VW trucks heading stateside?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
They're talkin' the talk, but are they walkin' the walk? Be sure to VOTE!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/16/vw-small-commercial-trucks-caddy-usa/

By Noah JosephRSS feed
Posted Sep 16th 2013 11:01AM

Just a few years ago, nobody thought that small commercial vans would find much place in the US market. But Ford has turned that notion on its head with the Transit Connect, Nissan has joined in with its NV200 and others are apparently keen to follow.

The latest is Volkswagen, which according to Reuters, is considering bringing over some of its small commercial vehicles to the US – models like the company's Caddy range shown above. The newest Caddy shares a strong family resemblance with the rest of the VW lineup in America and would seem to fit right in at the company's dealerships. While admitting that such a scenario "certainly represent an opportunity," Volkswagen of America CEO Jonathan Browning stopped short of confirming plans sell the Caddy or any other commercial van or pickup in the US, saying only that "there are preliminary discussions but no definitive plans."

Of course, not everyone has fared well in America's nascent mini commercial market. Mini recently tried offering its (much smaller) Clubvan panel wagon in America, but withdrew the model from the US market after selling just 50 units.

Should Volkswagen get into the small commercial vehicle market?

Yes, absolutely :);):D:cool:
No, absolutely not
I'm not sure
VOTE

SalsaRed2010

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagon, 2013 Jetta SportWagon, and 2010 Jetta SportWagon
Hope they can get around the chicken tax. Personally, I'd love a real VW van instead of that horrible Routan they thought we would all fall for in America.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Chrysler/Mercedes did well with the Sprinter (and apparently Mercedes continues to do so), so tax be damned, it can be done!

- Tim

CyBear Male

TDI
2013.5 Jetta
wasnt the first vw truck just a rabbit with a truck bed created by vw workers for use at their factory? They could reintroduce a dealer install kit on an existing TDI and avoid tax. The diesel would have enough torque.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I think the SPRINTER runs through the Freightliner plant in OR???

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
The Sprinter doesn't really belong in a comparison here. That's a whole different vehicle. One that doesn't fit in a standard garage, even. This Caddy is like a Transit Connect or NV200 -- it's a small car FWD drivetrain with a box behind the front seats. The Sprinter is a plumber's work truck. The Caddy is for your local caterer or computer repair guy.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
I think it would be cool, offer two or so motor combos, 1.4 TSI (or our new 1.8 TSI) and the 2.0 TDI for whatever your driving needs are. Wonder how the DPF's on the Mercedes Bluetec Sprinters are doing, I'd imagine most are city/town driven.

Zipppy

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
I'd like them to bring their Transporter vans over. Amarok too. They have them in Brazil, why not here?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Safety regulations, certification, etc.

With regards to the Amarok, though......it's a tough market here for that kind of truck. The Honda Ridgeline was a niche vehicle that didn't sell all that well, and a VW would sell fewer than a Honda here.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
The Sprinter doesn't really belong in a comparison here. That's a whole different vehicle. One that doesn't fit in a standard garage, even. This Caddy is like a Transit Connect or NV200 -- it's a small car FWD drivetrain with a box behind the front seats. The Sprinter is a plumber's work truck. The Caddy is for your local caterer or computer repair guy.
Uh, check again . . . the Sprinter was offered with a full interior as a family van as well as bare for commercial users, and there are two heights - only one is stupid tall.

I almost bought one three years ago, but pricing (and demand- IE no discounts to speak of) just couldn't make myself do it. A friend has one as a personal vehicle, though, and I really do like it.

- Tim

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Uh, check again . . . the Sprinter was offered with a full interior as a family van as well as bare for commercial users, and there are two heights - only one is stupid tall.
Uh, check again......the Caddy is not a family van. Nor the Ford or Nissan, which are closer in size.

I am fully aware that the Sprinter was offered with a full interior. (I was half-tempted to buy one as a personal vehicle when they were $30k with the inline-5 diesel.) But with or without the high roof, it's a huge vehicle, bigger than the Chevy/Ford/Dodge full-sized vans.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Wonder how the DPF's on the Mercedes Bluetec Sprinters are doing, I'd imagine most are city/town driven.
In general, they're doing quite well. Sprinters are more expensive to repair than an Econoline, but break less frequently, and offer much more space/comfort for someone who spends all day in their truck

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh, check again......the Caddy is not a family van. Nor the Ford or Nissan, which are closer in size.

I am fully aware that the Sprinter was offered with a full interior. (I was half-tempted to buy one as a personal vehicle when they were $30k with the inline-5 diesel.) But with or without the high roof, it's a huge vehicle, bigger than the Chevy/Ford/Dodge full-sized vans.
Huge? Really? If anything, other than price, my biggest detractor was that it seemed too small to me for what I needed, and I ended up with a 3/4 ton pickup instead. Not everyone needs a clown car . . . . I also laugh almost hyterically at those who regard the NMS as huge - it's midsize at best. . .

- Tim

Last edited:

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
VW was ignoring the commercial van market as early as the mid-70s. Should think the new US Passat plant would allow some scope for CKD assembly of vans and so on.

My neighbor kept a Dodge Sprinter in her driveway for her business, and this is on an older street built up in the 1920s. It wasn't a problem. Had the first stretches over standard for height and length.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

The smaller vans are all available with windows and a back seat. There is even a version of the Caddy that is called "Family".

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
The smaller vans are all available with windows and a back seat. There is even a version of the Caddy that is called "Family".

Those are very popular in Italy as are any vehicle like it. The Fiat Multipla comes to mind. Those little van like vehicles hold people better than the very popular hatchback, yet can park in the tiny spots just as easily. Nonetheless, it doesn't mean VW will consider doing that set up here. Though, the Transit can be had with a back seat so maybe they will.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Actually the transit connect vans all come to the USA with seats and windows, and most are converted at the factory into cargo versions.

-J

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Ford gets around the chicken tax by importing the Transit Connect with windows and rear seats. Then they remove the seats and windows after importation, install a false floor and presto, no mo 25% chicken tax

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They must not all come in with rear windows, though, because that would mean they'd be cutting up the rear body and welding new sides on. They are not removable "blanks" on the cargo versions. I guess you could unbolt the doors with windows and put on ones without, but the first one of these we had in the shop I looked over VERY closely for signs of that and saw none. Because I, too, read the article about how they were dodging the tax and it seemed plausible. Maybe at first they were, now they are doing something different? They are still labeled 'made in Turkey' and carry a Turk VIN. We service quite a few of them.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Look at that rear cargo room! You could go on vacation for a month with all that space.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Voted. Bring an open bed TRUCK TRUCK, tdi motor with the size of a Ranger and the Jetta would be traded in immediately.

curtludwig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Golf
The Amarok is awesome, I saw lots in Argentina. Its bigger than a Ranger, a little smaller than a Dakota I think. Give me one of those with the 2.0 TDI and I'd be happy but it can't cost a billion dollars. The Ridgeline is a car, no real frame, no separate bed, you can't really work it or repair it if you do.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
The Amarok is awesome, I saw lots in Argentina. Its bigger than a Ranger, a little smaller than a Dakota I think. Give me one of those with the 2.0 TDI and I'd be happy but it can't cost a billion dollars. The Ridgeline is a car, no real frame, no separate bed, you can't really work it or repair it if you do.
I played with an Amarok at SEMA last year and it was like king cab Frontier sized. Not TOO big but I would prefer smaller. Of course i'd take it if it was all we got. If it was mid 20's or less for a poverty spec one that would seal the deal for me.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yep and in the link I posted it said it got 600 miles to a 21 gallon tank. 30 to 35 mpg for a truck I could work with would be fine for me.