Best maintenance for TDI Engine

Aato

TDI
1.9TDI Passat B6
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and also new to the TDI engine. I recently bought a Passat B6 1.9TDI and it looks well maintained from the previous owner. It has a Timing belt 20000km ago and the air filter is new and the coolant is blue. I'm wondering whats the best maintenance to do apart from the above to have a healthy engine. I'll change the oil and oil filter and also the fuel filter but I've seen people cleaning EGR's etc and I'm interested in what else there is. Thanks.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Find a maintenance schedule for your model. They use expensive oil and it runs a long time. The critical item is the timing belt, check when and if it was done properly.
Maintenance is the usual stuff, often neglected are brake fluid changes and cabin filters.
The transmission fluid, coolant, power steering fluid are supposed to be good forever.

Aato

TDI
1.9TDI Passat B6
Find a maintenance schedule for your model. They use expensive oil and it runs a long time. The critical item is the timing belt, check when and if it was done properly.
Maintenance is the usual stuff, often neglected are brake fluid changes and cabin filters.
The transmission fluid, coolant, power steering fluid are supposed to be good forever.
How can I check if the timing belt was done properly? It was done 20000km ago so I'd assume if it was wrong it would have played up by now. There's a sticker on my door saying "This vehicle was serviced using Castrol oil" so I'm going to do an oil change and get a good castrol oil too.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Do what you can. We get paranoid over here in the states because so many dealerships don't replace rollers, one-time use bolts, etc.

Aato

TDI
1.9TDI Passat B6
It's more than likely the same here lol. What about the EGR valve? I'll have a look at the weekend and see if its dirty. And I'll do the Oil and Oil filter. My fuel filter has a date wrote on it when it was last changed and it says February last year so I'll change it out. Everything else looks in good shape from what I see. It has 172000 miles on it and I want to make sure it's fully serviced and ready to go.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Good idea. I'm going thru the same thing, my NB is pretty rough and no service records. Just ordered a cam belt kit and a filter pack.
The EGRs on these stay pretty dirty.

Aato

TDI
1.9TDI Passat B6
Good idea. I'm going thru the same thing, my NB is pretty rough and no service records. Just ordered a cam belt kit and a filter pack.
The EGRs on these stay pretty dirty.
I'm probably better off not touching the EGR then, if its not broke dont fix it!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Fluids and such....

At about 290k miles on the OE transmission oil in my 2000 Jetta, 5th gear popped out with no warning......... wore out. Below is that forever transmission oil [sarcasm].

Coolant is good for a very long time, I agree! Not sure about power steering fluid but I'm sure some folks are a bit anal about their fluids. :D