Balance shaft module with "short" 70mm oil pump drive shaft

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Some questions for those that have had the balance shaft replaced with the balance shaft module with the "short" 70mm oil pump drive shaft:

1) Any failures to report so far? If so how old/miles? Any feedback on the the failed unit(s)?
2) Why is it thought to be prone to failure?
3) Do you agree that it is prone to failure?
4) Has anybody un-installed a working unit and examined it? Any observations/feedback?

Thanks in advance to all respondents.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps no response so far is a good sign and that the Balance shaft module with "short" 70mm oil pump drive shaft is no where close to a "ticking bomb".

Let's stay optimistic ...

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
There are quite a few failures discussed in these threads, from rounded out hex shafts with new balance shaft modules. I am not sure anyone knows if they have a short shaft. Do we all have them? Were they "short" before a certain date?

Do a search on oil pressure stop and most of the threads will come up.

The damage is typically an oil starved turbo.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
There are quite a few failures discussed in these threads, from rounded out hex shafts with new balance shaft modules. I am not sure anyone knows if they have a short shaft. Do we all have them? Were they "short" before a certain date?

Do a search on oil pressure stop and most of the threads will come up.

The damage is typically an oil starved turbo.
Thanks for the response. So I assume all the gurus are doing BSM deletes nowadays?

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I deleted mine. I have a used geared-BSM sitting on the shelf, reasonably sure I will leave it there. While the car vibrates a decent amount when cold, it smoothes out when warm. If I lived as far south as you, I would delete without any hesitation.

This is winter #3 for my delete.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the responses. I wonder if there is any sounds/car behavior indicating the higher likelihood of a geared BSM failure.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Mine was deleted while the chain/gears/tensioner were all in good condition, so no abnormal noises for mine.

Reading through a number of posts, noise on a chained car about to fail is a rattling noise at the front of the oil pan. Noise on a bad set of gears (install error) is more of a whining / grinding.

The hex shaft does not make any noise if it's about to fail. Just oil pressure loss -> oil light on -> turbo bearing failure.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Mine was deleted while the chain/gears/tensioner were all in good condition, so no abnormal noises for mine.

Reading through a number of posts, noise on a chained car about to fail is a rattling noise at the front of the oil pan. Noise on a bad set of gears (install error) is more of a whining / grinding.

The hex shaft does not make any noise if it's about to fail. Just oil pressure loss -> oil light on -> turbo bearing failure.
Ok, thanks Windex. Not the news that I wanted to hear but 'C'est la vie'.