Veggie Kits in Canada?

kingkos

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI
Has anyone here successfully converted their tdi to run on WVO? if so, did you use a kit, or was it homemade. Where would I even find a kit in Canada? I am seriously considering a WVO conversion or brewing up some biodiesel.

kingkos

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI
not much of a response up here for this stuff. I guess I'll go forward with putting the kit in this spring/summer and let you guys know how it goes. I'll probably jus get the kit from greasecar (i've heard good things about their kit).

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Disclaimer: I have not done this, and I am of the opinion that the risks on TDI engines are too high. And our cold weather isn't favorable for this sort of thing. But ...

The only vegetable oil conversion that I know of which offers TUV approval (in Europe) and offers a warranty on the conversion, is the Elsbett conversion. www.elsbett.com I do not know if they have anything available in Canada.

Greasecar just gives some generic "you're on your own but we haven't heard of too much trouble" statement on their website ... and we've heard of trouble here.

VWScully

Veteran Member
TDI
looking for one :/
Brewing BioDiesel is a far better option for our climate. In the winter, you can use lower blends to reduce the chance of gelling. SVO is almost useless in the Winter around here; that is why I put my effort into building a BioDiesel processor rather than convert my Rabbit to SVO. I also have a Diesel truck too so it makes sense to be able to use the 'green fuel' in more than 1 vehicle.
Good luck :).

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I green meeting in Waterloo, not that far from Hamilton.

Craig B

Greetings again biofuel advocates,

I regret to inform you that I made an error in my previous message
(below). The meeting was originally scheduled for Monday, March 6th,
however due to a scheduling problem with our presenter Joe Street it
has been moved to Tuesday, March 14th. Same location, same start
time. I apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have posted my message on any other forum or list, please
correct the date there as well.

Thanks, and I hope to meet you all on the 14th.

Regards,
Andrew Netherton

On 2/17/06, Andrew Netherton <andrewnetherton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> You are invited to attend the first meeting to help plan and shape a
> biofuel co-operative headquartered in Waterloo. In attendance will be
> Joe Street, who has developed a reliable biodiesel reactor and started
> http://www.nonprofitfuel.ca in order to promote biofuels. My name is
> Andrew Netherton, and I'm assisting Joe in the organization and
> administration of this group.
>
> We will be meeting on Monday, March 6th at 7pm in Waterloo. The
> location is Sobeys at 450 Columbia Street (at Fischer-Hallman) in
> Waterloo in the community room upstairs (enter and go left). There is
> no set agenda to the meeting, but the focus will be on organizing the
> group, what structure would serve us best, and a vision for what we'd
> like to accomplish in the short, medium, and long term. And of
> course, meeting and greeting each other!
>
> Please feel free to forward this message on to anyone else that may be
> interested in either attending or following our progress. Any
> questions can be forwarded to myself.
>
> Thanks, and see you there!
>
> Regards,
> Andrew Netherton
>

kingkos

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI
thanks for the tip scully, i dont really want to do an svo conversion if there is a significant risk to the car. I'd LOVE to go to the bio meeting in Waterloo, but I am stuck up here in North Bay for 2 more weeks (school). I made a couple of small biodiesel batches (5L) last year using new Veggie oil. It turned out great and worked fine, but I could never make the large-scale jump. What kind of equipment would it require and where could i find it around Hamilton?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
WVO sounds like an awful lot of trouble to me. You have to collect a lot of it to begin with. You can not start on it, have to have regular Diesel to start it first which means 2 tanks of fuel aboard. When you get started and its running smoothly you switch over to WVO and hope it keeps going? Then when you are using it you have to heat it to make it thin out enough to be able to use it. It also sounds as if it is not suited to the Canadian climate too much, more California or the like. It is also more suited to the older Diesel technology such as 80's Diesels, Mercedes etc. The TDI's are not a good candidate for it from what I read about it.

Then in addition to it I would also suspect your home insurance provider would take a dim view of this type of undertaking unless you live in the middle of nowhere and have a barn to work in?

Here are some links with a bit of info from the OVD club in Ottawa and I hope they do not mind me passing on the info.

http://www.ottawa-vdubbing.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17506

http://www.ottawa-vdubbing.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18405&highlight=wvo

http://www.ottawa-vdubbing.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17887&highlight=wvo

It just sounds like an awful lot of trouble to me. What do you do when you are on a long trip? Can't carry enough with you for a few days of driving anyway.

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Comfortline DSG
Those are my links above, I'll be the first to say that it's not easy, if you are doing it to save money than a tdi is not the right car, having a big pick-up would be more worth it as they use alot more fuel then we do, cost recovery would be quick, I haven't saved a dime yet, getting close but i'm more doing this as an enriromental issue.

the thing about long trips is that once your going it's great.

I did Ottawa to Niagara Falls to Ottawa on about $2 worth of diesel, that was worth the effort. but yes you need to carry your fuel with you.

my system is pretty much all home made. I've got the greascar valves and a vegtherm. the only problem about winter is getting the car up to temp.

onces i flip the switch i have no problem keeping the oil at 160F and above.

sl08tx

TDI
2004 Golf TDI, 5 speed manual
Wasted Vegetable Oil Kits

Hi All,

I seem to be a decade too late to continue along with this thread but does anyone in the Hamilton region run their TDI off of Wasted Vegetable Oil or have a WVO conversion kit currently?

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I don't think there are many on this forum who are running WVO.

I would check with dedicated WVO forums or the IDI forums like vwdiesel.net