Show what you tow!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH

Not towing, but still 800lbs of welder in the back.
Guy laughed like mad when we were able to get it in there. That was pulled halfway out, I had enough room to move it forward enough to barely close the hatch, but didn't want to as it would have made unloading a pain.

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
Saturday morning I made two trips to the scrap yard with some steel, first was 1,060 lbs and the second was 900 lbs. Then, I drove about 2 hours to pick up about 1,350 lbs of coal, distributed amongst the five blue barrels.

The Golf did well, acceleration with the coal on board was... leisurely, but adequate. I had no problem running just over 70 on the interstate and the hills never made the speed drop. On flat ground it was running about 5 lbs of boost but the steeper hills would bump it up to 10 or 12.

Curious to see how much of a hit the mpg will take when pulling the trailer.

I think 1,500 lbs of payload is about all I'd consider to be prudent with this combination. Still, you can do quite a lot with 3/4 of a ton.

CarlosF

TDI
2010 GSW TDI DSG Blue Graphite
Exploring the SW US this winter in our teardrop. Ecohitch and a 6" rise. The wagon has been great towing the 800lbs. I hit a deer and lost the front wind deflector and part of the grill (including the VW emblem):

Currently at The Auto Clinic in Irvine, CA getting the AC recharged, DSG service, and oil change.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Nice pictures. Sorry to hear about the dear accident.

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
Scored another 1,600 lbs of Kimmel's Pea and Nut coal on Sunday. Bagged, but in totes because the bags are very fragile.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
I ordered a Thule Euorride 940 tow ball mount bike carrier from here
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...2-bikes-328231
It cost $230 and took about two weeks to arrive.
[/IMG]
It had Euro lights like in the above picture, so I rewired them for a US 7way. The outside position on each light is the running/brake(turn) lamps. I changed the amber turn signal bulbs out and rewired them as white reverse lights. The inside positions were originally reverse lights on the right and rear fog on the right. I decided to make them both also light up with my brake lights/turn signals. I ordered a left lens from here,
and put it on the right https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicycle-carriers/thule-bicycle-carrier/thule-parts/thule-parts-euroclassic/thule-rear-light-lens-left-50716-for-euroclassic-g6-929/
Here's the finished product. I couldn't resist getting a Euro plate to match the one on the front of my car since there was a spot for it.
[/IMG]
It mounts really solidly on the ball, and folds down well. The total (minus the plate) was around $260.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I ordered a Thule Euorride 940 tow ball mount bike carrier from here
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...2-bikes-328231
It cost $230 and took about two weeks to arrive.
It had Euro lights like in the above picture, so I rewired them for a US 7way. The outside position on each light is the running/brake(turn) lamps. I changed the amber turn signal bulbs out and rewired them as white reverse lights. The inside positions were originally reverse lights on the right and rear fog on the right. I decided to make them both also light up with my brake lights/turn signals. I ordered a left lens from here,
and put it on the right https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicy...light-lens-left-50716-for-euroclassic-g6-929/
Here's the finished product. I couldn't resist getting a Euro plate to match the one on the front of my car since there was a spot for it.
[/IMG]
It mounts really solidly on the ball, and folds down well. The total (minus the plate) was around $260.
Looks good! You need to post a nighttime photo of the lights.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How about resizing that picture? It is only viewable on my 75" TV!

BTW, I just checked the picture size and supposedly at 100% it is 57" x 43".

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Holy cow! That huge image jacks up all of the dialog boxes. If you cannot resize, adding "?w=800" after ".jpg" in your post will display the image at 800 pixels wide.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Since the forum software can't automatically resize/block such images, I right-clicked on the image and checked the box to block that image. Unfortunately though, that blocks the top domain of the image source.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!

Performance so far has been fairly impressive, at 70 mph I am averaging about 25 miles per gallon, and I can push that up to close to 30 following behind trucks.
Boost is barely above non-towing at about 5 psi, and EGT is running at about 550 pre-turbo. Transmission is nice and happy at 185 while the engine is at 212-215.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
I was watching the temps (and everything else) and if I had the AC compressor on the engine would actually pick up 2-3 degrees. Dunno if the fans were on high, but at 70mph I can't believe they would be drawing more air than I was stuffing through the front.

That was the warmest it got though, came down a touch to 208 as the outside cooled off and I got further north in Florida. Should be much better tomorrow, I doubt it will be much above freezing all day as I'm traveling! I'd be more concerned if it had kept going up.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Nice, 550f is a good low EGT
mine seemed to cruise around 500 towing nothing, but I'm also using a water heater thermocouple so it might be a little inaccurate, also running really retarded timing maps, so that factors into it as well.

ThatGTI

TDI
MK6 GTI
Not a TDI, but I've got a lot of inspiration from this thread and figured I'd try and contribute. This is my MK6 GTI, Westfalia tow bar, Westfalia wiring harness, OEM GTI tow bar diffuser. This picture is taken on Eibach Sportline lowering springs and the stock Detroits with wheel spacers. It worked for towing, but definitely too low for any long distance towing. The pop-up is a 2017 Jayco 12UD that's 1,940lbs unloaded, includes battery but not propane.

I have the Euro 13 pin connector that runs to the hitch and then a converter to a US 7 blade connector. I have full lights, ground, and 12V power but no brakes. I bought a Prodigy RF Wireless brake controller and hooked it up today. It made it really nice not to have to do any additional wiring or work to get a brake controller hooked up. It works pretty well, and definitely makes me feel a lot better about towing this weight. I'm taking a trip from Ohio to South Carolina in a week. I plan to put the stock springs on in the rear to try and make the car sit more level and ride better. Then I'll also keep the wheel spacers off to give a little more clearance in the fender wells.

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Detroit or Huffisein(sp)? The cut off between the faces and the painted recesses are dulled and blend together on Detroits, much sharper and distinct on Huffs. Also, didn't Detroit come in 17" while Huffs are 18"?

Jason

ThatGTI

TDI
MK6 GTI
Detroit or Huffisein(sp)? The cut off between the faces and the painted recesses are dulled and blend together on Detroits, much sharper and distinct on Huffs. Also, didn't Detroit come in 17" while Huffs are 18"?

Jason
I think you got that flipped around. Detroits are the 18" ones that have the machined front and the black painted inserts. Huff's are the 17"s that are all gray. Aside from the difference in color the wheels are visually really similar, if not the same except for the size difference.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
ThatGTI, how does the GTI handle the towing? Do you have a DSG? Power? Braking?

You are a lot more aerodynamic than I am with that low profile trailer.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I think you got that flipped around. Detroits are the 18" ones that have the machined front and the black painted inserts. Huff's are the 17"s that are all gray. Aside from the difference in color the wheels are visually really similar, if not the same except for the size difference.
Did a little more research in ETKA - Denvers are the 17" with the softer edges, Detroits replaced the Huffs in later model years. Maybe as an easier to pronounce name?

Huffs that I remember were the summer tire/wheel option. I guess only on the early MkV?

Jason

ThatGTI

TDI
MK6 GTI
ThatGTI, how does the GTI handle the towing? Do you have a DSG? Power? Braking?

You are a lot more aerodynamic than I am with that low profile trailer.

It handles it really well. It's a manual with an upgraded clutch. The car is Stage 2. The last time I had it dyno'd it made 250WHP and 265WTQ. So it's got plenty of power to tow it. Granted I don't have that nice low end torque that you TDI guys have, but it still is plenty capable. I've got upgraded brake pads, brake fluid, and stainless steel lines on the car. Having trailer brakes takes care of any worries about braking I have. I'm going to go in a parking lot before I leave and do some evasive maneuvers and hard braking to get a feel of what it's like under those scenarios.

True. Haha. Nice looking setup! That's one of the CampLite trailers right? Those are really nice. The pop-up is pretty close to the height of the car which helps with aerodynamics a bit. It is 85" wide though. I've got a set of attachable tow mirrors, but haven't got to put them on yet.

ThatGTI

TDI
MK6 GTI
Did a little more research in ETKA - Denvers are the 17" with the softer edges, Detroits replaced the Huffs in later model years. Maybe as an easier to pronounce name?

Huffs that I remember were the summer tire/wheel option. I guess only on the early MkV?

Jason
Gotcha. I completely forgot about Denvers. I get those confused with Huffs. I'm not sure when they came on MK5.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
No longer towing with a TDI, but still gotta have love for those who tow with their small cars. I just picked up a yard-pal for my utility trailer:

It's a 4x6 (75" floor length) and weighs around 600-lbs empty. :)

Scott

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
It handles it really well. It's a manual with an upgraded clutch. The car is Stage 2. The last time I had it dyno'd it made 250WHP and 265WTQ. So it's got plenty of power to tow it. Granted I don't have that nice low end torque that you TDI guys have, but it still is plenty capable. I've got upgraded brake pads, brake fluid, and stainless steel lines on the car. Having trailer brakes takes care of any worries about braking I have. I'm going to go in a parking lot before I leave and do some evasive maneuvers and hard braking to get a feel of what it's like under those scenarios.
True. Haha. Nice looking setup! That's one of the CampLite trailers right? Those are really nice. The pop-up is pretty close to the height of the car which helps with aerodynamics a bit. It is 85" wide though. I've got a set of attachable tow mirrors, but haven't got to put them on yet.
It is a 13 foot Camplite We had to search for it and drove 300 miles to get it. All aluminum/composite unit. The Beetle is generating ~315 TQ/160 HP. So it pulls no problem. When we are cruising, there is a lot of wind drag because of the shape and so much of the trailer face is not protected by the Beetle so we feel that. Don't really need brakes with this parachute behind us :). So much drag that the turbo is always boosting at about 5 psi. It doesn't generate boost when cruising when the trailer is off.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
I plan to put the stock springs on in the rear to try and make the car sit more level and ride better. Then I'll also keep the wheel spacers off to give a little more clearance in the fender wells.
Put an AirLift setup in the factory springs. I love that setup on my wife's MkV. I've put the AirLift setup in my MkIV Wagon as well, but I didn't take the Wagon on a 4500 mile test drive with the trailer...

Here's the link to the photos before the AirLift setup went on the cars...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4966499&postcount=2470
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4968277&postcount=2477

Last edited: