New 2016 Touareg Sport TDI wDAP for $40K

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
That's the good. The bad? It only has 70 miles and hasn't had any maintenance performed. It's sounds like the dealer pocketed the maintenance money instead of keeping this Touareg in tip-top shape.

My instinct is to run from a (diesel) vehicle that has been sitting for three whole years. The tires are guaranteed to have flat spots and the fuel will be practically incombustible. And then you have the brake components. And potential fuel pump issues down the road.

It doesn't sound like the dealer wants to put any money in it. I haven't driven the vehicle nor have I personally inspected it.

IMO, at a minimum, the tires will have to be replaced and the fuel will have to be drained. What do you guys think?

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Friend bought a 16 new ~10 months ago. Granted he works for the dealer and had them change the air, cabin, diesel filters, engine oil/filter twice after running it for a couple hundred, new battery and tires. Even with all that I don't think he got that great of a deal on the OTD price.

No way an outsider will get that treatment and that is why when I got mine a couple months ago two local dealers each had a new 2016 on their lot they would not budge under 42 grand let alone do any of what my friend managed to get as far as fluids, battery, tires. FWIW I offered both dealers 36 grand for them and they would not even take that to their manager. All were the sport model you are looking at.

I ended up with a 2013 LUX model with only 19K miles and all service (it's had it's 10-20-30-40-50K services done annually) for 26 grand. Well worth the price of a one way rental and a road trip home. This was out of Chicago.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
These vehicles are capable of five figure repair costs. It's too much of a risk IMO.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
5 figure.....bold statement, but anything is possible. I am crossing my fingers mine lasts me a long time. No timing belt or DSG trans service to worry about so that is a minor weight off my shoulders.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
5 figure.....bold statement, but anything is possible. I am crossing my fingers mine lasts me a long time. No timing belt or DSG trans service to worry about so that is a minor weight off my shoulders.

I'm more or less referring to the HPFP. Beyond that, it's possible to drop five figures over the course of a year or two, that's for sure.

Dealers suck.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
I'm more or less referring to the HPFP. Beyond that, it's possible to drop five figures over the course of a year or two, that's for sure.
The HPFP, along with all other fuel related components, (and a bunch of other components) is covered 100% by VW's extended warranty for 10 years or 120,000 miles.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
The HPFP, along with all other fuel related components, (and a bunch of other components) is covered 100% by VW's extended warranty for 10 years or 120,000 miles.

I'm aware of that. I have a 2015 Golf TDI that I bought after the stop-sale was lifted.

My concern would be after 120K if the fuel pump experienced lousy diesel fuel early in its life.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
How does that equate to 6 figure repair bills over the course of a year or two? What else are you so worried about failing? For 2 grand you can tune and delete all those future issues if you don't live in a state that won't allow it.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
How does that equate to 6 figure repair bills over the course of a year or two? What else are you so worried about failing? For 2 grand you can tune and delete all those future issues if you don't live in a state that won't allow it.

I was being dramatic lol.

For a few days it looked like my 16 VR6 had a rear main seal leak. I took it to the dealer and they said that it's coming from a loose oil filter that THEY installed. Of course they blamed the independent shop that did other work. I have to get it back on the lift in a few weeks to make sure it's still dry.

I generally let the dealer do oil changes if I have other warranty work.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounded awfully dramatic.

If the fuel pump implodes after 120K, there's 5 figures. Real main seal leak...$5K? I don't know exactly for that job.

Turbo after 120K miles....$2,500.

Center support bearing...

My point, drama notwithstanding, is that these things can bite you once the miles add up. And in this case, the vehicle has been sitting for three years. It's really unknown how lot rot will affect a diesel vehicle's long term prospects. Had it been maintained per VW's mandate, the odds would have been better, that's for sure.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
You are making up scenarios that may never be an issue. Fuel pump imploding? FIVE figures to get that repaired? Come awn man!

Sounds like you need to look into a different vehicle, the Touareg seems to be voodoo to you.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
You are making up scenarios that may never be an issue. Fuel pump imploding? FIVE figures to get that repaired? Come awn man!

Sounds like you need to look into a different vehicle, the Touareg seems to be voodoo to you.

I have a '16 Sport VR6. We bought it with 13K miles and it currently has 45K on it. I wouldn't call it unreliable but it's been the quirkiest among all of the VW's I've owned (four CR diesels).

Would you start up a Treg TDI with three year old diesel in the tank? On that note, how many common rail TDI Tregs have gone three years with the same tank of fuel? Some aspects of this car are unprecedented.

Three year old diesel + the possibility (remote, albeit) of HPFP issues = cause for concern in my book. HPFP issues on a Treg can cost well into five figures outside of warranty.

My point is that this specific Treg is off to a bad start. And that's not what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
So you bought it and it's scaring you or you found a deal on one but are scared because of issues you are making up in your head? These 5 figure repair bills are also in your head. This 2016 will have a helluva lot of warranty left on it. I would argue to get the standard full bumper to bumper warranty as well if that's expired due to age

I'd take 3 year old diesel over 3 year old gas any day of the week. For you to be comfortable buying it, a lot of expense would have to be eaten by the dealer to clean the fuel system, new tires, fluids, filters, etc like I have already mentioned. All things I think need to be done, it's a matter of will the dealer do this.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
So you bought it and it's scaring you or you found a deal on one but are scared because of issues you are making up in your head? These 5 figure repair bills are also in your head. This 2016 will have a helluva lot of warranty left on it. I would argue to get the standard full bumper to bumper warranty as well if that's expired due to age

I'd take 3 year old diesel over 3 year old gas any day of the week. For you to be comfortable buying it, a lot of expense would have to be eaten by the dealer to clean the fuel system, new tires, fluids, filters, etc like I have already mentioned. All things I think need to be done, it's a matter of will the dealer do this.

Dude, an HPFP implosion is $16K to fix. It’s well documented. Yes, I know, the dieselgate warranty will cover it. I still don’t want half my car ripped apart for this kind of repair if it were to happen. And for it to happen it would require extraordinary circumstances. Running a CR TDI with three year old diesel in the tank may very well be such a circumstance.

Here’s my experience with the ‘16 VR6 Sport we purchased fifteen months ago (13K miles):
- Thermostat replaced
- Misfires (due to poor fuel - hasn’t returned)
- Transmission error (occurred once - dealer found no issues)
- Noise in rear, sway bar end links replaced
- 2nd thermostat replaced along with water pump
- Rear main seal leak suspected via independent shop. Dealer disagreed and blamed loose oil filter. Issue still TBD

The vehicle currently has 42,500. Its under CPO until 60K.

I’m not sure how this thread got derailed. It’s a very expensive vehicle to own. Are you in denial about that?!? I admitted that a five figure repair was dramatic. How many times would you like to address this comment? A third or fourth time, perhaps?

I’m 6’3” with a long torso and no SUV fits me better than a Touareg. As a diesel guy I always wanted a TDI.

Regarding the white one mentioned in the original post. The dealer’s response was essentially “take it or leave it”. They don’t feel that it needs maintenance performed. Yep, a real lousy place to do business with. Next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Dude, an HPFP implosion is $16K to fix. It’s well documented. Yes, I know, the dieselgate warranty will cover it. I still don’t want half my car ripped apart for this kind of repair if it were to happen. And for it to happen it would require extraordinary circumstances. Running a CR TDI with three year old diesel in the tank may very well be such a circumstance. That would be on you for buying a vehicle with 3 year old diesel in the tank. You seem smart enough to at lest request to have the old diesel removed and filled with fresh. You use the word implosion for something you may never have a single issue with. For this 5 figure repair bill you could eliminate ALL potential future failures for $2200 for a tune and delete.
I don’t know which Treg you own but here’s my experience with the ‘16 VR6 Sport we purchased fifteen months ago (13K miles): Reading comprehesion owns you. In my first post it clearly says I own a 2013 ;).
- Thermostat replaced
- Misfires (due to poor fuel - hasn’t returned)
- Transmission error (occurred once - dealer found no issues)
- Noise in rear, sway bar end links replaced
- 2nd thermostat replaced along with water pump
- Rear main seal leak suspected via independent shop. Dealer disagreed and blamed loose oil filter. Issue still TBD
The vehicle currently has 42,500. Its under CPO until 60K.
I’m not sure how this thread got derailed. It’s a very expensive vehicle to own. Are you in denial about that?!? I admitted that a five figure repair was dramatic. How many times would you like to address this comment? A third or fourth time, perhaps?
I’m 6’3” with a long torso and no SUV fits me better than a Touareg. As a diesel guy I always wanted a TDI.
Regarding the white one mentioned in the original post. The dealer’s response was essentially “take it or leave it”. They don’t feel that it needs maintenance performed. Yep, a real lousy place to do business with. Next!
My Sportwagen TDI was far more maintenance hungry than my current Touareg TDI for the fact it is a timing chain over a timing belt and isn't a DSG trans.

You keep ragging on the repair bills. Sorry your garbage V6 gas model is just that...garbage. If the dealer will not budge in any way on a leftover 16 TDI, I guess this whole thread is pointless since you don't even own it, just speculate how spendy a fix MIGHT be someday. All vehicles today are spendy to fix.

There are two to my knowledge 16 leftovers in Iowa that I know of and the prices are in the 40 ballpark also. I would never touch one of them and am happy they declined my 35K offer to buy one. I saved a lot more $$ and got a step up in the model line up with my LUX. Plenty to cover 5 figure repair bills. ;)

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
My Sportwagen TDI was far more maintenance hungry than my current Touareg TDI for the fact it is a timing chain over a timing belt and isn't a DSG trans.

You keep ragging on the repair bills. Sorry your garbage V6 gas model is just that...garbage. If the dealer will not budge in any way on a leftover 16 TDI, I guess this whole thread is pointless since you don't even own it, just speculate how spendy a fix MIGHT be someday. All vehicles today are spendy to fix.

There are two to my knowledge 16 leftovers in Iowa that I know of and the prices are in the 40 ballpark also. I would never touch one of them and am happy they declined my 35K offer to buy one. I saved a lot more $$ and got a step up in the model line up with my LUX. Plenty to cover 5 figure repair bills. ;)

That's the first time I've heard the VR6 called garbage. Thirsty? Yes. Perhaps you are being a little dramatic here. ;)

If anyone is still following along :D the moral of the story is: some of the leftover TDIs aren't quite the deal they seem to be. Plan to dump a few grand into one if it's been sitting - and the dealer hasn't done squat. Better yet, find one pre-owned that has been driven as opposed to rotting away on a lot somewhere.

Happy driving!

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
That's the first time I've heard the VR6 called garbage. Thirsty? Yes. Perhaps you are being a little dramatic here. ;)

If anyone is still following along :D the moral of the story is: some of the leftover TDIs aren't quite the deal they seem to be. Plan to dump a few grand into one if it's been sitting - and the dealer hasn't done squat. Better yet, find one pre-owned that has been driven as opposed to rotting away on a lot somewhere.

Happy driving!
Having two friends that are VW master techs I know what ones to avoid. Mainly any TSI or V6 gasser post B5 platform.

Unsure why I am still following along since you never even bought the car, just predetermined all it's repair bills based on 3 year old diesel in the tank.

Happy trails :rolleyes:

buguyed

TDI
2016 Touareg
Diesel is not like gas FYI and isn’t that big of a deal if it sits around. Diesel is lubricating by nature and will not break down in that time frame. Even if it does, the warranty is there. All these 5 and 6 figure repairs gonna cost you $50. The V6 TDI has had a pretty bulletproof history of reliability thus far. Jump in man, the water is warm!

I just picked up a 16’ and am carefree with the TDI CPO and drivetrain warranties. I literally love this car and am going to enjoy it while diesels still get to live.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Traded my 2012 TDI for a: New" 2016 with 1500 mile ,never registered,but maintained by the dealer. New car warranty out the door with my 2012 traded $ 1500 bucks. Car now has 8000 miles and is perfect. Obviously it also has the emissions stuff warranty for 10yrs and 120k miles. Whats not to love. BTW my 2012 was almost perfect for 6yrs.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg- R Line
I picked up a 2014 TDI R Line, this year, and had 12k miles on it. It was driven by someone @ VW, as the ownership showed VW Canada as being the only owner of the car. It definitely, sat for quite some time, but I still ended up jumping on it, as it was absolutely mint!

Long story short, the car was an out of province purchase, and from a private dealer. I didn’t get a chance to test drive it long enough, but the turbo was seized shortly after getting the vehicle. VW replaced the turbo, and car has been been solid for the past 8k miles. I know the mechanic, who worked on the car, and both him and service advisor mentioned they don’t usually have much issues with the Touareg, other than routine maintenance. This is also a Pfaff vw, and they are always busy.

If there’s one thing I learned, the more you read and search on “what could go wrong” the less you’ll get to enjoy the car. That, and you’ll always find an answer you’re looking for on the internet..you can discard the ones you don’t like =P

And, what the previous poster mentioned on the extended emission warranty, which is pretty comprehensive, keeps me smiling and enjoying the car. I don’t think I could have gotten the gas version, for the amount of driving we do as a family, and gas is not so cheap in Canada vs the US. I’d curse each time i have to fill up at the gas station, especially if I had to use high octane :S

Cheers,

Ron