Key Fob Battery Replacement

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
After 5+ years of use the battery in my key fob has become unreliable and the range has gone down to inches. I followed the how to links and it is really quite easy to do, the thing that intriqued me was the battery. It is a standard BIOS battery off on any motherboard and my IT department happened to have a bushel of them. They are the CR2032 batteries, should be minimum cost, free if you know a computer geek. With the new battery and a small flat bladed screwdriver I was good to go in less than 3 minutes.

Impressed that the single battery lasted more than 5 years and that it was something logical, the fob is just a circuit board, why not use the standard battery in the computer industry that maintains memory on circuit boards - I like that kind of thinking, wonder if all fobs are standard?

osesu96

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI - Platinum Gray
Thanks for the link Lefty. This just saved me a ton of time. Asked the dealer to do it for me, they couldn't be bothered to spend 5 minutes (my time to swap out 2 FOB batteries) helping a customer out. Oh well, TDIclub to the rescue again.

MJ72

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pkg1
If you don't know a computer geek, you can also go to Radioshack. They'll install them without additional charge.