2006 Golf running fine

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Howdy -

Just in case anybody gets depressed at the hundreds of posts daily of problems, issues, diagnostic help requests et al., let me reassure all y'all that my 2006 Golf GLS TDI is running beautifully.

Just over 3 months and 7800 miles after purchasing it, everything works great. The car drives wonderfully, gets excellent fuel economy and is an absolute joy to drive. In fact, I got a speeding ticket just over a week ago due partially to the smooth, quiet ride and partially to bored suburban cops with radar guns and ticket quotas. An impromptu road trip took me over Monteagle TN on I-24 between Nashvegas and Chattown. With the cruise set at 80, it just went straight up that several mile 6% grade and didn't flinch, netting me 42 mpg for the entire trip. In fact, I found I was easily able to zoom up that mountain, passing every semi, SUV, a few Porsches, a handful of Corvettes and every single diesel pump with ease.

I just filled up last night with a fine low blend of very good local biodiesel, which makes the car even quieter and smoother. A hot spell over Memorial Day weekend led to heavy A/C use and dropped me down from the mid-40s to 41.5 mpg. It's funny when a "disappointing" tank gets me almost twice the fuel economy than my old car. The A/C is also absolutely ice cold and I often have to set it for fresh air intake to keep from freezing out passengers.

Last night, my wife and I picked up a floor bike rack off a guy on craigslist and a quick flip & fold let it fit in the back with tons of room to spare. I could've never fit it in my old midsize sedan.

Other than picking up a large chunk of metal in a rear tire (plugged at the local garage for $15) and a two-day door switch wonikness (went away on its own), this Golf has been completely trouble-free.

Nice.

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
Nice to hear a good story. :) I've also got an 06 TDI Golf. I've only had it for a week. No problems yet. :) I may need to get the tires aligned because the steering feels a bit off. (It was lightly used before I bought it.) The steering feels tighter than I'm used to. Not tighter in a good way, kind of "rubbery" or something. I don't know...

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
go scurvy!

another 06 golf tdi (auto tranny) here... 11000 miles now.. running PERFECT! :) lifetime avg is right around 41, but possibly 42-43 (missed recording a tank i *think*). one minor issue was driver's side door striker plate came loose, but i tightened that up. the hazard switch sticks, but when i take it apart to put in the 3-blink relay i'll probably fix it.

my gf almost exclusively drives it, but it drives real nice. it will be getting RC2 sometime in the next month or so.. :)

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
burpod said:
my gf almost exclusively drives it, but it drives real nice.
You must be quite smitten to be giving up the tdi?? Or did she offer something in trade?:D

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
nah. i got an 05 jetta w/RC2 :) and a lot more mods :D
of course, now i'm kinda having to double-up on the mods, since whatever i do to my jetta i *need* to do to the golf! (except the tranny-dependent stuff) :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You'll also notice a drop in mileage with Bio. But it's reassuring to see a positive post. My '02 has 123K on it and I have the original: MAF, brakes, N75, turbo. It consumes no oil between 10K changes. It reliably gives 45-50 MPG, and I don't drive for mileage. All interior bits still look great. I've replaced many parts, but it's in service of modding, not breakdown.

My experience tells me that VW still makes great cars.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
IndigoBlueWagon said:
You'll also notice a drop in mileage with Bio.
I'm using half B11, half D2 (or just straight B11, but don't tell VWoA or those clubbers what shall remain nameless) and haven't noticed any significant drop in fuel economy. Lifetime average is holding right around 43 mpg. Just rolled over to 8000 miles yesterday. I've seen as high as 46 mpg and as low as 38 mpg, both of which were on D2.

Glad to hear yr 02 is rockin like Dokken, IBW.

It's all sunshine and cold beer in this thread.

scurvy

trapperkeeper

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4, Jetta MK5
Another good 06 Golf story

Just passed 10K on my 2006 Golf GLS TDI and no problems except for the hood latch not beeping when shutting - I just removed that sensor and taped it so now I don't have that problem anymore! Worst mileage was this winter with winter blend and I still got 41mpg. I've seen 49mpg last fall and right now look to be working on another tank that's in that range since I'm at 450 miles with still a bit more than 1/2 a tank of fuel (yes, I vented...). Truly a very fun car to drive and fun to do stuff to. I have done rear fog, front fogs, check temp II ambient gauge, phatnoise mp3 player. Might have to sell it later this summer when the new Jetta TDI comes in unless I can sell my passat glx 4-mo wagon gasser before then...