeps.com and find all of the information about options by year for the Grand Cherokees. Yes, the Overland is the next higher trim level from the Limited. It goes Laredo->Limited->Overland

The jeeps that you are seeing at the dealer that have the reported fuel problem should be 07's. I believe that there were a lot of them that were shipped from the factory with the wrong fuel type. I have heard that it was B50 instead of the factory recommended max of B5, but I'm not sure. It is my understanding that they pulled them all back and replaced the whole fuel system.

Anyway, we have an 07 and really like it. We have not had any major problems in 28+K miles. We see around 20 MPG with the wife's daily driving and on a long trip from MD to Kansas we averaged 24.

Given that we paid a lot more for ours in July of 07, I really believe that low 20's is a steal. The web support system for these are not nearly as good as tdiclub, but Jeepforum.com and JeepsUnlimited.com do offer some support.

I also just found out from Jeff that he has a tune for them, so that ups my excitement factor.

Jeff
Does the dealership Techs seem like they know what they are doing with the MB power plant?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
!FIRSTTDI! said:
Thats one of my concerns is to add third auto instead of finding something that can meet my needs and be a good commuter (over 100 miles a day).
Yeah, few vehicles can handle both from my POV. I guess the V6 Touareg diesel willl be similar to the Overland diesel - - but then you've got to deal with the VW0A service organization. MBz has a several that would work if you're in the $50k+ price range.

!FIRSTTDI!

TDI
09 Jetta
dieseldorf said:
Yeah, few vehicles can handle both from my POV. I guess the V6 Touareg diesel willl be similar to the Overland diesel - - but then you've got to deal with the VW0A service organization. MBz has a several that would work if you're in the $50k+ price range.
Thats part of the issue, I am trying to stay right when I am at now in terms of cost 22000-25000

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
!FIRSTTDI! said:
The Liberty is not even a close match in towing; mine is actually rated at 7800 due to the AWD and Air suspension combo. I tow up to 6500lbs but generally less. With 270Hp and more importantly 330 lbs toque I can drag it up and down the hills all day. The WK CDR is a good match on that front.
Wow, I guess I didn't know that. It sounds like the old 4Runner has been replaced with a Land Cruiser. If you want towing capacity and fuel mileage, maybe you should look at a diesel Suburban or crew-cab diesel pickup, something that truly can tow those sorts of loads.

My Libby CRD is perfect for towing my track car on a trailer (almost 5000 lbs), so if you need to tow horses or a huge RV, the GC CRD is not a good match either.