Heater Core Plugged 2005 Passat TDI

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
A few months ago I had my heater core back-flushed to again have it let hot water pass through it so that my A/C was not forever freezing me out here in Houston. I suspect I regained about 30% functionality and that was fine. The heater core is now plugged again - no heat. This is an expensive repair for what is an inexpensive heater core, because the entire dash has to come apart.

My question is, how many of you have had the same problem and what are your fixes. Did you attempt the job yourself or free up your wallet for the labor of someone else who would take on the job? Thanks again.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I know that some have cycled CLR through the heater core to clean it out. All you need is two hoses a bucket and a small pump. Place the pump in the bucket with a solution of CLR and water (presumably hot). Pump the water into one end of the heater core while returning the other end to the bucket. Let it run. Change water/CLR as needed.

Since you only got 30% throughput after the last flush, is it possible the system was not completely bled of air? Do you hear any gurguling? You may want to check if there is any air in system. The layout of these systems seems to cause the heater cores to not flow, if residual air is in the system.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
fastcar4re,

I replaced the heater core in my 2004 Jetta sedan. What a chore! It's not hard but as you've said, you have to take the whole dash out. The hardest part was pulling the heater back from the firewall to slide the heater core out the top. I thought for sure something was going to break.

In looking at all the work and what has to come out, I can understand the price.

Eric

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
First check to make sure that your engine is truly getting to 90C via Vagcom. I have seen plenty that showed 90C on the dash but were only getting to 70C-80C due to a weak thermostat, opening prematurely. Much cheaper and easier to experiment with.

gregc

TDI
2005 Passat
I'm going to flush my core as johnyboy stated. I got a small pond pump from harbor freight for ~$10. I already flushed it once with regular flush and a hose. It was nearly completely plugged. This time I'll use clr and let it circulate for a while. Plan to put a cloth/sock over the end of the hose to catch any gunk.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
It would be interesting to see if there's a correlation between heater core plugging and improper (non G12or G13) coolant usage.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
It would be interesting to see if there's a correlation between heater core plugging and improper (non G12or G13) coolant usage.
Absolutely. Wrong coolant muds the tdi's and gassers up in no time. Also deionized or distilled water for the 50% dilution is necessary for long term health too.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, that's why it happens. The B5's heater core seems to have little tolerance for foreign coolants contaminating and mudding up the system.

I've had pretty good success flushing them out, though. It may take a few times, and a garden hose, but I've never had to replace one because of this.

toastystew

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I have had the same problem, and have tried the flush. The air got hotter, but not as hot as i was expecting. I also replaced the thermostat, and flushed and repaced the coolant, which seems to have helped more than the flush. I think i read on a thread whilst i was reading to learn how to do the aforementioned jobs that some folks were somehow capping the CLR in the core for a little while like a day or two then using a garden hose to flush the core out. I didnt try that because i didnt have time.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
If a previous owner had used tap water in the system even with G-12, the salts in the tap water have probably fouled the core and a simple water flush won't dissolve them and heat transfer won't be very good. Can't recommend a more aggresive chemical flush due to the sensitivity of VW components. If you're sure your thermostat is functioning properly, you may have to replace.

gootie

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,05,white TIP
Why do these cores plug even with strict adherence to coolant/distilled water specs. This does not seem to be a problem with other VWs.
Maybe the picture here explaies : http://www.passatworld.com/forums/68-b5-garage/338139-heater-core-teardown-pix.html#post2810016
Those flow diverter rods must reduce flow thereby increasing tendancy for coolant to eventually sludge. Then there is the issue of core placement above engine and the reservoir. There likely should have been a flow boosting pump in this system . Local dealer is not using the actual VW core probably for customer cost complaint reasons but I thinking the lower resistance unit will be less likely to sludge up if coolant integrity is maintained.
It has been reported that there is a small bypass channel high in the original cores that will allow for both inlet and output connections to be hot even if the lower core area is plugged.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Neither of mine have ever had this issue, nor have any of my regular customers. Every time I see it, there is clearly (no pun untended) sign of contaminated coolant. All cloudy and grainy looking.

gootie

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,05,white TIP
Neither of mine have ever had this issue, nor have any of my regular customers. Every time I see it, there is clearly (no pun untended) sign of contaminated coolant. All cloudy and grainy looking.
I am writing on this topic as I purchased a vehicle that had strict dealer service including coolant flushes as early as 40K for heater core problem.
I agree that there must/might have been some contamination issue. Oil cooler perhaps?

oilhammer

TDI
Correct, you purchased it [well] used. Don't assume "dealer serviced" automatically means "correctly serviced". Because I can assure you, that is not necessarily the case.

fenne

TDI
02 Jetta GLS 5 speed
I flushed the heater core several times on my wife's car. Last time I did I used CLR. Then I noticed the temp gauge wasn't showing operating temp....over 100*F outside with the AC on and temp gauge was below 190*F. Put a new thermostat in when doing the timing belt....heater works great!

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
Yep, that's why it happens. The B5's heater core seems to have little tolerance for foreign coolants contaminating and mudding up the system.

I've had pretty good success flushing them out, though. It may take a few times, and a garden hose, but I've never had to replace one because of this.
Do you flush them in both directions or just back flush?

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
Back flush first most important!
Use a pail, pump and clr and put a screen under the return hose to the pail.
When your done that you can flush both ways with just water.
Also have to stress how important it is to use distilled water in your new coolant mix.
River water would be better than tap water in a pinch!

Last edited:

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
Unfortunatly, I have a very faint coolant smell in cabin. If I flush it, especially if I use a cleaner or CLR, I expect I'll get a big leak.

I should probably change it.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d