Longer 5th Gear...

Gangles

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Hatch
When I had my 46 MPG Honda Civic HX I was aware of a longer 5th gear that could drop highway RPM's. Is there something like this for our TDI's as well? If so, does anyone have a link?

Thanks,

-Rick

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Three taller gears available: .681, .658, and .622 (622 is the tallest). Gearset can be installed with the transmission in the car, but you need a puller which is modified to fit under the gear (grind down the jaws) in order to remove the old gear.

All of them introduce a larger gap between 4th and 5th, larger the taller you go.

link for one seller: http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=320

http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=68

http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=699

Or you can go bonkers and replace 5th with a 5th and 6th combo that has an even taller top gear:

http://www.eurotuning.cz/images/image/en/upravy_prevodovek-en.html

very nice kit - spendy, but perfect as it allows low rpm highway cruising without the 4-5th gap.

Last edited:

Gangles

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Hatch
Thank you VERY much Windex! I'll look into this!!

Regarding speeds, 95% of the time I'm on the highway. I average 65-80 MPH on the highway, depending on speed limits.

Gangles

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Hatch
That what I drive, i'd get the .658 gear.
I don't mind having almost no power in 5th either. I'm just solely going for optimum fuel efficiency. Any idea on the FE difference between the .658 and .622? Also, what does a stock TDI come with, or does this vary as well and I need to VIN check it?

Thanks,

Darkhrse99

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I don't mind having almost no power in 5th either. I'm just solely going for optimum fuel efficiency. Any idea on the FE difference between the .658 and .622? Also, what does a stock TDI come with, or does this vary as well and I need to VIN check it?
Thanks,
I wouldn't mind it as much if I didn't have hills to climb. On flat ground you can use 5th for a lot of your driving, but I dropped 10 mph driving on the highway, so the torque isn't there at 1200 rpm. I would think the .658 wouldn't have those issues.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If I recall correctly, stock transmission that came with ALH, 5th gear was 0.756, with BEW/BRM it was 0.744.

There is certainly a diminishing-returns aspect towards selecting very tall top-gear ratios. The taller you go, the more you'll end up using 4th, which cancels out hoped-for tall-top-gear savings in a hurry. Bear in mind that a few people have smashed up the splines which engage 5th gear to the output shaft. If you smash up the splines inside the gear, you can just replace it, but if it takes out the splines on the output shaft badly enough that a new gear still won't engage them properly, now you are in trouble. Number one reason for smashing up parts like that ... driving around at too low engine revs with too much torque! The lower the revs, the more the power delivery through the transmission no longer resembles a smooth flow but more closely resembles a sequence of hammer-blows from each compression and power stroke. Lugging = BAD.

I had 0.681 in my Mk5 (BRM) Jetta and I towed a trailer with that car. But ... No 5th gear under load below 70-ish km/h on level ground with no trailer, or 90 km/h with trailer, or 100 km/h under load (uphill or accelerating). Coasting-down below that is fine. I also kept the revs above the visible-black-smoke threshold when towing (visible black smoke means gear down).

Personally, I would not want taller than 0.681 due to huge gap between 4 and 5, and certainly not with towing due to not being able to pull the taller gear. With a 6-speed conversion it would be a different matter.

If you spend most of your time above 100 km/h on motorways without major hills, I'd say go ahead and do it (0.681 or perhaps 0.658). No taller than 0.681 if you do any towing. If there are hills involved, 0.681 will keep you happier. If you drive slower than 100 km/h most of the time e.g. on secondary roads then stay with the stock ratio especially if there are hills involved, you will lug too much in 5th so you will have to shift between 4 and 5 a lot more (which wipes out your hoped-for economy advantage and is a nuisance). If you do mostly city and suburban driving, forget it.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Something else to consider - the taller gears work better if you have been chipped or are otherwise making more power than stock... so it has been said on these forums.

Feinstaub_CH

Veteran Member
TDI
Now: Passat AVF 1.9TDI 4Motion, Stand by: Octavia 1.9 AHF
Hi all

I did the converstion, i think its the tallest one.

InCar sound: http://youtu.be/QBa1DiezHx8 - in the last third im in the fifth gear.

as I can see you have a stage 2 tuning, i would consider you to upgrade to 6-gear due to its ability to handle way more torque.

Regads
Feinstaub