Torque Wobble

stevekarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I'm a new guy here so if I'm barking up the wrong tree please slap me around and let me know where I've gone wrong.

I have a 2001 Jetta with 130K Mi on it. When in 5th gear cruising about 80 mph and I apply throttle to accelerate, I feel a wobble in the front end. If I let off the gas and coast or ease off the throttle the wobble goes away.
Do you all have any helpful ideas where I should start looking into fixing this issue?
There is no uneven wear on the tires so I don't think it's a balance issue. The car seems to track pretty well, ie letting go of the steering wheel it stay's straight.
I'm thinking that maybe the CV Joint's might be worn just a little and when the torque is applied they get out of balance just a little bit and I'm feeling it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Time to lift the car in the front and start feeling for loose items. Grab the tire/wheel @ the top/btm, push in/out (alternatively top/in, btm/out, then visa-versa) and feel for play. Do the same at the front/rear of the tire. Also rotate R/L (back and forth, in gear and out) and listen for clanks and/or feel for excessive play. From your description, it doesn't sound like a CV joint. They usually click and make noise on turning (especially full turns). Doesn't mean they can't be bad but... Look for loose/bent wheels, snapped lug bolts or anything else that looks awry while you're at it. Check out your steering rack also, they can wear and develop excessive play. Can't tell you exactly what it is but... it's there and you need to start looking somewhere. Good luck.

mafrif

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 6MT
I'm assuming when you say wobble you mean your steering wheel is going side to side?

Mine was doing the exact same thing. My front tires were wearing pretty even. Had a rear tire that was wearing a little funny. I rotated tires before getting two new ones on the front and it solved the problem.

I would rotate tires first, if that doesn't help then go deeper.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
My gut suspicion is on the C/V joint(s), most likely the outer(s).

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Your right inner CV joint's grease has hardened.

Remove the right axle, take the inner joint off, clean and regrease with proper grease, replace the boot if it looks to need it, reassemble, your vibration will be gone.

I fix these all the time. If it is not too bad yet I use a special tool to inject fresh grease into the joint without taking it apart.

It is the right inner because that is the one that gets cooked by the hot ehaust. There is a heat shield there but that does not protect it entirely forever.

This is very common.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Or, if the joint does have problems, you can swap it with the other side. The CV boots are different, but the actual joint inside is the same. Cleaning and regreasing, of course, goes with the territory.

stevekarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta

Remove the right axle, take the inner joint off, clean and regrease with proper grease, replace the boot if it looks to need it, reassemble, your vibration will be gone.

I fix these all the time. If it is not too bad yet I use a special tool to inject fresh grease into the joint without taking it apart.

It is the right inner because that is the one that gets cooked by the hot ehaust. There is a heat shield there but that does not protect it entirely forever.

This is very common.
The fact that you broke it down to the exact point of interest is VERY helpful so that I'm not running around under the carriage of the car. Thank you very much.

BOHICA- I'm guessing that you aren't familiar with what it means.
Bend Over Here It Comes Again.
My views aren't the same as your's but that isn't why we are here.

stevekarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Nope

I was not aware of the rule. It will be removed promptly. NOONE has said anything to me before. I'm not here to make others mad. I've enjoyed my time on this forum and hope to continue it.

I find it funny that you will report it oilhammer, but not mention it to me either via a PM or putting it out on a thread I've started or posted in so that I'm aware of the rule I've broken. Please be upfront with me and save the head ache of making a Moderator go through the head ache of alerting me.

Lug_Nut- Thanks for pointing it out, as you can see the change has been made.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I had hoped that you'd change it.

Ooops!:eek:
Can I write "hope" and "change" in one sentence without being reported for political shilling?;)

oilhammer

TDI
The reporting was cordial, no big deal. The mods here are great guys, sorry if I offended you, that was not my intent. More to keep any friction from occurring in the first place.

Welcome to the club! :)

Alcancia

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2005 Passat wagon
I just had to change the transmission in my car and I think some of the grease from the inner CV joint stayed with the old transmission. I got as much as I could, but am sure it could use a good cleaning and topping off. So Oilhammer, What special tool do you use to top it off without tearing the joint apart? Seeming as any mention of lubricant or fluid always incites a lengthy discussion of what / what not to use, what is the "proper grease" to put in there?

stevekarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Correct

Thanks for the great tip. It seemed like to much hassel to break down the inner CV joint and clean it so I just replaced the whole axle. I took the car for a spin down the road and the wobble seems to be gone. I won't know for sure until I can get on the highway and can run 80mph for a distance to check it out.

If you know anyone that wants the right axle that'll need rebuilt let me know.

This is very common.

oilhammer

TDI
Thanks for the great tip. It seemed like to much hassel to break down the inner CV joint and clean it so I just replaced the whole axle. I took the car for a spin down the road and the wobble seems to be gone. I won't know for sure until I can get on the highway and can run 80mph for a distance to check it out.

Oh no.... :rolleyes:

Chinesium strikes again! See you in 6 months.... :cool:

stevekarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Replaced

OilHammer,

I'm guessing that you are saying that I should have rebuilt the one from the car because the after market parts won't last? I wasn't able to pick up a rebuild kit, and I didn't really have time to be cleaning the joint up. Perhaps I'll get the rebuild kit gathered up and rebuild the joint as I have time.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Yes, the aftermarket axles suffer from quality issues. Rarely do they last more than just a few months and you have to re-visit the problem.

oilhammer

TDI
And in some cases, the Chinese get revenge on your car by having a catastrophic failure that I have seen all too many times ruin the carrier bearings in the differential. :eek:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
You can send it to Oilhammer and I will pay him and you. Then I will replace mine and send the one in my car to Oilhammer and then he can send it to you when yours fails.

stevekarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks

I've replaced the Passenger side axle and the problem is not as bad as it was so once the money is available I'll replace or rebuild the drivers side also. I'll keep you've, who have helped out, updated as to anything I find. If you haven't chimed in and you've got an idea please let me have it. Most of my daily drive is on the interstate traveling with traffic at 75-80mph and the wobble gets pretty annoying.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
http://www.dbcperformance.com/321498103CMY_p/321498103cmy.htm

Inner CV joint. This one is from Meyle, generally pretty good german company unless someone knows better. Best price I've seen. You could use this same kit on the driver's side inner if you can save the old boot. The CV joints are the same, but the boots are different.

sle91h

TDI
Jetta 2001, Silver
I've had a similar problem for almost 2 years now...I've tried different tires, balancing, bearings, ball joints, bushings, etc... I've even stymied VW mechanics with the mysterious wobble..only there in 2nd 3rd and 4th but at 5th on the Highway nothing...until recently. So I finally broke down tonight and removed both drive shafts. Then removed both inner CV's...well wouldn't you know it...3 deep wear spots on the right inner race and 5 wear spots on the left. I'll be swapping them tomorrow and I got a few other things to do like brakes etc...then let's see if that finally gets rid of my wobble...I'll keep you posted.

This link was very useful: http://volksweb.relitech.com/cvjoints.htm

Keebler145

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKIV 2000, 2003, and MKV 2006 PD DSG

This is very common.
yep I took the heat shield off my car cause it was wobbling bouncing off the half shaft. too bad it cooked the boot like 6 months later. I caught it though replaced the boot and repacked with grease. Car still wobbles a little though cause the bearings have worn funny. I'll have to get around to replacing it sooner than later :rolleyes:

stevekarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Tires?

Well I had the car in the garage for a little cleaning and new wipers before all the nasty weather hits. I noticed there was something wrong with the front passenger side tire. It appeared the someone(previous owner) had run the tires low. There was still tread in the middle but the edges were worn bad, both inside and outside. Steel belts were even coming through on the tire. Luckily I was able to take the tires off and have them replaced. Now the car runs smooth at 80 even under torque. I don't know if the new tires are just hiding the vibration or if the tires were at fault. I just can't get my head to think that the tires would cause vibration only while applying torque to them. But for now the car is smooth and a real joy to drive. Hope that you others are able to make the repairs to get your cars smooth also.

sle91h

TDI
Jetta 2001, Silver
At least you're getting some luck...I finally got the shafts/CV's re-assembled and almost ready to install - then had to replace the front brakes whereupon I found the driver side bearing was toast....and the brake fluid needs to be changed....I'll be lucky to get it on the road this weekend. Still working on it..... :)

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
If it is not too bad yet I use a special tool to inject fresh grease into the joint without taking it apart.
Did this yesterday. Since the wobble had only started a short time ago, I was hoping I could get away with adding new grease.
My boot was still in great shape. So after I injected the new grease, I massaged it around.

Wobble is completely gone.

Will likely disassemble the joints next spring/summer and do a full clean/regrease.