AC relief valve

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
I need / like to buy a new one. The dealer and part stores are no help. I E-mailed the manufacturer but have not heard back yet.

Anyone buy one before and where?

After I got the compressor out I noticed this. But I am 95% sure it was not like that before I started, because I did look at it. And it does not leak when I blow air threw the small hole from the inside. I assume I can buy a new one... Where?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Unless your pic is upside down, I do not see any evidence of oil leakage. Thus, are you sure that the device is defective?

Below is a pic of the relief valve looking from the inside (at about 3:00 O'clock). I actually was thinking it to be just a plug, but apparently, from the pic you can see it has a center hole for the break-away element in the event of an over pressure situation.

The reason I thought it to be a only a plug is because that Compressor has an internal (Refrigerant Control Valve[RCV]) to regulate function... sort of takes the place of a Temp sensor ....

Here is a pic of what it looks like.

It sits here in the center of the Compressor...

Again, I agree that the "plug" is a relief valve. However, since it has no oil residue on it, I doubt it is defective....

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The book mentions an indicator popping out when it lets go. I wonder if that membrane acts as a burst disc and is the only thing holding in the indicator. If so it may be in a partially failed state.

This brings me to my second thought; when that device lets go does it vent the system or open the high side of the pump to the low side? I'd like to see a picher of it once you remove it.

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
I'm reasonably certain this is the place everyone calls for the high pressure relief valve
www.polarbearinc.com
Thanks!
I just ordered one from Polar Bear, and Gretchen was really nice to talk to. Be here Friday.
Unless your pic is upside down, I do not see any evidence of oil leakage. Thus, are you sure that the device is defective?
I do not think the one I have is bad. I was blowing the dirt off around the hoses and I think I hit it with the blow gun, or blew air across it and ruptured the foil seal.
I just want to be on the safe side and replace it while the system is open.
Nice pics by the way.

The original thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=428923

If this thing goes the freon goes into the atmosphere... Say good buy to the ozone.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
P.S. I got an E mail from the compressor manufacturer (Sanden) He said to call A/C Parts Warehouse 1-866-772-5502. I did not call them because I was already working with Polar Bear.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Relating to your original Thread, as you can see, I had the compressor apart. It was on the engine I purchased to install in my Vanagon.

I did not replace any O-rings and or internal seals. I re-used the head gasket as seen in the pics. I did replace the O-rings where the pipes connect to the compressor.

As for the Vanagon system, due to cracked and deteriated housing (overhead), I removed the evaporator and gave everything a good cleaning. Not recommending to you, but I used Carb and Brake cleaner to flush the evaporator and expansion valve. I blew it out with compressed air. I sit it on top of a heater to drive out any moisture, then installed. I also installed a new dryer.

I did not do anything to the condenser or the 30 year old lines. After vacuuming the system, I dumped in 4 or 5 ounces of oil. More vacuum... then charged the system with just under two 12 ounce cans of R-134a (remember, this is a Vanagon with hoses from the rear to the front)... so, the amount of oil and freon will be a little less than you might think.

Initially, (back in 2012), the welded aluminum "adapters" to mate the lines to the compressor leaked thru minute cracks in the weld. After repairng that issue, the system has worked just fine. I am sure there is plenty of old R-12 rated oil circulating in the system.

EDIT: If you noticed, the oil in the one cylinder in my pic above is about the same color as the oil you showed in the other Thread.

Last edited: