5 speed conversion Engine code

cmgaviao

TDI
2005 Passat
So, mechanic is wrapping up my 5 speed conversion and asking about the code needed to tell the computer that its no longer an automatic. he says 5 - 7 digit code. But... from reading here, its not possible to program?

Either way, those that have done, can you help me with the best way past this speed bump?

Thanks

CM

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
You'll need to have the ECU reflashed. Can't recode it. Tell you mechanic to read the threads here about this. It will cost around $350 to get it reflashed and unless he has the hardware, it will have to be done by someone else.

cmgaviao

TDI
2005 Passat
Thanks Imo,

Its driveable without the flash but with have the CEL on all the time is this correct?

Jerz

TDI
05 Passat Wagon GLS TDi 180hp, 5 speed swap; 05 Passat Wagon BEW swap (wife's, traded for OM606 Merc soon to be STD); 05 Mazda B3000 2.0mTDi swap (sold); Boxster S TDi swap (under construction)
Correct. It is perfectly drivable, but you won't have ABS, Traction Control, and possibly Cruise Control (depends on your tranny ratios). The RPM will also hang during shifts, but no biggy, just don't rush your shifts.
I have done mine not too long ago and drove it for probably 1000km before I got ECM re-flashed by Mike from TD Tuning (highly recommended). Very happy with the result.
You will also have to do some recoding as described in several treads here.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Yes you can drive it. Just will have the Christmas tree dash until it is reflashed. So evidently this was his first conversion?

cmgaviao

TDI
2005 Passat
Hey VWz, you are correct. Lewis Autowerks in my neck of the woods did the work. VW only but haven't done one of these before. Thanks everyone for the assistance... looks like I'm just missing the tune now.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Your reverse light and clutch interruper switch is hooled up too?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
and cruise switch?