Check Engine Light and Glow Plug (?) Light appearance in 2002 Jetta

JGJetta

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI wagon
My 2002 TDI Jetta with the 1.9 engine suffers the following ailments. In fact, it has been suffering a lot since I purchased it this summer from a private dealer in RI. Check engine light and coil/glow plug light are on and the scanner revealed this data: Engine code P1246. Haynes
Manual stated needle lift implausible signal/needle lift sensor circuit
range performance. We (my sweet mechanic and I) are looking for voltage reading, if any, at wire plug pigtail. What is the resistance/ohms value or ranges at the sensor? All brake lights are working fine. When needle lift sensor is unplugged at number 3 injector there is sound/shake in engine. When plugged back in, engine smoothes out. Wire from needle lift sensor to computer/ECU appears to be fine. Have not unplugged pin connector at computer/ECU yet which is under windshield washer cowl. Recently cleaned the injectors with a fuel additive which made the engine light disappear. Any thoughts about these symptoms and possible cures? :rolleyes: Thank you for reading and offering your diagnoses.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
JGJetta said:
My 2002 TDI Jetta with the 1.9 engine suffers the following ailments. In fact, it has been suffering a lot since I purchased it this summer from a private dealer in RI. Check engine light and coil/glow plug light are on and the scanner revealed this data: Engine code P1246. Haynes
Manual stated needle lift implausible signal/needle lift sensor circuit
range performance. We (my sweet mechanic and I) are looking for voltage reading, if any, at wire plug pigtail. What is the resistance/ohms value or ranges at the sensor? All brake lights are working fine. When needle lift sensor is unplugged at number 3 injector there is sound/shake in engine. When plugged back in, engine smoothes out. Wire from needle lift sensor to computer/ECU appears to be fine. Have not unplugged pin connector at computer/ECU yet which is under windshield washer cowl. Recently cleaned the injectors with a fuel additive which made the engine light disappear. Any thoughts about these symptoms and possible cures? :rolleyes: Thank you for reading and offering your diagnoses.
GO to the How To's section and read the Glow Plugs 101 V.2 Harness should be 12 Volts and the Glows plugs should be .5-1.5 OHms.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Check for air in the fuel system.

80-120 Ohms across sensor.

Terminal 1 on plug to 109 on ECM
Terminal 2 on plug to 101 on ECM

Check that there is no leakage to B+, GND or each other.

This is a simple and reliable sender. The fault condition was probably caused by a fuel supply problem, or a poor connection. If the code doesn't come back, don't worry about it.

eheynen

TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
Check engine light

New to VW's, diesels, and this forum. Recently bought a 2002 TDI Jetta 295 k and the people we bought it from(2nd owner since new) serviced it regularly. The check engine light was on for a while, and they took it to the dealer spent $ 1000.00 dollars, and they redid the whole EGR system.
Vehicle has lots of power and sounded great, then 70km later check engine light back on..Will get the codes read again and see, but should I be worried.. Just starting to read the forum and wanted to know the most common problems with the TDI's on check engine light... Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Service manuals. Thanks

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Since you already started a separate thread, you may want to delete this post.