Put a deposit on a 2015 Passat SEL Premiun

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
Put a deposit on a 2015 Passat SEL Premium

So I came across a Candy White Passat SEL Premium DSG w/Tiptronic. It has 42,700 miles on the ODO. Clean CarFax and proper VW service records, except it wasn't totally clear whether the DSG 40k service had been performed. Pictures of exterior and interior (Titan Black) look good. Original factory warranty is good until 8/2020.

They initially wanted $16,995.00, but I negotiated a price of $14,300.00 (title, registration & state taxes are not included).

The car is located 2.5 hours from me at a VW dealership and they agreed to bring it to another of their associated dealers (KIA) near me. The car will be delivered with a fresh oil & filter change, and a DSG 40k service with the supporting VW service records documenting the aforementioned.

Deal is contingent upon my inspection and test drive.

Lastly, prices are all over the map for the 2015 Passat and Jetta. Don't know if I got a good or great deal at this point. I shifted from the Jetta to the Passat, because ALL dealer's - including independents - were not very willing to deal much on the 2015 Jetta's. I suppose that's because of the popularity/demand for the Jetta.

My current deal is only 100's more than what they want for a similar condition 2015 Jetta SE. Damn near equal for a Jetta SEL and possibly more for fewer miles.

Tell me what you think... car will be here sometime Monday I'm told.

I'll update this thread after I test drive it and share my experience.

John

Last edited:

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
Buy if you like TDIs, your a fool to not buy! TDI passats, a lot bigger than Jettas , good thing, fuel mileage.... well it all depends on how fast you drive. DEF tanks, fill it every year at least once, always fill before winter....keep heating elements in total submersige of fluid! DEF elements are like home electric hot water bottles, if not in fluid they burn up!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Bought a '14 SEL with 78k last weekend for $12k, I'd say for a year newer and half the miles, worth it.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
Buy if you like TDIs, your a fool to not buy! TDI passats, a lot bigger than Jettas , good thing, fuel mileage.... well it all depends on how fast you drive. DEF tanks, fill it every year at least once, always fill before winter....keep heating elements in total submersige of fluid! DEF elements are like home electric hot water bottles, if not in fluid they burn up!

Wilder - thanks for the advice.

Does anyone know if the Def tank is thermostatically controlled?

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
Bought a '14 SEL with 78k last weekend for $12k, I'd say for a year newer and half the miles, worth it.

Nero - that's good info. Helps me put my deal in perspective. For sure they're not selling them on the cheap.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Wilder - thanks for the advice.

Does anyone know if the Def tank is thermostatically controlled?
I can tell you from industry standard of over the road trucks with midrange and heavy duty engines that use Def, yes they are. Any temperature under 25°F they turn on in OTR case. I'd assume it's similar since DEF systems are all very similar. Def freezes at 11°F.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So I came across a Candy White Passat SEL Premium DSG w/Tiptronic. It has 42,700 miles on the ODO. Clean CarFax and proper VW service records, except it wasn't totally clear whether the DSG 40k service had been performed. Pictures of exterior and interior (Titan Black) look good. Original factory warranty is good until 8/2020.
I would question this..... The original factory warranty was 3 years or 36,000 miles and both have since passed. It is not possible for a dealer to extend the factory warranty and force vw to honor it. It is possible they offered an aftermarket extended warranty like JM&A, but only being 16 months doesn’t make any sense either...

Is the car Vw Certified Pre-Owned? If so, it will have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on everything that isn’t wear & tear or consumables.

Also, since the car is TDI, If it has already had the emissions fix, it will have the “Dieselgate” emissions warranty which is good for 11 years or 162,000 miles from original purchase date. So assuming it was originally bought sometime in 2015, it would be good until 2026 or when the car hits 162,000 miles on the clock. This warranty covers A LOT of parts. Google 2015 Passat Emissions Warranty to find the booklet.

They initially wanted $16,995.00, but I negotiated a price of $14,300.00 (title, registration & state taxes are not included).
I’d say that’s a pretty good price... I got my SE with 55,000 miles for $13.5k a year ago. I would kill to trade to an SEL for $800 more.

The car will be delivered with a fresh oil & filter change, and a DSG 40k service with the supporting VW service records documenting the aforementioned.
Good negotiating to get the DSG service done. Better safe than sorry.

Tell me what you think... car will be here sometime Monday I'm told.
I think ya did good.

Hopefully the car is as cherry as she sounds.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
JohnTso

I would question this..... The original factory warranty was 3 years or 36,000 miles and both have since passed. It is not possible for a dealer to extend the factory warranty and force vw to honor it. It is possible they offered an aftermarket extended warranty like JM&A, but only being 16 months doesn’t make any sense either...

Is the car Vw Certified Pre-Owned? If so, it will have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on everything that isn’t wear & tear or consumables.

Also, since the car is TDI, If it has already had the emissions fix, it will have the “Dieselgate” emissions warranty which is good for 11 years or 162,000 miles from original purchase date. So assuming it was originally bought sometime in 2015, it would be good until 2026 or when the car hits 162,000 miles on the clock. This warranty covers A LOT of parts. Google 2015 Passat Emissions Warranty to find the booklet.

I’d say that’s a pretty good price... I got my SE with 55,000 miles for $13.5k a year ago. I would kill to trade to an SEL for $800 more.

Good negotiating to get the DSG service done. Better safe than sorry.

I think ya did good.

Hopefully the car is as cherry as she sounds.

You are correct on the 3 year or 36k bumper warranty. I was referring to the remainder of the 5 year or 60k drive train warranty. I should have been more clear.

The car was purchased 8/20/2015 and titled the next day. It's a 1 owner car and it wasn't leased.

I have downloaded a copy of the Booklet published by VW.

I post here after I spend time with it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Killer deal, nice to know current prices. We "bought" our NOS '15 SEL for about 27K but it had 60 miles on the clock, def quite the premium for driving a new car for a few years vs a one owner, but we always had the long run in mind for it.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
JohnTso

Killer deal, nice to know current prices. We "bought" our NOS '15 SEL for about 27K but it had 60 miles on the clock, def quite the premium for driving a new car for a few years vs a one owner, but we always had the long run in mind for it.

Well the jury is still out. Awaiting a call to confirm local dealer has car on lot.

If it's straight clean car it could be a good deal. Considering the balance of the drive train warranty and the extended emissions warrany it makes this car worth consideration.

I've got a 3 page checklist for it to pass for me to take it home.

GBrown31

TDI
06 Jetta 15 Passat SEL
Just purchased a 15 Passat SEL 2 weeks ago. 40k miles was from Texas and just turned in last Oct. so only sat for a few months. Took almost 3 weeks of negotiating to get them down from $17500 to $14500.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
I took delivery of the Passat today. Exterior paint & body are flawless except for a slight scuff on the step of the rear bumper that will buff out. Far better than expected/hoped.

Interior is immaculate and I was pleased that WeatherTech (VW Passat) floor mats (front & rear) and a VW trunk cargo mat were included with the purchase. All were in excellent condition. Nice positive bonus - IMHO.

The KIA dealer came through on the DSG service and provided me with the VW dealer paperwork indicating the service was properly performed. He commented how expensive it was ($270.00) even though the VW dealer was part of their corporate group.

I took nearly 2.5 hours for me to go through my entire 3 page checklist - including under carriage inspection (on a lift) and test drives. All mechanical and features were tested. Gotta say VW has a long way with their undercoating and rust proofing. I was surprise how well the under carriage looked for a car with more the 40k mikes.

The only squawks were a missing 2nd key fob and the driver heated seat wasn't working. Consequently, the price was reduced to 14k and if I have to go further than a blown fuse or a broken wire, to resolve the no seat heat, I get 3 tanks of fuel on them.

We filled up the tank, on their dime, from dead empty and I drove home.

I have to say I'm very much impressed by the 2.0 TDI and DSG transmission. I'm glad I went with a 2015 Passat over a Jetta. It's a nice car.

John

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Congrats on your car! $14k is a great price, especially with the DSG service and a good overall car. Hopefully the driver seat heater won't be anything big.

I also was missing a 2nd key fob and paid about $250+- for a spare at my VW dealer, because I was uncomfortable with just having 1.

You're gonna love it! I know I love mine!

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
JohnTso

Congrats on your car! $14k is a great price, especially with the DSG service and a good overall car. Hopefully the driver seat heater won't be anything big.

I also was missing a 2nd key fob and paid about $250+- for a spare at my VW dealer, because I was uncomfortable with just having 1.

You're gonna love it! I know I love mine!

Smashed - I'm happy with the deal. I've priced out a new fob with cut key is $134.00. Local VW dealer will reprogram for $95.00.

Even though I've got less than 200 miles behind the wheel, I can say it's all been positive. I'm really impressed with how well the E288 engine performs with the DSG transmission.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
JohnTso

FWIW - I have no complaints about the Fender sound system.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Was someone sitting in the passengers seat to test the heated seat?

Somehow it sticks in my mind it needs the occupancy detector to activate the heated seat.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
JohnTso

Was someone sitting in the passengers seat to test the heated seat?

Somehow it sticks in my mind it needs the occupancy detector to activate the heated seat.

Passenger seat heats works. It's the driver seat that's not working. I haven't checked into ehat the problem is a this point.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ahh bad reading on my part.

Webbie1

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE Manual
I'm picking up a 2015 Passat SE manual with 41k miles on it for $12,900. It's a CPO car, and was just turned into vw in August of last year, so it hasn't been sitting long either. I think this is an amazing deal....super excited. It JUST came up for sale 5 days ago.....I doubt it would have lasted long if I hadn't found it.

Warner

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
That's a good deal. You can't beat the warranties you're getting (2 year bumper-to-bumper, then 162k miles or 11 years).

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
JohnTso

I'm picking up a 2015 Passat SE manual with 41k miles on it for $12,900. It's a CPO car, and was just turned into vw in August of last year, so it hasn't been sitting long either. I think this is an amazing deal....super excited. It JUST came up for sale 5 days ago.....I doubt it would have lasted long if I hadn't found it.

Warner

That is a good deal! Wanting and willing to drive a manual trans worked in your favor.

I would have had a manual trans, but the little woman refuses to drive one.

That said, the DSG is sweet for an automatic!

Webbie1

TDI
That is a good deal! Wanting and willing to drive a manual trans worked in your favor.

I would have had a manual trans, but the little woman refuses to drive one.

That said, the DSG is sweet for an automatic!
I think there was a lot of luck involved. But yes, I completely preferred a manual trans. Picking it up on Saturday and getting excited. Currently driving a pretty beat 07 Ford Focus that my daughter had been driving in high school. Congrats on yours...and sorry for hijacking the thread.

Warner

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now that is a true unicorn, especially seeing most 12-14 manual passats will be crushed as there was no epa fix approved.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Right, so finding a manual passat TDI leaves pretty much just the 2015s, anyone else looking for one in a few years is going to be hard pressed to find one.

Webbie1

TDI
Right, so finding a manual passat TDI leaves pretty much just the 2015s, anyone else looking for one in a few years is going to be hard pressed to find one.
Got it....I understand now. Yes, I'm very happy with this decision. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Warner

Webbie1

TDI
That's a good deal. You can't beat the warranties you're getting (2 year bumper-to-bumper, then 162k miles or 11 years).
Yeah, it seems like a pretty safe bet for $13k. I can't think of another used car that I could buy that would come with that type of combined warranty. And getting 40+ mpg is a fantastic bonus. Especially in a car that's not full of batteries and has LOTS of room.

Warner

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5spd, 2014 Passat DSG
Yeah, it seems like a pretty safe bet for $13k. I can't think of another used car that I could buy that would come with that type of combined warranty. And getting 40+ mpg is a fantastic bonus. Especially in a car that's not full of batteries and has LOTS of room.
Warner
Agreed. I looked at BMW and Mercedes diesels. In the end I went with VW for the warranty. I like not having to deal with any issues for a few years. Not on my daily commuter at least. :)