Timing belt change - noise

ordep

TDI
Golf IV 110hp
Hello everyone,
Yesterday the mechanic changed the timing belt on my Golf IV 110hp ASV engine.
Around 1500rpm the car makes a strange hissing (like the sound of a turbo failure), but is not the turbo because the turbo comes around 1700rpm and the whistle is normal.
I asked the mechanic if it was the belt too tight, and he said no because there is only a position to adjustment. He also said that the noise it's because the belt is new???
The belt is not touching any side or tube and water pump was also changed.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks.

Regards,

ordep

Last edited:

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
Do you notice power dropping off when the hissing starts? That mechanic is probably full of crap -- if it was the new belt, the sound would rise & fall with your RPMs. I'd check to make sure the intake/EGR piping is properly installed -- no pinched hoses, bolts tight on EGR valve, clamps tightened.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Check all the intercooler piping and make sure it's connected. The first time I did the timing belt on the Jetta wagon the intercooler tube popped out because I didn't have the clip pushed in to hold it.

Eric

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Check to make sure the TB isn't routed w/toothed side running on one of the small rollers/idlers. Makes a pretty good noise, but its more of a whirrrrrrrring sound.

ordep

TDI
Golf IV 110hp
Hi all,

The noise of the timing belt is similar the one on this video, but not too loud.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUV27YtDCUM (see from 5 seconds). When the engine is idle, doesn't make the noise. it only happen when I accelerate, and is between 1500 and 1750 rpm, then it stop doing the noise or at least i no longer hear.

Kind regards,