Trailer hitch for 2014 Q5 - TDI

pedser

TDI
Q5 TDI
I did not order trailer hitch as an option when purchasing my Q5 - TDI and now will like to install one. My tows are nothing more than a utility trailer (5x8) that I use to get stuff from the hardware store and as a bike carrier. I did noticed that the bumper has an opening for the hitch, see pictures.

Dealership is telling me that it will be very expensive (they do not want to deal with it) and that the DEF tank is in the way (actually is forward of the gas tank so, NO!)

Ideas suggestions???

Thanks, :)

metallocene

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG; 2014 Q5 TDI
Just took a Q5 TDI out for a test drive today. Very nice ride.

None of the Q5's they had came with a tow hitch. Said most folks don't want them. All the Q7's they ordered came with them.

Asked what it would cost to install. They said they do it themselves, now the scary part, hitch and wiring $1299, labour $400. Ouch.

At that price, aftermarket should be quite easy to make a profit at a reasonable price. Hope they do so soon.

A very nice vehicle.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
The factory hitch replaces the bumper bar under the bumper cover. The rear bumper cover has to be removed and bumper bar removed. After the wiring is installed the coding for the car has to be changed to let the car know there is a hitch.

If you think the above price is a lot price out side step bars for a Q7. There sold each and the instal sucks. You have to remove the under panels and cut them up to get them to fit. From what I remember when I worked for an Audi dealer they were about $1100 each side and 4-6 hrs labor.

On the Q5 if you have side assist the car has to go on the alignment rack because when the bumper is removed the sensors have to be recalubrated

Last edited:

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
Girlfriend picked up her '14 Q5 TDI Saturday and it looks like eBay has the factory hitch for 4400/750 for around $700, including brackets and wiring kits. Alternately, curt, draw-tite, and a couple others have options, all for under $200.

JSwigart

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI
Audi Q5 Trailer Hitch - UHaul!

I just got my Q5 and needed a hitch. Check out the UHaul website. The hitch is $200 and installation is another $200. There are instructions to DYI but I didn't have the nerve to open up my new baby!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I would caution everybody looking at hitches that different electronics like side assist and exhaust for the different engines means the part AND labour can and will vary GREATLY!

Jason