I don't love the DSG

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I bought the DSG because my wife siad her knees won't stand up to the shifting anymore. For the most part, I am happy with the performance and shifting characteristics. My only mild complaint is that it seems to shift very quickly and both first and second are extremely low geared. I am usually in 6th by 45 mph. About the point that I used to put my bug into 5th.

Seems if they streached the gearing out a little more and delayed 6th gear until about 55, then milage would go up. But then I am just sitting in the drivers seat and guessing at how these things really work.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Probably Not

kjclow said:
I bought the DSG because my wife said her knees won't stand up to the shifting anymore.
For the most part, I am happy with the performance and shifting characteristics.
My only mild complaint is that it seems to shift very quickly and both first and second are extremely low geared.
I am usually in 6th by 45 mph. About the point that I used to put my bug into 5th.

Seems if they stretched the gearing out a little more and delayed 6th gear until about 55, then mileage would go up. But then I am just sitting in the drivers seat and guessing at how these things really work.
:)

If VW were to do as you have suggested with the present gearing, you would not be in sixth
gear until 1772 rpms which means you'd be going too high in fifth gear prior to the upshift.
If you are suggesting that the gear ratios in fifth and sixth gears should be raised, I am all
for that, as there is not reason that the fifth and sixth gear ratios need to be so low.
The torque is there, and there is no reason for the DSGs to be revving
270 revs more per mile that the manual transmissions cars do. :(

What can't the DSG transmissions have the exact same ratios as the manual transmissions? :confused:
Why do the DSG transmissions have to be so much lower geared? :eek:

Anyone know the answer. :confused:

:D

D

Sankar

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI / DSG
I love my DSG and am on the same side as those who make the point that like a manual, one needs to learn how to drive it. I've posted on this before here : http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2898018#post2898018

At the risk of taking flak for quoting myself from that post ...

Over the past 30 years of owning cars, I have had manuals and automatics. The 09 JSW TDI has been my first DSG. I've put over 20k miles on it in mixed driving and quite frankly am glad I chose the DSG over the 6M (I test drove both). To me it provides the comfort of an automated shift system with the flexibility of switching into "manual" control - I agree that one could argue that the Tiptronic is not like a real manual, but I like it more actually.

I think of the DSG as a manual tranny mated with a complex algorithm to do the shifting. Since the shift pattern etc. is controlled by software, it cannot be expected to shift in exactly the same way that I (or for that matter any other driver) would. However, that by itself does not make it (IMO) any "better" or "worse" - just "different".

When I first got the car, I tended to drive it like any other automatic transmission but over time I've "learnt" how the transmission shifts/reacts in response to my foot pressure on the throttle, car speed, load, etc. I have instinctively adapted my style to the heuristics built into the software and find that I have all the necessary control required to shift as I want - I don't even think about it now. I just reach over with my hand to switch between D, S and +/-, and my foot on the throttle works in tandem. The absence of a clutch pedal just means that I do not need to use my left leg. When I first drove the DSG, I could never have guessed that I would need to adapt my driving ... but now it feels natural to me ... and it all happened within the first couple of thousand miles or so without my having to consciously think about it - as the operator of a complex piece of machinery, I have just adapted my style over time.

The DSG is a complex piece of machinery and in my opinion to get maximum benefit/fun out of it, you need to learn how to work it. This explains why I thought it was just a ho-hum thing at the start (but I still chose it for other reasons) and possibly why some who drive it for the first time are not impressed. For one it cannot be compared to a standard "automatic" since it is intrinsically has manual gears which feel quite different from a fluid coupled automatic - that may put off those expecting the "smooth" (and for many of us, "lifeless") feel that the standard automatic offers. Second it has its own idiosyncrasies in its shift pattern and this can be irritating to those used to full control on the shift pattern. Drive it like you would an automatic (i.e. without "thinking") and at times you may feel like you are sitting in a manual transmission car driven by someone who does not know how to shift well - it can be made to shift in a "jerky" manner.
However, spend some effort learning how it reacts and adapting yourself to it and it can offer (IMO) the best of both worlds - the comfort of an automatic and the fun/control of a manual. At least it does for me.

The cost issue is a very different matter and opinions can be even more subjective. For me it was obviously worth it to get the DSG inspite of the cost differentials I had projected. For some it may not.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well Said

Sankar said:
I love my DSG and am on the same side as those who make the point that like a manual,
one needs to learn how to drive it. I've posted on this before here : http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2898018#post2898018

At the risk of taking flak for quoting myself from that post ...

I agree completely. I feel sorry for those who do not understand what is happening and what needs
to be done to make the DSG as installed in the TDI an excellent and rewarding driving experience.

It did take me a short while, but after two months and 5K miles, I too have it down pat.

IMHO, those who are not happy somehow can not master the proper
technique
for driving the DSG and therefore are not pleased with it.
As you have said, I no longer think about it, and I find that I am, without thinking about it,
controlling it at all times by either the Tiptronic or using 'D' and varying the pressure
with my foot and controlling upshift in that manner.

Thanks for explaining it so well to those who perhaps can take your proceedures
and learn how to properly enjoy this excellent transmission. :p

D

amycyclenut

TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG
I love it, as others have said, you have to remember it's actually a manual transmission and YOU have to learn to drive IT. After you figure that out, it's fun! And I love the paddle shifters! I would like if the gearing ratio was a little higher, as mentioned previously.

TuningIn

TDI
Sold the 2010 JSW
Derrel H Green said:

I agree completely. I feel sorry for those who do not understand what is happening and what needs
to be done to make the DSG as installed in the TDI an excellent and rewarding driving experience.

It did take me a short while, but after two months and 5K miles, I too have it down pat.

IMHO, those who are not happy somehow can not master the proper
technique
for driving the DSG and therefore are not pleased with it.
As you have said, I no longer think about it, and I find that I am, without thinking about it,
controlling it at all times by either the Tiptronic or using 'D' and varying the pressure
with my foot and controlling upshift in that manner.

Thanks for explaining it so well to those who perhaps can take your proceedures
and learn how to properly enjoy this excellent transmission. :p

D
I love the DSG. I've driven manuals for many, many years, until my last two daily drivers, which were auto (tiptronic). The DSG really is the best of both worlds for me. It's almost as if it reads my mind, because when it downshifts, upshifts, or disengages the clutch (goes into neutral approaching a stop) is what I would have done in a stick shift. I like what it does (and I learned how to optimize my driving from Skip Barber). If you treat your gas pedal the way you would driving a manual, it does act very logically and feels predictable.

I think that people who want it to drive like an auto may not like it, because it does act like a manual rather than an automatic.

I absolutely love the transmission and will never go back to a regular automatic.

maryMKVI

TDI
2010 Tornado Red VW Golf MKVI- "Tucker"
I love my DSG.

Everyone has a different preference then the next.
Just like everyone has an opinion about the next opinion.
Just because someone might hate something and think it's junk, the next person will think it's the next best thing.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
kjclow said:
I bought the DSG because my wife siad her knees won't stand up to the shifting anymore.....
I hear that alot from women. My wife tried the same crap on me (sorry dear, my car and my car has the manual tranny). I recognize that people that start from the female perspective want to believe that the DSG is really a high tech manual transmission with complex algorithyms blah, blah blah and not an automatic transmission. Those people that want someone or something else to shift for them do have an important position in a car ---- it's called the passenger seat. Sorry ma'am scoot over, Drivers Wanted ;) .

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
martytdi said:
Have you tried the sport mode? This shifts at higher RPMs and does not downshift while coasting to stop.
Mine shifts down by itself as you slow down in Sport and Tip.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
thebigarniedog said:
I recognize that people that start from the female perspective want to believe that the DSG is really a high tech manual transmission with complex algorithyms blah, blah blah and not an automatic transmission. Those people that want someone or something else to shift for them do have an important position in a car ---- it's called the passenger seat. Sorry ma'am scoot over, Drivers Wanted ;) .
Captain Meathead to the rescue... are you still on that Jersey Shore reality show? ;) (the "i'm only half-kidding" emoticon)

TuningIn

TDI
Sold the 2010 JSW
thebigarniedog said:
I hear that alot from women. My wife tried the same crap on me (sorry dear, my car and my car has the manual tranny). I recognize that people that start from the female perspective want to believe that the DSG is really a high tech manual transmission with complex algorithyms blah, blah blah and not an automatic transmission. Those people that want someone or something else to shift for them do have an important position in a car ---- it's called the passenger seat. Sorry ma'am scoot over, Drivers Wanted ;) .
You chose the wrong car for someone who cares about how macho they are perceived. As if driving a manual in a Jetta makes you any more macho. It's a Jetta, an econo-car; no one besides the owner cares if it's an automatic or manual.

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I think the notion is particularly goofy in that in Europe 95% of passenger cars have stick shifts. I think if one came to the conclusion that men were 95% of the drivers, one would be pretty close to half WRONG.

The reverse is true here, since we have 80% of passenger cars being "automatic".

Last edited:

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
The best automatic transmission that I have experienced is the one I have in my 1993 Ford Aerostar that now has over 220,000 miles trouble free. The transmission function same as it did when the vehicle was new. Other than changing fluid and filter at 40k miles interval (cost about $6 for filter and about $10 from fluid from Walmart), no work has been done and there is no leak or any other problem.

VW automatic transmission, namely 01M, had some complaints from some members. However, I know atleast two individuals whose experiences with Japaines cars automatic transmissions, namely Honda and Toyota, are equally bad. One had to overhaul his Honda with only 86k miles at a cost of $2,400 and Toyota Privia at 80k miles. So it may not be fair to say that all VW automatic transmission are no good. My Jetta 2002 TDI has now over 93k without transmission problem. In case you need to replace the transmission, the cost at the VW dealers runs $3,850 plus $750 for installition. You may be able to do the same job for $2,400 at a transmission shop in Phoenix.

Regarding DSG, I do not have much experience other than driving stick on the earlier VW diesels (1978, 1979, 1985). They were great. Maybe we need to train first in learning how to use DSG.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
TuningIn said:
You chose the wrong car for someone who cares about how macho they are perceived. As if driving a manual in a Jetta makes you any more macho. It's a Jetta, an econo-car; no one besides the owner cares if it's an automatic or manual.
I stated none of the above that you attributed to me. Check out the name of the thread :rolleyes: . I recognize from your signature that you have a DSG. If that works for you, great. It's your car. My statement is a confirmation of a prior posting that women generally prefer the DSG. Sorry if you disagree .......

St Hubbins said:
I am a noob to this forum and thought I would say ad hominem noobish crap, because somehow I think what you said applies to me.
Sigh ..... please be mindful of your postings. It isn't always about you. kthnxbai.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
so i call out "the big arniedog" for what remains a really lame post, and you "quote" some bs i obviously never said and make yourself look even more of a chump?!

that hardly seems in the spirit of what's supposed to be a friendly, helpful forum, and i doubt the moderators appreciate blatant smear attempts, however ridiculous and childish they may be.

the fact that two others also called you out (#72,73) should've given you a little pause, tough guy!

brons2

Veteran Member
TDI
none
TuningIn said:
I care because I want to ensure the future availability of manuals, it seems that their number are becoming fewer and fewer.

Besides, who said that it was against the rules to make an econobox that was fun to drive? That is exactly what we need to lure people out of their trucks and SUV's that never carry a load or drive offroad.

TuningIn

TDI
Sold the 2010 JSW
brons2 said:
I care because I want to ensure the future availability of manuals, it seems that their number are becoming fewer and fewer.

Besides, who said that it was against the rules to make an econobox that was fun to drive? That is exactly what we need to lure people out of their trucks and SUV's that never carry a load or drive offroad.
It's true the manuals are getting fewer and fewer in the lower end of the market. VAG seems to appreciate that manuals are still desired in performance vehicles. Manuals are still the overwhelming preference in performance vehicles out there. The I got the S5 in manual, which I would not want in any other way. As for the JSW daily driver, for me there wasn't anything thrilling about the manual over the DSG. In fact, I find the DSG a fun and attractive transmission because of its own merits.

Econoboxes should be fun, as is the JSW. VW's are fun in their own way and far better than any other non premium brands out there. It's just that when purchasing a econobox, you might as well buy what you like, because no one is going to care or be impressed one way or another about what options you choose.

Don't get me started about SUV's, I've been known to rant about the stupidity of those vehicles and their owners endlessly.

Last edited:

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
St.Hubbins said:
...i doubt the moderators appreciate blatant smear attempts, however ridiculous and childish they may be...
If you notice, under the member name you get a "newbie", "member", or "veteran member", or "vendor". Moderators get to choose their status... so if you see somebody with a status like "Master of the Obvious", then you're talking to a moderator. Just thought you should know... ;)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
manual_tranny said:
If you notice, under the member name you get a "newbie", "member", or "veteran member", or "vendor". Moderators get to choose their status... so if you see somebody with a status like "Master of the Obvious", then you're talking to a moderator. Just thought you should know... ;)
Thebigarniedog is not a mod. He asked for his title to be changed.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
i don't really care whether he just turned 16 or if he founded TDIclub - if you talk like a punk, then you can expect to be called a punk...

again, he made a stupid comment, multiple people called him on it, and it appears he's lashed out at the one who hurt his pride the most... i'm ready to move on as long as the kid stops writing nonsense and attributing it to me.

fair enough "big dog"?

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
I have no big issues with my DSG except that I wish it would shift up about one or two hundred rpm faster. I usually drive with the Tiptronic in the last three top gears. One way I like to describe it as "a manual transmission that will shift on its own if you forget".

There are quite a few posts that claim that you have to shift these cars at no less that 2000 or 2500 rpm and 3000 is even better. Anything less is lugging it. That might be true with the PD models but the CR variants can meter the fuel under a higher pressure and over a longer period of time in the combustion stroke. As a result, the cars run very well between 1500 and 2000 rpm.

I see no signs that these transmissions have some adaptive intelligence and will adjust to your driving style. I have never seen VW advertise this as a feature, and I am sure they would if this was true. It is really the reverse. There are a few adaptations that the driver should adopt if all they are used to are slush transmissions. In driving a dsg, experience with a manual helps. Like a manual, you have to apply power carefully when starting off - no stomping on the accelerator as one needs to do with underpowered gasser. The tdi, with its torque and turbo, responds very quickly. If I were to warn a new driver of anything, it would be that.

Maristic

TDI
2010 Golf
FWIW, I (mostly) love driving a car with a DSG transmission. Looking at this thread, some people are commenting on DSG transmissions in particular, and some about automatics in general. I have comments to make about both aspects.

There will always be some people who see driving an automatic as giving up something. But the truth is, we haven't had complete manual control of cars for a long time, so if that's what you want (why?), you're already out of luck. The engine has an EMU means you don't have to worry about a choke setting for a cold engine, and means that it isn't just your foot on the throttle that governs what the engine does; you have power steering providing (variable) assistance to your steering (which is itself nonlinear); ABS does cadence braking for you, and ESP controls the car's traction and stability in difficult situations; and, even on the most basic car you have turn signals that click off by themselves. An automatic transmission is just the continuation of these ideas; in most normal driving situations, the car can pick the right gear at the right moment all by itself. It knows far more precisely than you do where the optimal shift points are for power or fuel economy. And, the fact that the computers for the engine and transmission can talk to each other also allows for rev matching and other tricks that result in smoother gear changes.

Some people also think that if you drive a manual, that makes you focus more on what the car is doing, but I think that's wishful thinking. Regardless of transmission, a good driver knows how their car behaves, and understands both what the car wants from them and how to get the car to do what they want. And at the other end of the spectrum, a driver can be oblivious to their car, whether it's an automatic or a manual.

Almost all automatics, whether they are traditional (planetary gear) or DSGs do give you ways to control what the transmission does. They almost all let you force a downshift using the shifter, will downshift on a kickdown, and upshift if you left up on the gas pedal for a moment.

Myself, I learned to drive on a manual, drove a conventional automatic for the last eight years, and then this year I got a Golf TDI with a DSG transmission.

In general, I agree with people who say that the DSG combines some of the feel of an automatic with some of the feel of a manual. There is software trying to make choices about how to control the transmission, such as how much to engage the clutch(es) and when to change gears, etc.

Compared to a conventional automatic, the DSG changes gears mostly sequentially. If you're in 6th gear, you can't change down directly to 4th gear. The transmission can change from 6th to 3rd, but it is likely to have been expecting to change down to 5th and so setting up for a change to third isn't something it can do on a dime. The +/- controls on the paddle shifters or shifter lever also only let you go up or down one gear at a time, so it's not an option to change more than one gear at once. Manuals obviously don't have this issue, you can change into any gear you like, but the same is true for planetary gear automatics; if the transmission wants to shift from 6th to 4th, in principle it can.

Conventional automatics also have a torque converter. The torque converter allows hill-holding, slow forward creep at idle, and allows the car to have a lot of torque when pulling away from a dead stop by letting the engine roar into its power band immediately. The DSG has to manage creep by playing the clutch, is more likely to roll back on a gentle hill, and has to rely on the torque of the engine alone for pulling away from a dead stop. Some people say that torque converters lose power, but they all have lock-up clutches these days, some of which are pretty sophisticated.

But the DSG transmission does mostly work really well. Compared to the conventional automatic I used to drive, there was a learning curve though. Early on, the car often launched like a rocket when I wasn't really desiring that, because I was used to being heavy on the pedal. But that issue quickly vanished, so either I learned the car or the car learned about me (or both).

Mostly the DSG does a really good job of lining up the next gear and then seamlessly and smoothly chaining into that gear, bit that does mean that on the occasions where it isn't as fast or smooth you do notice. One situation I've noticed where my DSG struggles a little is in some cornering situations; I come into a sharp corner, brake, and then want to power out of it, it sometimes feels a bit wallowy and misses its mark, finally changing down too late to really be useful to me. I think what happens is that it wastes about a second dithering before it finds the right gear, but in that situation the second it takes matters. One option is not to power out of corners so hard; that way it won't need to change down. But the other way to deal with it is a general tip for the DSG:

Tip: If you know you'll want the transmission to change down but you don't want to assume full manual control, drop it into sport mode a little before the change. Thus, as you approach a sharp bend, change into S, power out of the bend, change back to D. You can flip between sport-mode and drive as often as you like; to me, S means “I'm going to need some serious power in just a moment or two”.

My other case for taking control is mostly a fuel economy thing; I'll change up to 6th at 30 to 35mph. So long as you're not going uphill, it won't lug the engine, and the transmission itself will decide to make the change eventually, but I'm just hurrying it along a bit.

Sometimes I use the paddle shifters to change down for engine braking, but not nearly so much as I did with my conventional automatic. The software for the DSG is smart enough to pay attention to your braking and engine brake automatically.

Tip: If you do use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel, you may want to give full control back to the transmission. One way to do that is by holding + for a couple of seconds, but that's not very useful if you just used - to change down for engine braking. For that, I use what I call “the shifter wiggle”, shifting it right into tiptronic mode (as if I was going to use its +/- controls rather than the ones on the steering wheel) and then immediately back left into regular D.

(Random DSG oddity I've noticed: Sometimes when I'm combining a sharp turn and accelerating from (near) zero, it only partially engages the clutch. The driving is smooth and the power feels right for the accelerator position, but the revs are totally out of whack from what I'd have expected—much higher. First time it ever did that it freaked me out a bit, but I recognize it as a thing it does. I'm sure it has its reasons.)

But mostly it's smooth, powerful, smart, and does the right thing, and I like it.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
My biggest gripe with the DSG is that IMO, it SHOULD NEVER downshift from 2nd to 1st at speed over 5mph.

Last edited:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Changing Down Two Gears at a Time.

Maristic said:
Compared to a conventional automatic, the DSG changes gears mostly sequentially. If you're in
6th gear, you can't change down directly to 4th gear. The transmission can change from 6th to 3rd, but it is likely to have been expecting to change down to 5th and so setting up for a change to third isn't something it can do on a dime. The +/- controls on the paddle shifters or shifter lever also only let you go up or down one gear at a time, so it's not an option to change more than one gear at once.
But mostly it's smooth, powerful, smart, and does the right thing, and I like it.

When you want your DSG to change down more than one gear at a time, say from sixth to
fourth, have you tried hitting your pedals or the shift lever when in Tiptronic rapidly twice? :confused:

When I want to go from sixth to fourth and then perhaps a little later to third, I will very quickly
activate the switch in the Tiptonic position hitting the - switch twice rapidly, and I am now in
fourth. I know that the transmission was in fifth for a nano-second, but I 'commanded'
it to go from fifth to fourth before I was even aware that it was in fact in or using fifth.
A second or two later, I will bump it again and now I am in third.
I do this when traffic is slowing rapidly and I am trying to be gentle on my brakes. ;)

Try this and see what you think. :cool:

D

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Question

Elfnmagik said:
My biggest gripe with the DSG is that IMO, it SHOULD NEVER downshift
from 2nd to 1st at speed over 5mph.

I am wondering if there is a slight difference in your DSG progamming and mine. I have a '10.

If I make what we here in California call a 'rolling' second gear stop, I am down to less than five
mph, and if I gently apply throttle, I will still be in second speed. It will stay in second gear.
This is when in straight 'D.' However, if I have the lever in the Tiptonic position and do the same
thing, the transmission will downshift into first gear much earlier than it does when in straight 'D.'

Could this be what you are referring to? :confused:

D

amycyclenut

TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG
Also note, that when you are in "auto" mode (i.e. D or S), you can at anytime change gears with the paddle shifters and the car will temporarily go into manual mode. If you don't make another change in X amount of time, it will automatically switch back to "auto" mode.

I use this method all the time. A good example of using this is the corning situation Maristic mentions.... when I'm in the corner and know I will need power now, I hit the downshift paddle and I've got power. Roll out of it and the car will take back over.

Also works on the highway.... need a little quick power, hit the paddle shifter, get what you need and the car will take back over.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
QUOTE:

..."Some people also think that if you drive a manual, that makes you focus more on what the car is doing, but I think that's wishful thinking. "...

I would SWAG that "manual transmission " drivers/cars probably get in less traffic accidents (per capita). However the issue is really unknown, as the NHTSA, etc. has not done the analysis due solely the variable, automatic vs manual. http://www.nhtsa.gov/ Now this is against a back drop of 80% automatic transmission passenger vehicle fleet and by default 20% manual transmission. So right away there the majority of the accidents by "definition" happen with automatics.

I do know that I personally pay more attention (albeit if nominally) when I am driving a stick shift.

Last edited:

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Funny, my wife complains about my car saying "It drives like a manual"

I like to remind her.. yup.. thats the point. :p Now if I can just get that POS between the gerbils and the gears to work right...

And someone early on in this post needs to fact check their DSG fluid prices... Just a bit overstated...

I like the DSG and would buy another, providing it's not made by VW. :rolleyes:

Maristic

TDI
2010 Golf
ruking said:
I would SWAG that "manual transmission " drivers/cars probably get in less traffic accidents (per capita). However the issue is really unknown, as the NHTSA, etc. has not done the analysis due solely the variable, automatic vs manual. http://www.nhtsa.gov/ Now this is against a back drop of 80% automatic transmission passenger vehicle fleet and by default 20% manual transmission. So right away there the majority of the accidents by "definition" happen with automatics.
Even if there were NHTSA stats on accidents that showed people with automatics having more accidents, you wouldn't be able to conclude anything from that statistic alone. Correlation does not imply causation.

Your own subjective impression of how much attention you're paying doesn't really matter, because its often wrong. By definition, everything that you don't notice is stuff you're unaware of and so you don't know what you're missing. You only have to talk to people who tell you that a lot of drivers are idiots with their cell phones but they can do it without getting distracted because they're a good driver and they've never had a problem. They “know” they are a good drivers.
I do know that I personally pay more attention (albeit if nominally) when I am driving a stick shift.
But the question is, what are you paying more attention to? Does operating the gears manually make you more likely to notice the kid at the side of the street partially hidden by parked cars who has just dropped a ball you can't yet see and may be about to follow it into the street?