AWIC located on BHW

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Application is BHW in Audi A4. I would like some opinions on the the location of my AWIC. I am considering the location shown in the pics below. It makes for nice simple intercooler piping (and ultra low volume). Turbo would need header wrap to reduce heat transfer. Just not sure if I will be picking up too much heat here. comments please. :)

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I think the heat isolation really is your biggest concern but it otherwise keeps all of your routing short. Would there be room to move it up toward the hood a little more? That would help to keep it a little cooler.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I am not sure if it can be moved up higher at this point. I have just been doing hood clearance estimates based on photos. I should be pulling the motor soon though.

D_Bat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
that's gunna get crazy amounts of heat soak from the turbo/downpipe. Holy moly. On my vrt I had a boost pipe that went about 4 inches above my turbo and my turbo had a turbo blanket, DP wrapped, and two heatshields, and that thing still got to hot to touch with my hand. :(

Next thing you could try is ceramic coat+turbo blanket, DP wrap, and a heat shield if you can fit all of that there.

I am putting a a/w into my MK3 Jetta TDI. Easiest way to put any kind of a/w in is to relocate the battery to the rear of the car and put the core there.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Will the standard engine cooling system be able to handle the extra heat? I assume you might be able to up the cooling system performance, as VAG did cram a V8 and biturbo V6s under the hood of the B5 platform.

Perhaps the standard 4 cyl cooling system can handle the extra heat anyways?

What about an electric coolant pump (as used on many VAG products) to assist in the flow through the intercooler?

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
oilhammer said:
Will the standard engine cooling system be able to handle the extra heat? I assume you might be able to up the cooling system performance, as VAG did cram a V8 and biturbo V6s under the hood of the B5 platform.

Perhaps the standard 4 cyl cooling system can handle the extra heat anyways?

What about an electric coolant pump (as used on many VAG products) to assist in the flow through the intercooler?
yeah, I am not too sure about the extra heat load on the existing coolant system. It would probably be ok most days in our area (due to low ambient temps). If you click on my build thread you can see the intercooler kit that I am installing. It has a seperate radiator/fan and a coolant pump. There is also a custom coolant resevoir to be located somewhere. There is the option of tieing into the engine coolant system. The advantage to that is a cleaner system install. The disadvantage of this is not being able to pull your intercooler loop down below the engine thermostat temp.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
D_Bat said:
that's gunna get crazy amounts of heat soak from the turbo/downpipe. Holy moly. On my vrt I had a boost pipe that went about 4 inches above my turbo and my turbo had a turbo blanket, DP wrapped, and two heatshields, and that thing still got to hot to touch with my hand. :(

Next thing you could try is ceramic coat+turbo blanket, DP wrap, and a heat shield if you can fit all of that there.

I am putting a a/w into my MK3 Jetta TDI. Easiest way to put any kind of a/w in is to relocate the battery to the rear of the car and put the core there.
ouch! that bad with wraps and shields, ey. Perhaps I will rotate it 90deg and mount over turbo..if the hood clearance will permit.

The Chris

TDI
2008 R320 (if CDI's count)
Get a turbo diaper and you can even do some thermal coating on the IC.

Oh, and I would recommend some hose clamps ;)

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
The Chris said:
Get a turbo diaper and you can even do some thermal coating on the IC.

Oh, and I would recommend some hose clamps ;)
LOL. Do you you think those cardboard mounting brackets will last? :D

do you have a source on turbo diapers?

Last edited:

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Ceramic coatings on turbo and IC would help alot. And so would thermal wraping and some heat shealds. The plumbing looks just so simple that I would give it a try.

cheeba

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Audi TT 225
Obviously you're cutting corners if you put it there - the real question is are you looking to save a bit or time/money, or are you looking for the best performance? I know I wouldn't be happy with my IC wedged between the turbo and the exhaust manifold. You definitely need more cardboard if you want to mount it there :D

That said, if you do put it there I reaffirm the need to coat and wrap everything. If you want to try somewhere else and need room on the other side of the engine you could always relocate the battery to the trunk.

Beautiful conversion on the A4 by the way - I dream of a Quattro TDI Golf (with 300whp :D)!

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
cheeba said:
Obviously you're cutting corners if you put it there - the real question is are you looking to save a bit or time/money, or are you looking for the best performance? I know I wouldn't be happy with my IC wedged between the turbo and the exhaust manifold. You definitely need more cardboard if you want to mount it there :D
ouch. ok, if you put it that way. I guess I better find a different location. Thanks for the perspective. :) Since I don't have anymore cardboard, I guess I will have to upgrade from cardboard to powder coated steel. :D