MN Chat Thread

tew5293

TDI
02 Jetta GLS
Lag

I am having the same lag problem as cochranecustoms it takes off fine accels well then at about 2200 it falls on its face it will still climb slowly and then at about 3000 it picks back up and takes off also noticed a overall power loss. I recently purchased the car from someone who babied it. I did have the dealer check it over before purchase and they said it would need a intake cleaning. I did pull hose off of EGR and looked in it but did not look bad. plan on pulling and cleaning EGR this week and this will allow me to see in the intake. I just changed fuel filter and air filter had tb done just before 80k always run sythetic 114k on it now. I would really like to get this fixed soon as I know it is hindering my economy. Any ideas please respond thanks in advance.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Old post but good read. Go to the near end of the post to see the solution and pictures. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=155184

This is the reason why we need to clean our intakes from time to time. Don't wait for a build up. The build up starts in the neck of the intake manifold and will contine to the cylinder head ports. By keeping the intake clean, you prevent the buildup on the cylinder head ports. There will always be a little layer of crud on the port holes, which is normal. You won't be able to keep it clean if you are stock. You need to go anal to keep it real clean, get the EGR Cooler delete mod and a race pipe, and filter the CCV hose.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
points said:
Was that a 10 hour timing belt job?

DeafBug, Whenever you feel up to it I need a new timing belt. I'm at 96k on a 100k belt.

Like I said before, you can use my tools and my brain. I won't do the wrench until my lawyer gives me the green light. Right now, with my back injury from last month and the nasty divorce, I have to suspend my service. But it doesn't stop me from helping others and letting them borrow my special tools.

Now you probably wonder WHEN? When the house is sold and after the court discussion of whether or not she gets spousal maintenance. It could be months after the house is sold.

Depending how fast you wrench and how well you understand the steps I tell you to do, it determines how long the job will take. Yes, that was a 9 hour timing belt job. Thanks to Nick for assisting us with the bold extractor as a new bolt broke in half. Not to mention there was oil ALL over. All seals were replaced.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Also, as DB is in Limbo, (bad back joke), MN Miser and Green Geeker have offered their services in Mn Miser's really nice garage, aka the TDI Dub Clubhouse. So there is another timing belt/intake etc option for the group.

BTW MNM/GG your stuff is on the way to my house, I will arrange to drop it off this weekend or next.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
For the next GTG I could probably come and help you guys with TB/intake cleaning. It would be good time to test my manual TDI for mpg and clutch break in.

TDI
2003 Jetta
points said:
Thanks for the reply... I got a CEL this morning. P0401. I will check the shudder valve today.

I think I fixed it. Couple new vacuum lines and the shudder is gone. Tomorrow will be the test... I will be replacing the rest as time goes one.

Thanks again guys for helping me out and everybody else. I would be lost without this group.

Last edited:

waitin4mine

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GL 5-Speed
count us in next time

Just catching up on the TDI board and realized we missed the GTG--we will start watching closer would love to attend one. :)
Waitin4mine
YellowBugGirl

cochranecustoms

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI
This low power problem is killing me. I am oficially angry at this car. What a turd!. Just ran diesel purge thru, Changed nothing

Went to dealer to get a thermostatic T, for my new style filter. The 98 came with some odd ball fuel filter. They wanted 44 dollars. I ran out of that crap hole! Anyone have an extra or a way around it? Contemplating the cat fuel filter kit, but it still runs the thermostatic T,

Thanks

Nick

cochranecustoms

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI
Thanks for finding that Nick. That is a huge help. Much better deal than the dealer! Always good to have a few spare parts on the shelf.

Later!

cochranecustoms

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI
I hate this car!

This is the newest list of things I have done to track down this redonkulos problem. If anyone has any advice or know someone that might I would be forever in your debt. Thanks a million!
I have a thread under this label,
Why NO acceleration/Power?, MAF? Turbo? Fuel PUMP?

Hello I have a 98 NB with a major lag problem, and it has the slow down stumbles
. I never knew it was so slow. Car was slow when we purchased it. Just got back from a MN get together (GTG) (1-25-08). Had the opportunity to drive a tdi jetta all stock 120k miles. Car had Lots of get up, nice power. Realized my car had a problem.

My car has 100k miles and has been slow since I bought it, just thought its a tdi and it gets 40mpg, Ill just try to get a good launch when getting on the freeway. I mean this car is a royal turd, very slow.

Just did a 100k service, did all this,
Changed 1-08 105K miles

Coolant temp sensor
Glow plugs
Glow plug harness
Manual transmission fluid
Flushed brake fluid
Coolant exchange
Oil cooler seals
Upper radiator hose
Oil and filter
Cabin filter
Air filter
Cleaned snow screen
Cleaned intake
Cleaned EGR

EGR cooler delete and EGR blocked off
Cleaned intercooler
TB change
Adjusted timing (vag-com)
Water pump
Crank Seal
Cam seal
TB idler pulleys and tensioner
CV filter kit
Cleaned with Diesel Purge
New fuel filter
New MAF
(USED one, from junk yard) The one I removed is still good, I think.

Checked the turbo actuation, works fine with mityvac. Also verified that the turbo us working when running, again works fine. Can hear it spool up, also hear the wastegate open when letting off accelerator pedal.

Checked all vacuum lines, check valve, applied mityvac to lines, holds pressure, vacuum works when car is running too.

Added a full bottle of redline 85 plus in tank 50 miles now no change.

When checking for a bad MAF ran it up to 5000rpm's no problem, seems like the MAF is
ok.

After all this work, still no pick up in speed, and still 40 mpg at best. At the GTG I had a few guys try to help out. No check engine light. Unplugged the maf no change either, wont even throw a cel. - turbo sounds like it is clearly working (spooling up). Had it hooked up to the vag-com and still couldnt find anything. Doesnt throw any cel codes. Car lags with acceleration. Also the car has the slow down shudders, when coming to a stop from 40 mph you drop car into Neutral and coast to stop sign. Car stumbles until speedometer reaches zero. If our car has 90 hp, we are running on maybe 50 it feels like.

Any help advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
cochranecustoms said:
This is the newest list of things I have done to track down this redonkulos problem. If anyone has any advice or know someone that might I would be forever in your debt. Thanks a million!
I have a thread under this label,
Why NO acceleration/Power?, MAF? Turbo? Fuel PUMP?

Hello I have a 98 NB with a major lag problem, and it has the slow down stumbles.
Try to find good used turbo to swap with your old one and see if there is any improvements. Aaron a tdi member from Yankton, SD had problem with his Jetta that had lag and would go into limp mode all the time. He have tried changing actulator and no help, then he put new turbo in and wow car runs great now.

If you were closer I'm sure would be able to figure out something, find the root of problem but your are few hours away.

cochranecustoms

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI
it seems like the turbo works fine, also, took off the turbo hoses, vanes look good and it spins fine. like i said before, you can hear it spool up all the way to 5k rpm, you can also hear the wastegate too.

thanks

let me know if you have any other ideas, i think it is a fuel problem.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
cochranecustoms said:
it seems like the turbo works fine, also, took off the turbo hoses, vanes look good and it spins fine. like i said before, you can hear it spool up all the way to 5k rpm, you can also hear the wastegate too.

thanks

let me know if you have any other ideas, i think it is a fuel problem.
Have you had your injectors cleaned? Try that or swap nozzles with new ones.

cochranecustoms

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI
Well finally got her repaired, what a change in power. Turns out that it was the MAF. What a joke! The easiest thing to fix, symptoms just were not typical. The 1st replacement I put in was a guarenteed part from the junk yard, yea a guarenteed piece of garbadge. This is absolute proof that you absolutely need to get your car checked with a vag com to establish where all the vitals are at. Now all I have to do is repair the slowdown shudder issue, I am going to try new nozzles, Ill do the IQ settings later. Thanks Green Geeker for the help and the Vagcom readings. Thanks to all for the things to look for, and what to examine, Huge help,!

jmarv

TDI
06 bug the wifes car 03 bug 5 spd my car
i was wondering if any one in the Twin cities has the kit to fill the fluid in my wifes DSG we live near wyoming. she is at 35,000 so i have some time.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Oh I think a message to GreenGeeker or MNMiser will work, the are kinda the local "Guru's" since Deafbug is down.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Dead Bug

This actually happened a couple of weeks back but alot of crazy stuff has been going on in my life and I just now got to working on the car.

Long story somewhat short: Went for breakfast with the wifey in Clearwater a few Sunday's back. Filled up our stomachs at Keith's Kettle (yum), hopped across the road and filled up the Bug (2000 TDI) with some fresh fuel and took it through the car wash. Started driving towards home and was coasting into Clear Lake, about 40 mph slowing to 30. All of a sudden there was a bad squealing coming from the engine. In about 2-3 seconds the engine quit running completely. No smoke...no warning whatsoever. Tried cranking it over just once, would hardly turnover so I figured something was seized up.

Got it towed to Eich in St. Cloud and they looked at it the next day. I told them to just do some minimal investigation to see what might have happened. They dropped the oil and pulled the valve cover and intercooler tube from the intake. $139 bucks later, Jason told me "a valve came up through the head," and that they would need to pull the head to find out more. But they wanted $800+ to do that so I cut my losses and had it towed home and pushed back into my lovely heated shop. I have good wrenching skills, and I recently got laid off from work so I have plenty of time.

So I take a look, no obvious damage on the top side, cam and lifters all look normal. No sign of a valve "pushing up and through the head." Some metal shavings were observed on top of #1 cylinder lifter next to camshaft bearing/journal. Hmm...cap and journal look discolored/burned. Pulled cap...smelled the burned oil right away. Severe galling of the journals and cam. Pulled the next cap, light wear but not nearly as bad. I'm guessing the squealing I heard was the cam seizing up.

I did not check to see where the timing is at, Jason at Eich told me that it appeared to be okay timing wise...with normal wear on the timing belt. He did say however that the belt tension appeared to be a little loose. Timing belt was due for replacement, but again it all looks intact. My dad and I did turn the engine over using the starter. It turns over normal but shows no signs of firing. No abnormal noises can be heard. There is some "popping" coming from the EGR where the intercooler pipe was taken off. Not sure if that would be considered normal or not.

So I am now working on pulling the head. Everthing from the backside/bottom has been disconnected (I plan on keeping the intake/exhaust manifolds inplace during removal). I am now working on pulling the rear timing cover but cannot seem to get it off. I pulled the cam and injection pump sprockets and all visible bolts. Do I need to unbolt the motor mount as well? What else is holding this thing on?

I'll post results when I get the head pulled, and may get some pics posted tomorrow at least of the camshaft journals. Not really sure what happened at this point. If I pull the head and see that it looks okay...then I'll probably pull the oil pan and check out the bottom end for any damage. Do the oil pumps on these engines ever fail? Just so no one asks...yes it did have oil in it. I did not run it dry.

I bought the car with 100k back in July. Now it has roughly 120k and I've changed the oil three times (when I got it, 110k, and 120k.) Used Mobil-1 0w-40 which has VW 505 spec. I have no clue about the maintenance history other than there are some clues under the hood. Coolant tank cap has markings on it, "-50F - 11/10/06." Also the battery has been engraved with the date purchased. These aren't things that even I do...and I keep pretty good track of my vehicle maintenance.

Any ideas what happened? I'll keep you updated.

ON EDIT:
Forgot to mention that when the tow truck driver was hooking up after Eich worked on it...the hot-side intercooler pipe had been removed from the intercooler and engine oil was draining from it. A nice little puddle about 8 inches in diameter...and it was still coming out a little bit. Not sure how much more leaked out as it was being towed. None has come out since its been in my shop. Should this be a clue?

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
TDICADDGUY said:
ON EDIT:
Forgot to mention that when the tow truck driver was hooking up after Eich worked on it...the hot-side intercooler pipe had been removed from the intercooler and engine oil was draining from it. A nice little puddle about 8 inches in diameter...and it was still coming out a little bit. Not sure how much more leaked out as it was being towed. None has come out since its been in my shop. Should this be a clue?
Sorry to hear about your car. its good thing that you can wrench yourself that would save you $$$ for labor. With a lot of oil been in intercooler it more sound like your turbo give up. Another question rases why engine seized up?:confused: Well until you pull head out we won't know what happend for sure. Good luck and keep us updated. If you need any help feel free to contact me.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
TDICADGUY,
if you need my help reinstalling, I can help next month if the house hasn't been sold yet.

As for the oil in 8 inch diameter, that is nothing to worry about. It is typically moisture accumulation mixture with oil. It is normal, the mileage of your car, that is normal amount if it never has been cleaned.

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
Help needed for moving furniture

DeafBug needs your help Friday evening!

I have a carpet cleaning scheduled for Saturday at 9am.

I need several guys to help me move the furniture to the kitchen or dining room from the upper level. I need it all cleared so the carpet cleaners can do their job.

Also I would need your help on Sunday afternoon to put the furniture back in place. The house will be listed on Monday. Realtor is coming to take pictures Monday.

On a side note, I just learned last week that I fractured my verbrate from the ladder fall. So I am in a long recovery to prevent further damage.

Email me for address deafbug at gmail dot com unless you know where I live.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
tdicaddguy,
Did you pull the cam and inspect the cam followers? Where was the TB tensioner indicator at before you pulled it?

I'm wondering why you lost lubrication at that journal. Blockage in the oil passage? No oil pressure? Did you have the valve cover off when you were turning the motor over? Were you getting oil in the top of the motor?

I'd start a separate thread in the A4 section...you're likely to get more help.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Deafbug - slight chance i'll be in the cities this weekend and i could help. i'll know by friday and email you if i will be down.

also, does anybody need/want any of my stock/boring parts i'm trying to get rid of? all prices can be lowered if there is interest...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=136256

cochranecustoms

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI
Just installed a HID lighting kit. By far the best mod I have ever done! Absolutely amazing the difference in the road lighting, even on a wet road its perfect vision, depth, clarity. Highly reccomend everyone does it!

Also anyone still want to do a gtg and some window tinting. I will be ordering a couple of 100' rolls soon.

Later

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
cochranecustoms said:
Just installed a HID lighting kit. By far the best mod I have ever done! Absolutely amazing the difference in the road lighting, even on a wet road its perfect vision, depth, clarity. Highly reccomend everyone does it!

Also anyone still want to do a gtg and some window tinting. I will be ordering a couple of 100' rolls soon.

Later
Yes, GTG wouldn't be bad idea in next couple weeks. I could come and let you guys test drive my new ride and give you guys hand on some repairs. Couple days ago installed new Bosch 520 nozzles from Justin Morris he had special last month and they are awesome a lot of torque now. At WOT I could spin tires in first two gears on dry pavement then in third start to get traction.:eek: Its nice to convert auto to manual you get 11mm fuel pump right away then add some bigger nozzles and tuning and enjoy the ride.:D