Low voltage situation

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Hey guys, I'm hoping for some help with something, I've been reading a lot of old posts and there's a big difference in my situation that has no explanation as far as I can tell.

My battery has been dying, won't keep a charge. Had the system checked by AAA and it shows low voltage on the charging system: No Load-11.88V, Loaded-12.15V. With a multimeter and the car running voltage fluctuates fast between 12 and 15 V. Battery just showed it needed trickle charging, didn't fail.

Battery is 4 years old so I originally thought that might be the issue. Alternator is 1 year old, and was a new Bosch unit. A quick check of wiring and grounds didn't reveal anything weird but maybe I need to take a closer look.

Here is the bizarre thing: My charging indicator light has not turned on. I have verified that it illuminates when I turn the key in the ignition. A year ago when my alternator went bad the battery light alerted me to it. Anybody have ideas? Thanks.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
First things first... What Yr, make, model of car do you have?
Your signature says you don't have any TDI's (yet)

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
The battery light is controlled by the alternator not by voltage. Recently i saw a explanation of which wire runs this but I forgot the post.

Where did this "new" bosch alternator come from? Also do you know if it had the proper clutched pulley on it?

From what ive seen, the bosch units are only really out there in a reman form now. Unless they are just so expensive nobody even offers them as new.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
First things first... What Yr, make, model of car do you have?
Your signature says you don't have any TDI's (yet)
Sorry, 2002 2.0L Jetta Wagon, gasser. I used to have a B4 Passat Tdi and found people on this forum pretty knowledgeable so I still come around.

Last edited:

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
The battery light is controlled by the alternator not by voltage. Recently i saw a explanation of which wire runs this but I forgot the post.

Where did this "new" bosch alternator come from? Also do you know if it had the proper clutched pulley on it?

From what ive seen, the bosch units are only really out there in a reman form now. Unless they are just so expensive nobody even offers them as new.
What does that mean though? That if the battery indicator isn't lighting up and I have confirmed the bulb is good, it can't be the alternator?

The new Bosch alternator is from German Auto Parts, it does have the slip clutch pulley. I'll doublecheck but I'm pretty sure it was new as there was no core charge.

EDIT: Yes, it was new.

Last edited:

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
With a swing like that I'd check the ground points. There are a lot of them on that car! If it is set up at all like the TDI there is one under the battery tray that can be susceptible to debris, and corrosion a bit more than the rest. I'd check as many ground points as you can find and clean and retighten them. This would be a cheap first step before diving into the alternator / voltage regulator. Most of the big name auto parts stores will do a starting / charging test for you for free. That may also give you some guidance, but I'd check the ground points first, personally.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
With a swing like that I'd check the ground points. There are a lot of them on that car! If it is set up at all like the TDI there is one under the battery tray that can be susceptible to debris, and corrosion a bit more than the rest. I'd check as many ground points as you can find and clean and retighten them. This would be a cheap first step before diving into the alternator / voltage regulator. Most of the big name auto parts stores will do a starting / charging test for you for free. That may also give you some guidance, but I'd check the ground points first, personally.
Planned on it, will do. Thanks.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
What does that mean though? That if the battery indicator isn't lighting up and I have confirmed the bulb is good, it can't be the alternator?

The new Bosch alternator is from German Auto Parts, it does have the slip clutch pulley. I'll doublecheck but I'm pretty sure it was new as there was no core charge.

EDIT: Yes, it was new.

Bosch doesn't take back cores even on the reman units. Confirmed thru idparts on there page it says the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
Hope this stuff helps you out. Be sure to keep us updated....

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
For what it's worth the alternator can easily be bad and not turn the dash light on. Some failures will trigger the light, some will not.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
There are a few things you can do to determine where your problem lies. The easiest to do is a voltage drop test from the alternator output stud to the battery positive post. Then from the alternator case to the battery negative post. Both tests are with the engine running, meter on DC volts. Any reading above .5v is excessive and indicates a problem between where the leads are placed. A negative reading means the leads are swapped.
Charging voltage normally runs from 13.5 — 14.5 volts. Your initial reading indicates the battery isn't being charged.
Also check all connections to the alternator - non should be lose.

Last edited:

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
There are a few things you can do to determine where your problem lies. The easiest to do is a voltage drop test from the alternator output stud to the battery positive post. Then from the alternator case to the battery negative post. Both tests are with the engine running, meter on DC volts. Any reading above .5v is excessive and indicates a problem between where the leads are placed. A negative reading means the leads are swapped.
Charging voltage normally runs from 13.5 — 14.5 volts. Your initial reading indicates the battery isn't being charged.
Also check all connections to the alternator - non should be lose.
Looks like you guys were right. I cleaned the grounds under the battery tray, though they looked ok. When I went to remove the + strap from the alternator it felt loose a bit, removed it and it looked like it needed a little sanding. Retightened and everything is well again.

One thing I was wondering about, and I feel like I made this mistake at some point years ago doing an alternator on another car, as I tightened I heard the black plastic casing of the alternator begin to give/crack, so I backed off a bit. If memory serves when I cracked the piece years ago it didn't matter much as far as the function of the alternator, but it's possible I was extra careful installing this one. It wouldn't loosen if it was torqued to spec I'm guessing. Thanks everyone! Relieved the solution was simple.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad it worked out! :)

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Just for future reference... the battery idiot light is called an idiot light for a reason... it often lies about charging system issues, particularly if the issue is subtle. :) :)

A voltmeter is your best diagnostic, as you found out. 12.5V or better, engine off, 13.5V or better, engine running. Else something's going on, regardless of what the idiot light says. :)