At How Many Miles Did You Refresh the Suspension?

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
I got my Jetta with a ton of miles on it already (180k), and the suspension was absolutely shot. I replaced it with what is in my signature at around 200k miles. My Passat that I got with 17 miles on it after my test drive now has nearly 70k miles on it. Suspensions are one of those things that is so gradual that you don't notice it if you drive the vehicle all of the time... it is just the way the vehicle drives.

I am just trying to plan for my suspension refresh and thinking of the Bilstein sets for the shocks and struts for it off of ID Parts.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I just crossed 100k and have been thinking that once i get the first check i was going to go ahead and buy the Koni's. I absolutely loved that upgrade on my old jetta. I think i did that about the same as you, around 200k. But the passat floats so much around the two lane roads i'm on all the time that its really more of a want than a immediate need.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
One thing that is kind of small beans is a RSB, I tossed on on the '15 and it made a huge difference compared to the '12 with 80K on it.

I'm not sure if the dampeners are the same on the '12 SE vs the '15 SEL but the '12 with 80K has a Camry/buick float to it that isn't undrivable, but def not good.

BTW the RSB on the '12-'15 Passat is the exact same on on the MK5 and MK6 JSW, no need to pay extra for a different part number/differnt paint but same piece of high grade steel.

I got H&R bar as I loved it on the old jetta.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I used my loyalty money at 75k miles to subsidize Bilstein HDs and a rear H&R bar, kept stock springs. Car corners pretty well. In my experience most VWs are ready by 100k for a struts & shocks.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
One thing that is kind of small beans is a RSB, I tossed on on the '15 and it made a huge difference compared to the '12 with 80K on it.

I'm not sure if the dampeners are the same on the '12 SE vs the '15 SEL but the '12 with 80K has a Camry/buick float to it that isn't undrivable, but def not good.

BTW the RSB on the '12-'15 Passat is the exact same on on the MK5 and MK6 JSW, no need to pay extra for a different part number/differnt paint but same piece of high grade steel.

Hmmm... I recently updated to Conti DWS06's. Something seems a bit off. I can't really describe it. maybe a rear sway bar will fix it.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I'm too old and give out to want Boy Racer handling, but I am a bit annoyed by how the Passat wallows. I don't want "stiffer" or "sharper", but better valving would be good. Sometimes it reminds me of a Buick. My old 2007 Accord has 250K miles and controls bumps better, though I did put Tokiko "Blues" on it at 100K. (Great shocks.)

As always I suspect the OEM dampers are crap.

-mickey

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat

"Buick float...." Bingo! Nothing like an actual Buick, of course, which wallows around like a sinking tugboat, but it definitely tends in that direction.

Yet, paradoxically, the Passat's overall "ride quality" is more harsh than the Japanese competition. I'm willing to trade a pillowy ride for some handling, but the Passat seems to bring the worst of both worlds.

However, as a highway cruiser it's just fine. And I'm sure it's nothing that $$$ can't fix. My opinion is that it's mostly a matter of cheap shocks and some "lawyered-up" suspension settings. No rear sway bar is a big part of it. Lawyers are terrified of oversteer.

-mickey

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Have the KONI Yellow adjustable sport shocks on mine and am pretty happy since 100k.I just recently did H&R lowering springs and had to dial the dampening back all the way because of the increase in stiffness. I had a broken rear sway Bar link shortly after and thought it was the new setup at first but now everything is good

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
We had a broken end link on the '12 with only 30K on it. Been fine since with 81K on it. The rear end is the same from the MK5, the added weight and extra width is probably pushing the limit of the components if the car is really "driven".