New TDI owner needs help!

jerrymelons

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hi, guys! I just purchased a 2000 Jetta TDI with a 5 speed. Now when I purchased the car, it had a condition where whenever you were in low revs you had no power until you stomped on the throttle and the car would take off! so I replaced the MAF sensor in hopes that this would help, as I unplugged the maf and had no problems except lower power of course. So fast forward to yesterday. I receive my new MAF sensor, install, and go for a drive. Car runs better than it has since i first got it, turbo works well and has plenty of power! get home, and pop the hood, and see one of the vaccum tees to my boost solenoid (pretty sure that's what it was) had broken! So I replace it then have to go to the store, and it starts sputtering in low revs from about 1K-2K bucking, sputtering and has no power. then once it gets to 2K it takes off and the turbo kicks in! It sometimes does it when in neutral as well, under no load. Now The timing belt and water pump was recently replaced, and timing was confirmed good at a shop with vcds. Cam is good, New air filter, and all vacuum lines were replaced. I've inserted a short video clip I took on the way to work this morning. I have no codes as well. Any suggestions are appreciated! Next on the list is testing the turbo actuator, as it does move, but I have no idea if it holds vacuum. Also a new fuel filter.
https://youtu.be/Zd__ljGfa0A

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I have a similar issue on my 2004 ford escape, it was from getting water into a main conneciton on the hire harness, dont think this is your issue though. sounds like fuel delivery. You probably have a boost leak somewhere.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
jerrymelons, it's time to go through your 18+ year old car and correct the age
related issues that can cause limp mode.
Start with the snow screen, the first possible choke point in the intake path.
Look up how to get at it. Just cut it out and move on to the EGR valve.
It's easy to inspect for gunk accumulation and not too difficult to clean.
If it looks grungy, check and clean the intake manifold if needed. Look that up.
The next item on my list of things I've had to fix is the vacuum hose that goes to
the brake booster. These will eventually crack and cause a hard to find vacuum leak.
If that checks out I would inspect and test each vacuum solenoid and make sure
they aren't clogged or just failing. Often a mechanic will forget to reconnect the
vent hose that goes to the airbox, allowing unfiltered air into the system.
I blew some debris out of my N75 after such an occurrence.
If the trouble still remains, verify that the turbo actuator is working correctly.
In addition to these things, check the check valves or just get rid of them.
I don't have any with my race-pipe equipped ALH. Above all, enjoy the process!;)

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
What I got out of your one big paragraph:

Ran well.

Hooked up a vacuum line.

Ran bad.

Vacuum lines recently replaced.

Tells me you have vacuum lines hooked up wrong.

jerrymelons

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hey guys! thanks for the help! It actually ended being resolved by replacing my N75 valve! I tried swapping it with the N18 valve and wouldn't you know it, we've got boost! Installed a new pierburg valve and all as well with the world and my TDI drives on! Thanks again!!!