300k rollover

corzy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 jetta
hey guys, so the ole 99 just rolled over 300 000 km and went back to 0. not sure the reason for this, but ive had the car since 170000km and was wondering if there was a way to know the actual mileage, since i guess he could have 600 or even 900..yikes

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, those reset at 300k but you'll lose the word 'total' IIRC.

Your ECU may still track the true mileage, though.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
The word "total" was there prior to rolling from 299,999. After 300,000, it's gone. So, if you did see the "total" before, you know the mileage. If it wasn't there, you may have made it to 600K.

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
Yeah luckily once you hit 300K again the odometer will not read a anymore :)

IIRC:

300,000 -----> 0
(600,000) 300,000 -----> $^@!%$^

Mine reads around 5K now. I saw a car at an auction for sale (Jetta TDI) it had 160K on it and it did not have the "total" part on it. They registered the car's miles as "actual miles", poor person, whoever bought it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I saw a car at an auction for sale (Jetta TDI) it had 160K on it and it did not have the "total" part on it. They registered the car's miles as "actual miles", poor person, whoever bought it.
No kidding, they won't get to brag about how many miles that car has covered!

TDI_

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI_
Yeah that's exactly what went through my head. The car got sold and was not there the following week.

I remember it being drive-able and clear title. Just was hit on the side.

corzy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 jetta
ok, ya i think i remember seeing the total prior (wish i asked before so i could have been sure hahaha) but now that its saying like 9 and nothing else at all, it just looks weird, so im thinking its 300...not really a big deal, but just curious i guess...he's pretty rotten, i just welded in a floor (just under the old rusty crap) and the frame rails are real soft...no power steering (pretty expensive for hoses these days hahaa) lots of other small things that i just cant be bothered with..she runs and drives (no turbo too hahaha) oh and stops
bout all i care about till the frame rails drop and im dragging the rear end to the dump

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
This comes up every so often that it should be stickied topic

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
Mine just rolled over 300K last weekend....

it now reads 300300 and going higher....

guess the Passats don't reset like the Jettas?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Mine just rolled over 300K last weekend....

it now reads 300300 and going higher....

guess the Passats don't reset like the Jettas?
They do not, they accumulate like one would expect. I think the one in my B3V conversion now has 375k miles on it.

Steve