low boost

olcarnut

TDI
2005 passat tdi wagon
Hi ya'll Recently my 05 passat tdi has acquired a code for low boost and definitely lack of power.
Does this mean turbo problems or could it be a waste gate problem?
I got the code p0299??

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Check all of the hoses in the charge air path. There's one that goes from the turbo to the crossover pipe that is notorious for rubbing on a wiring harness and wearing a hole in the hose. The others are as follows: from the crossover pipe on the drivers side to the intercooler, from the intercooler to the "L" shaped plastic pipe that runs across the back of the engine and, finally, a short 90 degree hose that goes from the plastic pipe to the intake.

Last edited:

olcarnut

TDI
2005 passat tdi wagon
Think I fixed the problem.........Found the tubing from boost solenoid to actuator on the turbo gnawed away by a rodent. Replaced tubing and bingo seems to run ok again.
Yahoo.....
Thanks sailor............I'm a retired merchant marine..........Did you sail??

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Not Merchant Marine, but I have done a lot of sailing. My most memorable experience was helping to build this and sail in her for 6 months on the maiden voyage back in the 80s:

The 1854 in my screen name comes from this ship, on which I worked for nearly 20 years:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Gaff rigged topsail schooner. Pride of Baltimore II. She's a replica of an 18th century Baltimore Clipper. Because of their speed they were very successful as privateers during the Revolutionary War, wreaking havoc on the British Navy.