Real World MPG with DSG

passsattdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium TDI
That's incredible. I'm *really* happy if I can get 43-44mpg on an entire tank. I've gotten 40-41 several times.
It is all in how you drive and of course your commute. I come down from 1900 feet or so, to about 500 feet, then back up to 1900 feet. It is amaizing how much rain changes MPG and of course cold.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Passsattdi: so, you're probably getting upper 50s on the way down, and lower 40s on the way back up?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
With the girlfriend driving the car to drive it (ie no regards to economy, ac 100% of the time) the mfd shows a constant 43mpg for trip 2 which I never reset in the 3k we've had it, this is on her 14 mile commute to work, back roads, 35 mph average.

It's begging for another long highway run to get numbers closer to my jetta

quinby1

TDI
2013 passat tdi
3000 miles of smiles

Well, I've had the 2013 Passat TDI Sel for about a month and just reached 3000 miles....Took trip from Virginia to NY first week I had it and got 48.4 MPG going and 47.8 coming home. Went back to NY this weekend and got 47.7 going up. Then took trip up Taconic Pkwy to Albany, 80 miles, got astounding 50.5 MPH..
47.5 coming back....around virginia, get a solid 43 in everyday local driving...have averaged 42.4 since beginning...confirmed by old fashioned computation method...not just relying on internal computer, (which is fairly accurate also) this car is amazing..way better than advertised EPA mileage.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Well, I've had the 2013 Passat TDI Sel for about a month and just reached 3000 miles....Took trip from Virginia to NY first week I had it and got 48.4 MPG going and 47.8 coming home. Went back to NY this weekend and got 47.7 going up. Then took trip up Taconic Pkwy to Albany, 80 miles, got astounding 50.5 MPH..
47.5 coming back....around virginia, get a solid 43 in everyday local driving...have averaged 42.4 since beginning...confirmed by old fashioned computation method...not just relying on internal computer, (which is fairly accurate also) this car is amazing..way better than advertised EPA mileage.
Your numbers jive almost exactly with mine. I assume you were cruising in the 70+ mph range? I find that if I lower my speed to 65 mph, I can get around 55 mpg on highway segments, but it's hard to stay at that speed on long road trips.

quinby1

TDI
2013 passat tdi
You're right BlueHen, if you do 65 on the NJ Turnpike, you'll end up a hood ornament on a semi:rolleyes:

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
Filled up our passat this weekend. we pulled into the kroger gas station and two trucks were dumping fuel (i will not fill up if they are dumping) anyway, i asked the drivers if they were dumping diesel or gas, he said gas but why would you care about diesel? haha, because my car is a diesel silly! They both came over and checked it out. they were blown away by the room in the car.

Anyway, the juicy turned out to be 36mpg and some change according to fuelly. Keep in mind probably 75% of my wife's driving is short city trips. on the weekends we go to memphis for dinner/shopping. pretty happy with that since her S4 was getting about 15-18average. maybe 20mpg on a road trip.

I drove a gasser passat rental car for about a week and got 26mpg in it. the gasser was noticeably louder too....

36.4 --
avg MPG
<LI class=latest-mileage>0.0 -- last MPG
<LI class=best-mileage>0.0 -- best MPG
Want to display some custom stats here?

• $3.62 Avg. Price/Gallon
  • $50.11 Avg. Price/Fuel-up
  • $0.096 Avg. Price/Mile
  • $100.21 Total Spent
Cost Analysis 2012

Set Your Cost Analysis Period

[ Cancel ]
Total Miles Tracked

averaging
2 per month
Total Fuel-ups

0%100%

City vs Highway Driving

Log Book

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
Filled up yesterday. 621.7 miles and the car took 14 gallons for 44.4 MPG. I've averaged 43.7 MPG since I've owned the car. I'm a happy camper!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Most recent fillup - driving home from Michigan,

Date: 10/8/12
Miles: 656.3
Gallons: 14.35
MPG: 45.7
MFI Indicated: 48.0

passsattdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium TDI
Passsattdi: so, you're probably getting upper 50s on the way down, and lower 40s on the way back up?
Well if you watch the instantaneous readout on the MFD, going up it will be in the upper 20 to the mid 30s depending upon the grade. Coming down, it is 200 + or --. Sometimess down as low as 160. Coming down, if I am alone in the car, the milage readout for the trip will hit 80 to 85. If both the wife and I are in the car I have seen 105- 108. That is a cold engine. Getting a frost heater, and I will bet it will be higher in both cases when plugged in. The cold down hill kills my mileage. Much higher when heated up. It is very interesting to watch. I use cruise a great deal. I have an idea on how to increase mileage, but have not a clue how to do a pattent. I am absolutely positive it would help and would love to get VW to listen. Anyone know how to do a pattent?

AtlantaRene

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG w/Sunroof and Nav
Overall, 36.6MPG calculated over the last 4,080 miles which includes 1500 miles of out of town trips.

AtlantaRene

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG w/Sunroof and Nav
How fast are you going on average?? My bet from your reported numbers 75-80+ mph on the highway.......
About 1/3 of my travel is by interstate. My commute to work is only 8 miles.

I noticed that the car likes to run at about 65 for the best mpg. 70 mph turns in mid-to-high 40's. 80 mph is about 43 mpg calculated.

I recently had a HPFP failure, since it was replaced the car appears to be more efficient. For example, on a recent road trip I got 51.4 mpg indicated over 300 miles at 70 mph.

-- AtlantaRene

madhotm3

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
25k miles so far - averaging 39.98 mpg lol MFI is usually about 5% off on the generous side.
Roughly 80% hwy, 20% city (by city I mean stop-and-go traffic).
My hwy driving is pretty fast at ~80mph.
As many have stated optimum speed for maximizing mpg is around 60-65mph.

10-8SHUS

TDI
Passat SE, DSG, Night Blue Metallic/Cornsilk Beige
Very Pleased with Real World MPG

44.6 MPG manually computed on third time at the pump. 1491 miles on the odometer. 638 miles, 14.3 gallons to re-fuel. Mixed (65/35) highway/city driving. Avg Consumption on the MFI usually indicates around 50MPG to/from on the 23 mile highway work commute. I expect it will trend higher. My wife and many other friends are astonished at the economy of such a spacious, comfortable, and capable vehicle.

I agree with other contributers that comments on this thread should stay on focus with real-world MPG and performance for their DSG TDIs. I'm very pleased for all the other contributers that achieve great economy performance with their manual shifters and other rides. I used to long for a 6M TDI myself and I enjoy knowing of their great economy as well, but I'm very happy with the automatic shifting and cruising capabilities of the DSG.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
A little disappointed after my first fill-up in the high 30's, although I don't know how full the tank really was when I picked up the car a couple of weeks ago.

Plus the fuel nozzle barely fit into the filler hole - has anyone else had a similar issue? I was at around 30 miles range left and filled the tank but only with 16+ gallons, even after dribbling the fuel in until I could see the level in the neck. Either the range calculation is pretty conservative or I did a crap job filling the tank...

Coming from a B4 I guess I've been spoiled (venting let me put nearly 20 gallons in my 18.5-gallon tank) so I have some adjusting to do.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
1.) Don't be upset by your first fill-up. As you said, you don't know how full it was when you took delivery of the car.

2.) The correct sized nozzle will just fit in the filler neck. It also won't insert as far as you may be used to on previous vehicles. Both of these things are normal. How level the vehicle is when you're filling up may be a factor, as well, although 16 gallons is about what I see when I fill up from the red zone.

3.) The range calculation has proven to be optimistic. Some (including myself) have speculated that VW does this to prevent running the vehicle empty. As the HPFP is lubricated and cooled by fuel, it can damage it to run dry.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
A little disappointed after my first fill-up in the high 30's, although I don't know how full the tank really was when I picked up the car a couple of weeks ago.

Plus the fuel nozzle barely fit into the filler hole - has anyone else had a similar issue? I was at around 30 miles range left and filled the tank but only with 16+ gallons, even after dribbling the fuel in until I could see the level in the neck. Either the range calculation is pretty conservative or I did a crap job filling the tank...

Coming from a B4 I guess I've been spoiled (venting let me put nearly 20 gallons in my 18.5-gallon tank) so I have some adjusting to do.
Don't sweat it. My first tank was high 30s and I've been in the 40s ever since. I really got on it a bit for break-in on that first tank. I've not gotten 16 gallons in my tank yet at a refuel. I usually refuel at the line at the top of the red zone and get 15+ gallons in.

bhuggins

Picked up our 2013 TDI SEL on 9/1. 1st tank was 38.26 and 2nd tank was 39.51 MPG. Really pleased since the city/highway is 50/50. Things should continue to get better, now if I can only get my wife to slow down (it's real easy to be doing 75+ and not know it), we'll be over 40MPG. Love the car so far.

Whitecloud1

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Mk4 w/ 250K+ . 2013 Passat SEL 45K+
Sounds like the same setup I'm running. Mileage has been just under the 40MPG mark on average. MFI usually says it's more than that but I can live with it.

For Your Wife: Use the speed warning feature. It works! I've heard it!

321drvr

TDI
2012 TDI Passatt SEL Prem. Chevy Volt
Just turning 23K on my Passat TDI SEL

First 10,000 Mileage was disappointing, much like the EPA sticker then at about the 10K mark it started to improve. I now get about 46 highway, driving 70-75 on flatland Florida interstates tank average with a 60/40 highway/city mix of 41.

Noteworthy is the way you drive it in the city. This is a big car comparatively and if you go easy in the city the DSG does a great job and will actually give you 42 to 44 stop and go driving. Conversely if you drive it like most people with a lead foot in stop and go it will give you what you ask for and result in low 30's in the MPG area.

fricknbug99

TDI
99 beetle tdi 5 speed,2013 passat se tdi dsg
9 refuels,44.6 mpgs. 30 to 60 miles oneway to work through detroit area traffic.

2manyhobbies

TDI
2012 Pissat se premium
6 speed auto has been averaging 48+ on the highway, on a recent trip from MI to KY I hit 49 on the way down and 51 on the way back (1 stop 420 miles) with a peak of 55 while in the Fort Knox area.

On my 8,000 mile trip, overall was 48, peak was 65, (I check at each fill up) low was 45. Some highways have an 80 MPH limit some 65, depending on state, terrain, road type has a huge influence, good asphalt vs messed up cement, in short the noisier the road the whose the MPG. But the 65 number was at 80 MPH on the I-10 climbing from just above sea level to over 3,000 feet (I use the dual screen function and watch my elevation on trips closely), I will discount my MPG on the I-40 down hill at 70....

I run 35 PSI in my tires...

City if I can miss the lights is crazy high 89, its the lights and stop signs that kill the MPG and average 35-38 in town.

BTY I use the cruse a lot, and in town too....

Last edited:

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
Last tank...
#Date Miles Gal. MPG Price City %Notes
310/20/12 641.0 16.01 40.0 3.439 80%

Most of her stuff is short, city trips, this last tank we had a nice 3 hour trip each way to heber springs just running 60-65mph. MFI showed 54mpg on the way there.

Scottie3000

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I'm just over 7k now and my lifetime average is 43.55 as computed manually (and climbing). My recent tanks indicate around 45 mpg. Most of my driving is hey around 70 mph and some city at both ends.