Audi Q7 Seat Configuration and Off-Road Suspension

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
We currently have a Chevy Traverse that we bought new last year. We like the interior space except we would have preferred bucket seats for the middle row. For a variety of reasons, we would like to replace it with a VW Touareg or an Audi Q7. From what I understand the Touareg does not have an option for a third row, so that leaves us with the Q7. I have seen them with a third row, but a split-bench for the middle row. Is there an option for a bucket seat configuration?

In addition, I know that they are generally the same vehicle, but a big difference between the lines is usually in the suspension. We are looking to purchase several acres in the Appalachian foothills in the next couple of years and will likely buy something with no existing paved passage. How does the suspension fare in the Q7? I know the Touareg is off-road capable and the older V10 TDI had the record for the largest towing capability of any passenger vehicle.

If necessary, I am looking to find a used Q7 (even a blown gasser) that has the right interior configuration. Then, I could look for a TDI crate engine or pull one from a salvage and then outfit with the Touareg suspension.

Ideally, I need off-road capability and good towing capacity (as we may get a decent sized boat that would need to be towed through low mountain terrain.

Plus, we would prefer the fuel efficiency of the diesel.

What are the thoughts there? I know folks don't typically get into the more luxury end with the intent to go off roading. I am not talking about sport-style off roading... more just getting through areas that aren't passable otherwise.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
I would look for a Mercedes R350 CDI or BlueTec. You can get your bucket seats, decent fuel economy. Towing is ok only 3500lbs. Not sure how the suspension would fare off road though. On the highway, its like a limo.

I don't believe you can get 2nd row buckets in the Q7. Other SUV's to check out with a 3rd row are the Mercedes GL350 and BMW X35d. I think the GL350 will have the highest tow rating at 7,500 lbs.

Seacoaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
We have owned 2 Q7's the second had the split bucket second row with a storage container/armrest taking up the center(it is removable). If my memory is correct, they called it "luxury second row seating package" there were some pro's and con's to this configuration. be prepared for alot of brake work and frequent tire replacement with this vehicle. It is in many ways a maintenance hog. i would go so far as to describe the first one as a lemon! the wife loved this vehicle an still talks about it frequently! As for off road, not my cup of tea, but Rovers are crazy in the trenchs of the back woods, not the way urban hoyty toyty types use them!

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
Hey, it has been a while since I posted.

In regards to maintenance, brakes and tires are a common issue on all larger crossovers, including the Traverse that we already have.

At this point, I am rather frustrated with the selection of diesels available here in NA. It appears that the A4/Mk4 is about as reliable as they come for the somewhat newer vehicles, unless I want to go super new.

Any diesel Land Rovers available in NA? I have never really looked, although my wife keeps talking about them. I was also thinking about a BMW X5d, but there is no third row (as with the Touareg).

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Rover does not bring the diesel ones to NA and doesn't seem likely they ever will. Q7 was never intended to be an offroad vehical like the earlier Touaregs and Cayennes. Since 11 none of them are really intended for offroad use anymore. The Touareg and Cayenne lost the low range transfer case and the Q7 never had the low range. So you may need to look elsewhere for a suitable vehicle for your needs.

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
Rover does not bring the diesel ones to NA and doesn't seem likely they ever will. Q7 was never intended to be an offroad vehical like the earlier Touaregs and Cayennes. Since 11 none of them are really intended for offroad use anymore. The Touareg and Cayenne lost the low range transfer case and the Q7 never had the low range. So you may need to look elsewhere for a suitable vehicle for your needs.
Not to mention that fewer vehicles are coming with three rows of seats...

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
I was also thinking about a BMW X5d, but there is no third row (as with the Touareg).
Yes, there is a third row on the X5d. It is a standalone option for $1700. Its not what I would call roomy. But if you're not putting 6 footers back there it should work. The thing is fast too.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
I realize this is an OLD topic, but I am in the same boat. We have a Traverse LTZ and looking to get a diesel. The only option (apparently) was the Q7.

I have no concerns about towing - we have trucks for that. As far as "off road" we only use it on dirt roads, farm paths, and fields. I don't think any suburbanite spending the coin on a Q7 is going on a serious expedition.