Timing belt questions

john_s

TDI
2002 Jetta
I see lots of messages about timing belts and their rated life.
The FAQ mentions that they had a short life but were upgraded to a longer life belt on newer models.

I have a 2002 Jetta with an automatic transmission.
According to the FAQ, that should have a long life belt.
I took my car to the dealer for some maintenance.
They said that I had 40k miles and needed a timing belt change.
They printed off the recommended 40k mile service list, and it did indeed list replacing the timing belt.
So my questions are:
1. does the timing belt on a 2002 automatic jetta really need to be replaced every 40k miles?
2. apparently the manual transmission models have a longer belt life (1st replacement is 80k miles). When the new, long life belts are listed as lasting 100k miles, does that apply to the automatic transmission models as well?
3. can the faq be updated to separate manual and automatic models?

Thanks

No Exit

Veteran Member
I've got an 2002 auto jetta as well and I think the original belt is 80k and you can replace it with a 100k long life belt.

"The replacement interval varies depending upon model but is generally 96,000 km for manual transmission models for the 2001 and prior model years, and 64,000 km for automatic transmission modeis for the 2001 and prior model years, and 128,000 km for 2002 model year regardless of transmission."

http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#d

128,000 km is roughly 80k miles

Last edited:

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
I think 2002 was a transitional year. It depends on exactly when your car was made. You could do the safe thing, and replace the belt now... but use a 100k mile belt and tensioner. The dealership will NOT do this for you. They will use the same parts your car came with. Go to a TDI guru in your area for the belt change. They will do it better and cheaper.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'm the TDI guru in your area... you could change the '02 automatic belt at 60k. Then, with the newest belt and rollers, you can safely go 80k miles. The manuals, dealers, and FAQ are very cryptic in this area on your car.

If it were my car, I'd visually inspect it, if all looks OK and the tensioner indicator still looks good, I'd go until 80k but not beyond.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Get away from that dealer !!!

UserID "Oilhammer" who posted above is one of the TDI-Club Premier Gurus, and you would be wise to consult with him on any matter concerning your car to which you do not wish to attend yourself !!!

Your 2002 has an 80,000-mile rated timing belt system, although it may be wise to change it a bit early, as he said... but 40,000 miles is much too early!!

All the best,

Yuri.

PS: McBrew: the transitional year was 2001, although it wouldn't hurt to check the engine number on this particular vehicle... it's on the timing belt cover... ALH 500,001 and above have the long-life belt...

Last edited:

No Exit

Veteran Member
well while we're on the subject, what a 99.5 manual with a 100k belt kit good for? The 2002 has a 100k belt and now Im being told to change it at 80k? I wouldnt mind doing it again but just wanna know what its supposed to be.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sometimes they need to be changed early... Not all bearings are made to perfection, and if they're making dangerous-sounding noises, I'd move the scheduled maintenance up...

On my 2003 I've had 2 of the small lower idlers come up with excessive play now... the first one necessitated a timing belt change at 95,537 miles, and I just changed the belt again at 101,184 miles (196,722 total) and didn't like the play in it again... I _will_ be changing it early the next time, even though my car's rated at 100,000 miles TB intervals...

Yuri.

BTW: who's telling you to change it early ?? A dealer ????

Last edited:

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, Tornado Red (faded), 238,000 miles!
YMZ: just reviewing my peterson's, where does it say that a manual transmission can go 100,000 miles? On a 2002 or 03. I've heard that everywhere here but I don't see it in the Bentley?

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, Tornado Red (faded), 238,000 miles!
ymz: That question is not a challenge. The question is (where does it say 80,000 auto, 100,000 standard, timing belt for tdi in the bentley) for my own answer. I can't find it? That is what is true on this website for a 2003 tdi., but I'll be danged if I can find it in the bentley. Auto to manual!

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The owners' manual as well as the maintenance schedule on VW's website indicates that the 2002 models are supposed to change their timing belts at 80,000 miles, and the 2003's at 100,000. (No matter if they have automatic or manual transmissions...)

If you look at ETKA (the official catalog of VW parts), you'll see that the part number for the belt changes for engine number ALH 500,001 and higher (some late 2001's fall into the long-belt category), and for the 2003 model year the only change is the large idler.

Thus, if you use 2003-model-year parts, they should be good for the full 100,000 mile interval... (actually, most manufacturers would have this number set very conservatively, meaning that in principle you should be able to go longer - but... )

Yuri.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
PS: McBrew: the transitional year was 2001, although it would hurt to check the engine number on this particular vehicle... it's on the timing belt cover... ALH 500,001 and above have the long-life belt...
Thanks for the correction, Yuri. I don't do TDI timing belts, myself... too much liability! Matt (Car54) will be doing mine, my brother's, and my mom's in the next few months (all 2003/2004 models with 100k mile belts).

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
McBrew said:
I don't do TDI timing belts, myself... too much liability! Matt (Car54) will be doing mine, my brother's, and my mom's in the next few months (all 2003/2004 models with 100k mile belts).
Understood !!! Hey, if I was living close to a Matt, Herm, Chris, Jason, etc. I'd have them do it also... I live close to generous do-it-yourselfers such as Wingnut and CraigB...

I was just re-reading your original post... and to paraphrase a former President... your statement could be interpreted differently according to what the definition of the word "transitional" is... (is, is ??) yes, it could be read as the transitional (model) year is 2002...

Engine number would be the key, but as we all know, the 2003-model year timing belt parts are backward compatible...

All the best,

Yuri.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Because the large idler is the only difference between the 80k-mile 2002MY timing belt and the 100k-mile 2003MY TB... it is my opinion that, unless there are symptomatic noises coming from the TB area, it should be safe to go to 80k miles or even a little further with a 2002MY TDI.

At any rate, I don't see any reason to change it early.

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wagon, 2004 Passat GLS wagon
Ok, I've read through everything I can find on this issue, and there seem to be conflicting reports in some places, at least for my wife's 2001 Beetle (will be checking the timing belt cover this afternoon to see if it's engine code is ALH 500,001 or higher). In the owner's manual, there is clearly a typo, as under the 40,000 mile service section, it says to change the timing belt for TDIs with an automatic transmission, and under the 60,000 mile service section, it says to change the timing belt for TDIs with an automatic transmission (no, I didn't make a typo there - the manual says automatic transmission at both 40,000 and 60,000 miles). Presumably one of those is supposed to be the manual transmission.

In the TDIFAQ, it says the 40,000 mile one is for automatics , and 60,000 is for manuals (her car is a manual, like mine). Another source I checked (can't remember which one offhand), said the opposite - 40,000 for manuals, and 60k for automatics.

So, so far I have three conflicting statements from three different places. Which is correct? (assuming that hers is an early 2001)

Thanks!

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW owners' manuals have been known to contain errors... (many PD owners' manuals say to use 505.00 oil instead of the correct 505.01)...

It's pretty much agreed-upon that the earlier A4's were rated at 40,000 miles for the automatic, 60,000 miles for the manual transmissions (more stress from having the larger pump on the automatics). From engine # ALH500001 on, the engines had the "long-life" belt rated at 80,000 miles... Some people believe they should change that one early (60,000 miles) for the automatics, although that's really not necessary... Perhaps that's where you read about 60,000-automatic belt changes...

Yuri.

nh mike

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wagon, 2004 Passat GLS wagon
ymz said:
VW owners' manuals have been known to contain errors... (many PD owners' manuals say to use 505.00 oil instead of the correct 505.01)...

It's pretty much agreed-upon that the earlier A4's were rated at 40,000 miles for the automatic, 60,000 miles for the manual transmissions (more stress from having the larger pump on the automatics). From engine # ALH500001 on, the engines had the "long-life" belt rated at 80,000 miles... Some people believe they should change that one early (60,000 miles) for the automatics, although that's really not necessary... Perhaps that's where you read about 60,000-automatic belt changes...

Yuri.
Excellent, thanks Yuri for the clarifications on that.

One other issue - on some vehicle's I've owned with similar timing belt concerns (interference engines), there was also a recommendation as far as changing the timing belt after a certain number of years, if the mileage interval isn't reached before then (presumably due to the rubber drying or something?). Is there any such recommendation on these cars? (since my wife's is a 2001 with only 45,000 miles right now) I'll pull the timing belt cover this weekend to inspect the belt anyway (since I'm going to be changing the brake fluid, fuel filter, oil filter, and both air filters on both our cars this weekend anyway, might as well add some more to my list :) ), but if there's any age related issues (such as drying) that aren't readily apparently from a visual inspection, that would make it prudent to change just due to the time, that would be nice to know.

Thanks again.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Many people believe that the belts have a "shelf" life of 5 years... I used to, but one of the premier "Gurus" here - UserID "Drivbiwire" stated categorically that VW has the modern belts rated at 7 years ("install by") - following which they're good for an additional 100,000 miles... So, not really a concern...

Other components in the timing belt system (water pump, roller bearings) are more likely to wear out before you come to the end of the belt's life...

Yuri.

phxtdi

TDI
2003 golf tdi 1.9 turbo
hello, im new.

First, this is the coolest website i think i have ever been on, it has taught me soo much about my car, all i want to know is if there is a tdi guru some where here in arizona that i could contact and trust. I need my belt changed and the dealers around here want around 1100. Thanks anything would help :]

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I somehow had never heard about the 60k belt for a manual. Do the 02 jettas have the 80k or 60k? I had always thought they had the 80k.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Puter: the 2002's have an 80,000 mile rating for the timing belt system... goes up to a somewhat-optimistic 100,000 miles in the 2003's... the 2001 and older (except for some late 2001's) have a 60,000 mile rating for the manual transmission model A4's and 40,000 miles for the automatic... they can all be fitted with 2003-model-year components...

Phxtdi: we've heard good recommendations in Phoenix for Mike and Derek at Exklusive Motorsports - but I'm not sure if they're all that "cheap"... in any case, this isn't one of those jobs where money or convenience should be the primary criterion... Someone else has recommended Steve at Independent Auto...

(In case you happen to be taking a road trip West, one of the super-Gurus is in Fullerton, CA... not really all that far...)

All the best,

Yuri.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stefon said:
b4 1997 passat tdi new 100k timing belt part#028109119P
It is for sale on ebay. Are they pulling my leg or are they for real?
This is news around here... I suspect they don't really know what they're claiming...

Hey... it _might_ last 100,000 miles, and if it doesn't... chances are you no longer have the receipt, the car, or any way to find them again...

Yuri.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan