trunk switch on door stopped working

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
So my door trunk switch just stopped working on my jetta this past week. The key fob still works fine.

Is there a way I can test something with the VAGCOM? Is there a fuse or relay for this somewhere? I tried reading the Bently and VWs wiring diagrams are not easy to follow.

Could this be related to why my driver side rear window doesn't work with the drivers control panel. Also my driver side rear door lock doesn't actuate up and down with the door control panel or key fob. My dome light doesn't come on when I open the driver door but works with all other doors. Finally, the car will lock even if the key is left inside the car, not sure if this is suppose to happen.

Any help with all these little Electrical gremlins would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! They are starting to get annoying. Mk4 jetta TDI

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Try checking for DTC's in the Convenience Control section if that is what your car is equipped with. I too am having problems with my door ajar light staying on, and VCDS shows a o1358 DTC, the internal lock switch. The lock module is new as of this past July, but I don't know where to go from here. Please keep us updated if you find the answer.
This is strictly a cold temperature problem; once the cabin heats up the light will go out.

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
Heading out to the car right now to scan that module, will update soon.

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
Ok I scanned the Central Convenience module and got two (2) codes

00953 - Interior Light Time limit (I think this is from my dome light being left on, lol)
-----25-10-Unknown switch condition - intermittent
01358 - Internal Central Locking Switch - Driver side (E150)
-----27-10 - Implausible signal - intermittent

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Due to age, I'd first suspect wiring/connects in door. Hard to access. Once you get to it, simple enough to check the main switch and the trunk/fuel door switches.
Sometimes the wire loom passing thru the door jamb can get damaged.
The door lock thing is usually the stupid door switch/sensor.

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
gotcha.

PS - my fuel door switch works perfect.

In regards to the door switch sensor, is that the driver side rear left that is out or driver front left? How do you interpret the results from the VCDS

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The door switch/sensors that sometimes gives trouble is separate (one for each door).
The code 01358 is referring to the thing on the drivers door that locks/unlocks all the doors.

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
uggg.

Can we say its safe to say my driver side front door lock module is faulty?

This would explain why my interior lights don't come on when I open the driver door but work on all other doors.

Also my driver door window switch (controls all windows, locks/unlocks all doors) is faulty - cause for the 01358 code.

Finally - I may have a faulty wiring or trunk switch in the drivers door too.

I'll start by pulling off the outer door panel and see if I can test the truck switch for voltage and visually inspect all the wiring.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My internal door switch on the driver's side that locks and unlocks all doors works just fine despite the 01358 DTC. I have yet to unravel the taped up wires between the door and the left A pillar. The tape is not torn. I did a search on both the 01358 and door ajar light, but could not find a solution. I'm therefore curious how you make out.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
uggg.

Can we say its safe to say my driver side front door lock module is faulty?

This would explain why my interior lights don't come on when I open the driver door but work on all other doors.

Also my driver door window switch (controls all windows, locks/unlocks all doors) is faulty - cause for the 01358 code.

Finally - I may have a faulty wiring or trunk switch in the drivers door too.

I'll start by pulling off the outer door panel and see if I can test the truck switch for voltage and visually inspect all the wiring.
Have you cycled the trunk switch lock yet? That little chrome lock by the switch is to disable the remote opening

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
I have cycled the chrome lock.

the vag com does not recognize any movement when I hit the switch of the trunk lid (Group 10 "Rear Lid/Tailgate Key Switch (E165)")

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
here's the wiring diagram. I'll check to make sure terminal 1 and 2 have continuity when hitting the switch. If they do, then I'll start with testing the ground for continuity, terminal 2 to door panel. If the ground is good, then I'll start making my way to the door panel wiring boot.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Nice use of the Thumbnail!
Looks like you're almost home with this.
Keep in mind the door lock issue may be completely separate, save that for last. I would interweb guess it has a bad right rear door sensor, doesn't know if the thing is open or closed. My old '99 was the same and I never fixed it. It locked the doors with the car running before work one day, workaround was to double click the fob and never leave the key in the car.

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
lol, I've locked the key in the car more than you can imagine.

Now I just leave the rear left door unlocked and always take the key with me when I'm onsite working. Hate to be that guy on the jobsite asking around for a pry bar at 3:30pm on a friday, lol.

Going to start simple and see if I can get my trunk switch working again, then I'll start digging into these door control modules. I'm going to dig into the wiring diagram some more and see if I can test the door switch sensors before I drop some cash on those.

I'm getting wiser in my old age, before I would buy the modules or sensor and spend all the time to install and later find out it was a bad ground or wiring issue. Trying to be proactive with these fixes.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, getting old does have 1 or 2 upsides.
There is a nice thread in here called Stupid Door something or other, it's bulky, but should have the info you need for troubleshooting that sub-system.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
uggg.

[Can we say its safe to say my driver side front door lock module is faulty?]
No, but a cheap replacement is only $10 on ebay. However, without more troubleshooting, installing a new master switch and having it not work won't tell you if you got a bad switch or a good one(from ebay).

You said all the doors and windows can be locked/unlocked from the master switch on the driver's door, except for the left rear lock AND window. (Possible power wire to both is common?)

Does the left rear window go up and down via the switch in that door?
Does the left rear door lock and unlock using switch on that door?
If these are yes, you know your left rear door lock and window switches have power and work properly.
The master door lock is a single switch that locks/unlocks all the doors.
Does that work on all other doors?

There is a window cutoff switch on the driver's door that takes control away from the rear passengers. Does that kill operation of the left rear window via the door switch?
Does this same switch kill passenger control of the right rear window?

If you can isolate the issue to the individual switch in the master controlling the left rear window, that would be helpful.

I like to troubleshoot as much as reasonable before buying parts, but for $10 I would probably start with a new master switch. You might get lucky.

[This would explain why my interior lights don't come on when I open the driver door but work on all other doors.]

Negative. This is the "Stupid $3 Door Switch Fix" topic found here. Or some variety of the same. Blame that one on German Engineering.

[Also my driver door window switch (controls all windows, locks/unlocks all doors) is faulty - cause for the 01358 code.] Maybe.

[Finally - I may have a faulty wiring or trunk switch in the drivers door too.]

If your key fob unlocks the trunk, the switch and actuator that unlocks the trunk has power and works.

It looks to me like you have a wiring issue between the remote trunk switch in the driver's door and the trunk lock actuator.

Often the trunk wont open using the FOB or from the remote switch due to a broken wire in the loom right at the trunk hinge on the driver's side. At least you don't have his issue.

I would have the master switch replacement in hand first. You can only take those door panels of so many times before they start falling apart.

Good Times :)

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Use a paper clip to short the 2 wires on the switch plug, see if it opens...

Did you already put a voltmeter on the hit leg to see if it has power?

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
So I got the door panel off last night. Turned out the switch had some crusted pop residue in it, lol. I cleaned up the switch and popping the trunk from the driver door switch works like a champ now!!!!!

Now it’s on to the door lock issues. Going to start with the driver side front. No dome light when I open the door. Ps all the wiring looks good. I’m thinking it’s a bad module.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
It's probably the switch in the door lock...there's videos on how to change it and I've got a few in a box for the one day I get to replacing them...I'll see if I can dig up a part number for the switch
So I got the door panel off last night. Turned out the switch had some crusted pop residue in it, lol. I cleaned up the switch and popping the trunk from the driver door switch works like a champ now!!!!!

Now it’s on to the door lock issues. Going to start with the driver side front. No dome light when I open the door. Ps all the wiring looks good. I’m thinking it’s a bad module.

Last edited:

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
Can the door switch be changed independently from the module????

The lock actuator works fine

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Can the door switch be changed independently from the module????

The lock actuator works fine
Yes, you just have to find the thread that has the link to the switches

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Both the trunk switch and the fuel door switch are simple copper leaf switches that carry the full current of the actuator (no relay in the middle) and therefore like to arc up a bit over time and become intermittent.

A tiny squirt of Deoxit into each one has brought 'em back from the dead for me, many many times. :)