Priming a New Turbo

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Okay, about ready to give it a whirl, but I would like to make sure that there is adequate lubrication in the new torbo before I fire it up. I filled the pipe and housing with oil, but gravity, in this case, is not my friend. I want to spin the starter for a few seconds without starting the car. I know that on my ALH, I can just pop out relay 109, but how does one do this on the BHW? I assume that it is the same procedure for doing a compression check.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The main relay is next to the ECU, under the cover under the driver's side of the windshield lower trim. It would be easier to pull a fuse, though.

I never mess with this, though. Just make sure the engine is full of oil and start it up. It'll push so much oil so fast through that pipe it won't make any difference.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Make sure you change oil/filter before starting it and you should be fine without priming. Let it idle for 10 minutes to full warmup before calling on any boost. Do that the first 3-4 times you start it and don't boost it much until you do that. Frans was very particular when instructing me on break-in. I assume it's a good practice on new turbos too. Mine's still working nicely.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I have unplugged the injectors at the back of the head for this and when checking compression

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Frans told me to do that too if it would make me feel good. Sure won't hurt, 1854sailor, especially since you replaced the supply line.