Latest ghetto mod......

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
was tired of the plate vibrating on the dash and also the spot between visors that always let the morning sun in so i decided to try this, it's ghetto free.*

while i was there i did the ventectomy. *when i get the Ultra-Gauge, i will fill it up and see if it makes a diff.
if that aint ghetto, i don't know what ghetto is!
Edit: this has been moved to the bumper already. didnt really work where it was.

Last edited:

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Interesting probably better there, then flying through the cabin unattached. Have you ever had a problem because it wasn't attached to the front of the vehicle?

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
no. there were only 2 wood screws attaching it to the bumper by the po. if i understand it correctly, plate must be visible on the front of vehicle, doesn't state how it's on there. "The Austin Court of Appeals held that Section 502.404 does not require that the front license plate be displayed on the front bumper, just that the plate be visible from the front of the vehicle." but also "In contrast, the Amarillo Court of Appeals held that the front license plate must be displayed on the foremost area of the car."
http://www.tmcec.com/public/files/F.../the-state-of-license-plate-laws-in-texas.pdf
interesting article:
http://dallasattorney.com/blog/114-no-front-license-plate-law-in-texas-missing-key-element

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I have a feeling you will be meeting an officer over this some point.

I'm also pretty sure you can't legally modify a plate (drill a hole in it.)

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
i don't see anything about altered/drilled/cut-up front plate. just read through the entire TRANSPORTATION CODE
TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
SUBTITLE A. CERTIFICATES OF TITLE AND REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES
CHAPTER 502. REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS and i didn't see it.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
you should of seen the looks i got at work today. one said i was pimping my ride, i said no, it's ghetto!
i have a few more ghetto mods in the works.............

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
LOL!

I just put a kleenex in the middle and hold it in place using that little visor thingy.

Gluhkerze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2DR TDI Stick
i don't see anything about altered/drilled/cut-up front plate. just read through the entire TRANSPORTATION CODE
TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
SUBTITLE A. CERTIFICATES OF TITLE AND REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES
CHAPTER 502. REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS and i didn't see it.

FYI: Cops dont know the laws. They wont care what the law says. If they don't like it, its illegal period. Courts can clear it up, but what a pain.

I beat a front plate ticket with my BMW. I ordered the front trim piece that did not have a front plate provision. When I got pulled over, I showed the cop that there no place to mount it, and I am not going to drill holes in my new bimm! He agreed, and let me go without a ticket. But being pulled over just isn't worth it. The less contact with police, the better.

Now this is a sweet plate mod...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV6IeRXIiBs

Last edited:

73veedubya

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS 5 Speed
i got a fix it ticket for not having the plate attached to my front bumper...so i caved and attached it with a bracket...looks fine...it saves from getting attention.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
The Lone Hole State, lol...Thunder is comin for you Spurs folk when we get done with Lakers, booyah!!!

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI: Cops dont know the laws. They wont care what the law says. If they don't like it, its illegal period. Courts can clear it up, but what a pain.

I beat a front plate ticket with my BMW. I ordered the front trim piece that did not have a front plate provision. When I got pulled over, I showed the cop that there no place to mount it, and I am not going to drill holes in my new bimm! He agreed, and let me go without a ticket. But being pulled over just isn't worth it. The less contact with police, the better.

Now this is a sweet plate mod...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV6IeRXIiBs
yes, it is a hassle and i read a lot of post about cops who just need probable cause to get you. i don't want extra attention and will get the proper holder when i get to the salvage yard along with 4 15" alloy or steel rims so i can get rid of the 17's. the bmw mod was good, and expensive. here's one:http://swiftmotorsports.com/index.p...ucts_id=1837&zenid=vmgenvd8r76l38onjc1d5ruha7
and another:
http://www.hidetheplate.com/
checked into the a few years ago and was out of my range, besides, it's not ghetto enough. i figure i can rig something like that myself, using tie straps, a spring, twine and door hinges.

Last edited:

Gluhkerze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2DR TDI Stick
Its funny that you say get rid of the 17's. My friends kept asking me if I was going to put 17, 18's on my golf when I first got her. I was like "nope". I lucked out. My 2002 golf GL, had 2003-2006 15" VW Jarama wheels on it when I got it. I liked the Jaramas the best (for 15's) I would have had to buy them if it didnt already have them. I like the stock non rice/kraut look of stock wheels. Invisible to the police also. Getting to old to drive a cop magnet.

My dad taught me when I learned to drive: Never roll a stop, always use blinkers, and cops wont bother you. Its true.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
Its funny that you say get rid of the 17's. My friends kept asking me if I was going to put 17, 18's on my golf when I first got her. I was like "nope". I lucked out. My 2002 golf GL, had 2003-2006 15" VW Jarama wheels on it when I got it. I liked the Jaramas the best (for 15's) I would have had to buy them if it didnt already have them. I like the stock non rice/kraut look of stock wheels. Invisible to the police also. Getting to old to drive a cop magnet.

My dad taught me when I learned to drive: Never roll a stop, always use blinkers, and cops wont bother you. Its true.
jarma's look good! if i find a set... that is what i am trying to get, under the radar. i am up in age, drive 600 miles a week, need a driver that is economical and want a car that looks like a grandma drives it. i will sell the 17's to anyone willing to pay me some money to get them. i will be looking for replacements come Monday... i'll be alright...

Last edited:

Gluhkerze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2DR TDI Stick
I just saw your TDI on the vortex. I didnt know you had oem 17" Ariettas. They look fine, and stockish. I thought you had some blingy aftermarket jobs. Why do you want to get the 15's? Softer ride?

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
Why do you want to get the 15's? Softer ride?
yes, and price. i can get an 80,000 mile T rated, 91 load index tire for under $70.00 each. the only 17 comparable in price ($88.00)has a UTQG 400 rating. the 15 is over 700 UTQG.

Gluhkerze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2DR TDI Stick
Ok... But I'll tell you this, those lower UTQG tires sure do stick when you need them to.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
latest mod......

so far no probs with the license plate location from johnny law.........
i call this ghetto because i used an abs plastic water filter housing. no filter but used stainless mesh, at the top and bottom. reversed flow so suction is at the top. no drain so will have to be removed to empty. used 3/4 tubing to reduce restrictions. copper elbows for the sharp bends, brass barbs, hose clamps. so large, it just fits and won't need to be emptied probably for the life of the car.

this was my last hand calc mpg with the new to me junk yard 195/65/15's removed from the pt cruiser:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=354416&highlight=deejaaa

Last edited:

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I have the same style of plastic CCV oil catch can-Trust me you will still need to clean it. I have a few oz at the end of 10K oil changes and I wouldn't want it to get too full for fear of it starting to pull back into the intake anyways.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the same style of plastic CCV oil catch can-Trust me you will still need to clean it. I have a few oz at the end of 10K oil changes and I wouldn't want it to get too full for fear of it starting to pull back into the intake anyways.
i hear ya, i was joking, nothing last that long. looked at it after a little over 120 miles(one day) and incoming hose starting to turn dark, discharge still clear.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
next ghetto mod: LED for the map light.
removed the bulb, cut rubber hose same size, cemented LED to hose, soldered leads to ends(this board is not polarity specific), reinstall and enjoy.

cost was 10.00

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
started the latest ghetto mod: handmade muffler.
it will look like the classic glasspack but will be empty. used 3.75" pipe i had left over from my muffler delete on the truck. cut slits on one end, tapered down to fit oem pipe size. other end was formed to ac·com·mo·date the 2 exit pipes but i will be using galv pipe instead. will cut/weld turn down so it will look factory. that will be done tomorrow. have a factory muffler for sale if interested. pics so far:
pipe used.

cut, tapered to ne welded.

mandrels used to bend pipe.

high tech calipers used to measure pipes.

finished bends before tail/exit pipe welded in.

toolongtospell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (170K)
yes, it is a hassle and i read a lot of post about cops who just need probable cause to get you. i don't want extra attention and will get the proper holder when i get to the salvage yard along with 4 15" alloy or steel rims so i can get rid of the 17's. the bmw mod was good, and expensive. here's one:http://swiftmotorsports.com/index.p...ucts_id=1837&zenid=vmgenvd8r76l38onjc1d5ruha7
and another:
http://www.hidetheplate.com/
checked into the a few years ago and was out of my range, besides, it's not ghetto enough. i figure i can rig something like that myself, using tie straps, a spring, twine and door hinges.
It would be funny if you see the red and blue light up, and you know that the only thing wrong is that you didn't have a front license plate showing.

As soon as the officer gets behind you and pulls you over you hit the switch, and POP you got a front license plate. You ask "What did I get pulled over for officer?" officer replies "No front license plate." You could be like "I have no idea what you are talking about... go check"

Berniem

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW-Jetta-My son 03ALH
I like the plastic oil catch can CCV. I noticed more fluid build up in the cold winter month on my old ALH. I insulated the plastic hoses as well. B

Last edited:

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
It would be funny if you see the red and blue light up, and you know that the only thing wrong is that you didn't have a front license plate showing.
As soon as the officer gets behind you and pulls you over you hit the switch, and POP you got a front license plate. You ask "What did I get pulled over for officer?" officer replies "No front license plate." You could be like "I have no idea what you are talking about... go check"
that would be worth getting on video.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
I like the plastic CCV oil catch can CCV. I noticed more fluid build up in the cold winter month on my old ALH. I insulated the plastic hoses as well. B
good idea on the insulation.
it has captured about 4 Tbs so far. there is nothing better out there for the price i paid for it, free.

Berniem

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW-Jetta-My son 03ALH
Thanks! The flip plate would be a risk I would not want to take. I do like the plastic CCV oil catch can. I did not think we needed one on a BEW... Coalminers 04 Golf. I had a small one on my previous ALH which worked well. Bigger is better in this instance. B

Last edited: