Energy Bill Would Welcome Back Diesels

dilt1

From the 11/22 NY Times -

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/22/business/22diesel.html

By DANNY HAKIM

ETROIT, Nov. 21 - Twenty-five years after diesel cars largely disappeared from American highways in a black cloud of tailpipe exhaust, the energy bill whose fate is hanging in the Senate invites a much cleaner incarnation back. These so-called advanced diesels would be eligible for tax credits equal to those in the bill for alternative-fuel vehicles and gas-electric hybrids.

Environmental groups say that the new generation of diesels will still be too dirty to merit tax breaks but they view credits for cleaner technologies like hybrids and hydrogen fuel cells as one of the few things to like about the bill. Over all, they say, the energy bill will increase the nation's automotive oil consumption.

Automakers see the provision, as well as the energy bill at large, as a victory. Several automakers - particularly those based in Europe, where millions of diesels are sold each year - view diesels as the most viable way to cut Americans' swelling oil consumption.

"We definitely support it and are very pleased, from the language we've seen," said Kathleen Graham, a spokeswoman for DaimlerChrysler. "We think we should encourage all advanced technologies with tax credits and not just one because right now there's not a clear winner," she added.

But Dan Becker, an energy expert at the Sierra Club, said many of the vehicles that would receive diesel credits would not even meet the minimum standards in California, which sets more stringent air quality standards than the federal government.

"We don't need diesels," he said. "For them to share a tax credit meant to benefit clean cars like hybrids is appalling."

The Joint Committee on Taxation forecasts that tax credits for advanced technology and alternative-fuel vehicles will cost more than $2.2 billion from 2004 to 2013. The committee did not break down the cost of credits for diesels versus hybrids and other technologies.

After the oil shocks of the 1970's, diesels had a period of modest popularity in the United States. But as gas prices receded, consumers grew tired of the smoke and smells associated with the engines, as well as quality problems with some diesel offerings from General Motors.

In recent years, automakers have been exploring technologies to clean up diesels, to try to meet tightening emissions and fuel economy regulations in Europe and with an eye to reintroducing diesel engine cars in the United States.

China, the world's fastest-growing market for automobile sales, is also poised to impose fuel economy standards more stringent than those in the United States.

Even some regulators said they thought diesels might be useful in meeting the goals of using less oil while also reducing pollution. "I think it's part of the solution,'' Alan Lloyd, chairman of the California Air Resources Board, said in a recent interview. "The more I see these things, I don't know that there's any magic bullet."

Environmentalists are not convinced that diesel can ever be as clean as gasoline.

Current diesel technology presents trade-offs. Diesels still emit considerably more smog-forming pollutants like nitrogen oxides, volatile organic chemicals and soot than comparable gasoline cars do. But diesels also improve fuel economy by 30 to 40 percent and reduce oil consumption by about 15 percent, reducing emissions that many scientists link to global warming.

For instance, the 2003 Volkswagen Jetta with a four-cylinder gasoline engine and an automatic transmission emits 7.9 to 11.8 pounds of smog-forming pollutants every 15,000 miles, according to data from the Environmental Protection Agency. But a comparable car with a diesel engine emits at least 43.7 pounds of pollutants.

On the other hand, the gasoline Jetta gets average combined city and highway mileage of 26 miles a gallon and emits 7.4 tons of greenhouse gases a year, compared with 5.5 tons and 38 m.p.g. for the diesel.

The types of advanced diesel vehicles that would be eligible for credits under the energy bill would have new filtration technologies that greatly narrow the pollutant gap with gasoline cars.

"Obviously, it could help kick-start the return of diesels to the U.S.," said Allen Schaeffer, executive director of the Diesel Technology Forum, referring to the energy bill. His group is financed by automakers, diesel engine makers and oil companies. "Gas cars don't offer the 20 to 40 percent fuel economy gains that you get with the diesel."

Environmental groups argue that gasoline cars could be more cheaply modified to improve both fuel efficiency and emissions with technologies already available. And they see tax incentives for diesel potentially distracting attention from technologies like hybrids.

"You can do it cleaner and more cheaply with gasoline, so why give diesels some inherent advantage?" said David Friedman, an energy expert at the Union of Concerned Scientists.

Hybrid development can also help in the development of fuel cells - which are more complex but potentially the cleanest technology of all - because both use electric motors.

Representative Dave Camp, the Michigan Republican instrumental in getting the diesel credits inserted into the energy bill, said that such vehicles would reduce dependence on imported oil. "We're more dependent on foreign oil than in the energy crisis of the 70's," he said, adding, "I don't consider this a solution, but it's available right now, while technologies like the fuel cell have tremendous potential but are further out."

Hybrids and diesels clean enough to meet new regulations are thousands of dollars more expensive than conventional cars. Two sets of tax credits in the energy bill are aimed at helping consumers offset the higher prices.

One credit, ranging from $400 to $2,400, would rise depending on how much more fuel efficient a vehicle was than the average vehicle in its class. A second credit, ranging from $250 to $1,000, would rise depending on the projected fuel savings over the vehicle's life. Fuel cell vehicles, much more costly, receive higher credits.

Automakers say it will be expensive to make vehicles meet air standards that are scheduled to take effect later in the decade. European automakers are the most determined to try. While many companies sell diesel versions of big trucks and sport utilities, Volkswagen sells diesel versions of several of its cars. Next year, DaimlerChrysler plans to offer a diesel version of the Jeep Liberty and a Mercedes sedan.

These vehicles do not yet meet the tougher thresholds. Part of the problem is that the nation's diesel fuel has too much sulfur. New E.P.A. rules will lower those levels by the end of 2006.

Automakers argue that the new emissions requirements will force them to close the gap further on smog-forming pollutants; environmentalists worry that the new regulations will still allow diesels to emit a greater amount of particulate matter, tiny soot particles linked to a variety of health problems.

"This invites diesels back at the behest of the auto industry," said Mr. Friedman of the Union of Concerned Scientists.

Over all, Mr. Friedman projects that the energy bill will increase automotive oil consumption three billion to four billion gallons through 2008 because it extends fuel economy credits that automakers receive for making vehicles that run on ethanol as well as gasoline, despite the fact that hardly any consumers actually use ethanol.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
[ QUOTE ]

..."We don't need diesels," he said. "For them to share a tax credit meant to benefit clean cars like hybrids is appalling."...

...Environmentalists are not convinced that diesel can ever be as clean as gasoline....

..."You can do it cleaner and more cheaply with gasoline, so why give diesels some inherent advantage?" said David Friedman, an energy expert at the Union of Concerned Scientists....

...environmentalists worry that the new regulations will still allow diesels to emit a greater amount of particulate matter, tiny soot particles linked to a variety of health problems.

"This invites diesels back at the behest of the auto industry," said Mr. Friedman of the Union of Concerned Scientists....

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, thanks for the post.

I'm sorry, but I have to wonder if these "experts" are really that ignorant or if they have some "vested interest" in seeing gas-hybrids beat out diesel for market supremacy?

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
I wonder what these "enviros" are driving themselves. When are they going to understand that it is the diesel FUEL that they should be against rather than diesel technology? Our B100 powered TDIs are the most green cars they could ever imagine being available in the next decade, if they`d ever have the brains to listen. Well meaning but ignorant of the simple facts. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

blitzoid

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue '02 Golf GLS TDI
Regardless of the motives of environmentalists, the fact is, diesel has a bad rep, and it'll take a lot to overcome that. I don't think anyone would deny that. The fact that this showed up in the Times is a good start. At least the conversation is happening.

Nonetheless, the Energy bill is a really bad idea, for too many reasons to list. A bill that supports greener fuels, both politically and economically would go a long way. This energy bill is NOT such a measure. More cash is squandered on support for harmful petroleum products and additives (MTBE being at the top of that list) and coal factories than is spent supporting green fuels, by a wide margin. The bulk of alternative fuel support comes in the form of tax breaks for corn producers for ethanol production. Support for Biodiesel would go a lot further, since trucks are responsible for almost 25% of emmissions, but compose a much smaller portion of the national vehicle fleet.

Give me Al Gore's environmental policies over this junk any day of the week. I really hope the voting public wakes up and ousts Bush next year. If it were up to me, the impeachment hearings would start tomorrow.

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
I've heard that the Sierra club is against biodiesel ('cause of NOx). But, at a polical event in Iowa, I talked to a guy from the Sierra club and he was all for biodiesel. Then, I saw a posting on the 'net about a local Sierra club event highlighting biodiesel.

So...I'm not sure the folks that put out the "official" party line of the Sierra club know what their members know or want to promote.

RogueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI Black
[ QUOTE ]
wxman said:
[ QUOTE ]

..."We don't need diesels," he said. "For them to share a tax credit meant to benefit clean cars like hybrids is appalling."...

...Environmentalists are not convinced that diesel can ever be as clean as gasoline....

..."You can do it cleaner and more cheaply with gasoline, so why give diesels some inherent advantage?" said David Friedman, an energy expert at the Union of Concerned Scientists....

...environmentalists worry that the new regulations will still allow diesels to emit a greater amount of particulate matter, tiny soot particles linked to a variety of health problems.

"This invites diesels back at the behest of the auto industry," said Mr. Friedman of the Union of Concerned Scientists....

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, thanks for the post.

I'm sorry, but I have to wonder if these "experts" are really that ignorant or if they have some "vested interest" in seeing gas-hybrids beat out diesel for market supremacy?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. Thank you. I was almost turning red with frustration reading those comments - like what is their hidden agenda?!? Freagin enviro wackos - "Yes, let's suppress a potentially better and more environmentally-friendly solution for an exhausted gasoline technology." /images/graemlins/mad.gif

RogueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI Black
[ QUOTE ]
RC said:... Well meaning but ignorant of the simple facts. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That I really have to wonder about.

Fuego

TDI
2004 TDI JETTA WAGON
Many conservatives are so fixed in their opinions and ideas that they could never accept a smoky old diesel. These conservatives are emotionally driven ideologues, that cannot accept new technology, even the VW TDI and the even newer generation diesels on the horizon.
A big breakthrough will be in tightening up Diesel fuel standards.

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
For instance, the 2003 Volkswagen Jetta with a four-cylinder gasoline engine and an automatic transmission emits 7.9 to 11.8 pounds of smog-forming pollutants every 15,000 miles, according to data from the Environmental Protection Agency. But a comparable car with a diesel engine emits at least 43.7 pounds of pollutants.

On the other hand, the gasoline Jetta gets average combined city and highway mileage of 26 miles a gallon and emits 7.4 tons of greenhouse gases a year, compared with 5.5 tons and 38 m.p.g. for the diesel.

The types of advanced diesel vehicles that would be eligible for credits under the energy bill would have new filtration technologies that greatly narrow the pollutant gap with gasoline car

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice how greenhouse gases are not "pollutants" here. The love for gasoline is such, that anything the emit more of, must not be harmful at all. They don't pollute, they just pass gas. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I read a blurb in the paper that said that the new law will allow a tax credit on cars based on their fuel economy rather than technology. This credit replaces the hybrid tax credit that expires this year. Hope there is some truth behind this.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
The simple fact is that bio-D in a current technology diesel takes care of most emissions. Combine that with either aqueous dispersion or simpler yet, water injection and you take care of the NOX. If you want to do this in an aspirated, multi-fuel, compression ignition engine, the technology is also here (www.smartplugs.com).

The industry and government are so full of "experts" from all kinds of disciplines, there is no one left who knows anything about motor vehicles.

The real problem is none of the above. We simply drive too large vehicles and too often for no good reason. The design of cities is based around the idea that you will live in one place and work in another and play somewhere else. If you ever want to get a good feel for this, sit around LA on a weekday rush hour and then park on the highway going East to the high desert on a Saturday morning.

Don't even get me started on 2 cycle snowmobiles and PWC!!

Pat

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
[ QUOTE ]
dilt1 said:
Environmental groups argue that gasoline cars could be more cheaply modified to improve both fuel efficiency and emissions with technologies already available. And they see tax incentives for diesel potentially distracting attention from technologies like hybrids.

"You can do it cleaner and more cheaply with gasoline, so why give diesels some inherent advantage?" said David Friedman, an energy expert at the Union of Concerned Scientists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh?!? What an "expert".... "You can do it"? Do what? If you compare two simiar powered/similar technology engines in similar classed cars, a gas and a diesel, the diesel will ALWAYS be more efficient. And the fact that gas engines are cleaner (other than CO2 of course) is a simple result of the fact that BILLIONS of dollars have been spent on R&D for gasoline passenger engines to make them that way. Look at Honda's or Toyota's motors today and look at the same 30 years ago... an unbelievable improvement in emissions (and they were segment-leading in the 70's, too). Throw some of that money at diesel engines by creating a larger market and simultaneously pushing the technology on emissions (the latter part is already here), and diesels will clean up real quick.

kyote321

Veteran Member
TDI
golf td1, 2002, black
clearly vw needs to do some PR for the tdi. there is no excuse for the general public not to be aware of the benefits of the new generation of diesels.

sounds like the main problem with the emmisions in the USA is the sulfur and this can be blamed directly on the government and, i would assume, the big oil companies for not taking it out. it is pointless to blame the engine.

another point is that diesel engines last longer and run more efficiently (including emmisions) for longer. that has to add it the environmentalists pie-in-the-sky formula somewhere.

the only thing that is going stop people from buying suvs is a rise in gasoline prices. we have our government and their oil war to blame for keeping these artificially low.

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Unfortunately most 'green' organizations follow the example of the conservative right's pro-life "all or none" position. They seem to allow very little room for improvement, development or compromise.
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Frankly I do not understand their not wanting or trying to get diesel technology and fuels as clean as possible. They have to know that tractors, trucks, trains, buses, ships and generation equipment will be running diesels for a long time to come; to stomp their feet on improvements in diesel is a slap in the face to any rational thinking and environmentally minded American! Grrr! /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

DB7654321

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI, Tornado Red
[ QUOTE ]
Fuego said:
Many conservatives are so fixed in their opinions and ideas that they could never accept a smoky old diesel. These conservatives are emotionally driven ideologues, that cannot accept new technology, even the VW TDI and the even newer generation diesels on the horizon.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very unlikely that the Sierra Club contains a single conservative. I'm a conservative and own two diesel vehicles, due to their fuel economy. Perhaps you need to reconsider your sweeping generalizations.

FLMan

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now
[ QUOTE ]
Fuego said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that, I consider my self conservative and own 6 diesels right now, and had 4 others besides. I think the liberals are more into that battery powered Honda. Just ask Al Gore his opinion on it. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
[ QUOTE ]
kyote321 said:
the only thing that is going stop people from buying suvs is a rise in gasoline prices. we have our government and their oil war to blame for keeping these artificially low.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with the first part of your statement, sort of, but disagree with the second.

Pickups and SUVs are very useful vehicles for hauling cargo or family, or towing a trailer. But I see too many people using them as a single-occupant commuter vehicle, which doesn't make sense. Higher fuel costs would discourage this practice.

But I disagree that fuel prices are artificially low. They may seem low, but there is a reasonably free global market in crude oil, and a reasonably free market in refined products that provides a reasonable profit to refiners.

Government interference in the petro market in California results in higher prices for both gas and diesel, compared to what folks pay elsewhere in the country. This interference prevents the construction of new refineries and pipelines, and encourages the closure of older refineries. We recently saw a 50-60 cent/gallon surge in gasoline prices resulting from the temporary shutdown of a pipeline between Texas and Arizona, causing a shortage all over the Southwest. Only now have gasoline prices dropped back nearly to where they were in July.

Nearly 20 years ago I advocated a 5 cent/year increase in the gasoline tax for 10 years, 50 cents overall. I still think it's a good idea. Consumers would be able to factor in higher fuel taxes when they decide what vehicle to buy. And auto manufacturers would be able to plan for an anticipated increase in demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles.

What we do NOT need are any more govt-mandated fuel-efficiency standards. What would be nice is if Americans can be free to buy and drive whatever vehicle they want, and not have those decisions made by bureaucrats and lobbyists.

Fuego

TDI
2004 TDI JETTA WAGON
Well, I call conservatives those people who are incapable of accepting new data; who refuse to let new information change their preconceived opinions; the Luddites who try and maintain the status quo and refuse to accept new ideas or concepts; those who are opposed to change; and are primarily emotionally driven. The Eco-Nonsense movement is full of them.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
You just described a textbook Liberal. Why do you think that end of the political spectrum keeps trying to take North America and Europe downt the same road that didn't work for Russia and Cuba?

Truthfully, there are about as many in the so-called conservative side that are no better. It seems to be human nature to worship a closed mind.

Pat

dm123982

>You just described a textbook Liberal

Dictionary.com defines a conservative as, "Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change."

And defines a liberal as, " Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded."

So, if you avoid the political sensitivity, someone open to new ideas, such as a diesel being environmentally friendly is more liberal.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Whenever anyone who's a liberal says "conservative" they mean
Republicans. When anybody says "liberal" they mean leftist
democrats. That's just the reality today, even if the
dictionary says otherwise.

Personally, having grown up a liberal, and am now a conservative
(republican), I find that liberals are as close-minded or more
so than the real right-wing conservatives (real right-wing, not
like Rush, who's actually got a strong streak of libertarian
in him, and he rails against the republicans and big government
almost as often as the liberals. In fact, I think Rush is a
centrist, which would explain his 20 million+ audience.)

On average, despite who we vote for, I think us diesel owners
are generally libertarians by nature.

Anyway, the one thing left out of the picture is ultra-low
sulphur fuel. What's the scoop in the Energy bill on this
subject?

Jud.

jxpfeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta GLS, lux
i think it's funny that they push the hybrid cars like they're soooo damn good for the environment. what happens to those stupid batteries that have to be disposed of? i'm sure that junk isn't very good for the environment at all, now is it?

WaKramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
[ QUOTE ]
DB7654321 wrote:

It's very unlikely that the Sierra Club contains a single conservative. I'm a conservative and own two diesel vehicles, due to their fuel economy. Perhaps you need to reconsider your sweeping generalizations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing. This article is talking about an energy bill supported by a conservative president that actually is pro-diesel, liberal environmental groups made statements against diesels, yet the focus of many comments on this thread is that conservatives are anti-diesel. Either people are getting confused about the ideology of environmental groups or they are twisting themselves into knots trying to spin this against conservatives.

kyote321

Veteran Member
TDI
golf td1, 2002, black
[ QUOTE ]

But I disagree that fuel prices are artificially low. They may seem low, but there is a reasonably free global market in crude oil, and a reasonably free market in refined products that provides a reasonable profit to refiners.

[/ QUOTE ]

refiners AND importers. let's not forget who is making a profit on this end. you have to admit though that the oil companies are able to keep their prices artifically low. i mean, why does a gallon of good spring water cost more than a petrochemical that has to be pulled from the ground, then refined? someone is getting a break somewhere.

[ QUOTE ]

Government interference in the petro market in California results in higher prices for both gas and diesel, compared to what folks pay elsewhere in the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

true. i suppose it might make sense if that extra tax was actually going to improve the environment. but cali does have some good roads...

[ QUOTE ]

What we do NOT need are any more govt-mandated fuel-efficiency standards. What would be nice is if Americans can be free to buy and drive whatever vehicle they want, and not have those decisions made by bureaucrats and lobbyists.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know what you are saying, but i can't believe that people are going to make sound choices without an increase in fuel prices, and the only way this is going to happen is if the government/oil companies (same thing at this point, from the top down) increase the prices, but that might not go so well in an election year.

liberal vs. conservative is a concept designed by the media to make people beleive they live in a black and white, binary world with easy choices. conservative=pro-war, patriotic; liberal=anti-war and therefore unpatriotic, and anti-troop. the gammut of american political thought runs much deeper than this.

Fuego

TDI
2004 TDI JETTA WAGON
Liberal or conservative, they are just labels, and arbitrary ones at best.

How anyone can oppose the cleanest and most efficient technology in transportation is beyond me.

Even the envirowackos in California seem to be re-assesing the ban on passenger car Diesel engines. CARB has come out with several tentative approvals of the new Diesel tchnology. Unfortunately, there are many in California whose minds are made up, and no new information need apply.

Boobiwan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS Reflex Silver
[ QUOTE ]
Fuego said:

[/ QUOTE ]

An obvious oversimplification of the problem at hand. Blaming a group for all of our energy policy ills using partisan politics is no solution. But then again, I feel your pain brotha.

GeneralStark

TDI
98 Jetta TDI
[ QUOTE ]
kyote321 said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the individual who originally posted the statement about fuel prices being artificially low was referring to goverment subsidies of petroleum. Ever since the petroleum industry came on line, in the U.S. the government has been subsidizing the industry with taxpayer's dollars so we can all have cheap fuel.

In addition to all the great things about TDIs when it come to efficiency and emissions, you can also power them with renewable fuels (biodiesel, SVO/WVO) with little to no modification to the engine. I know mine loves the veggie oil with 14,000 trouble free miles so far.

Clean burning, non-toxic, locally produceable, and renewable fuel that doesn't contribute to greenhouse gas emissions. What a Concept!

Call me a liberal tree-hugger if you will, but I think I'm just plain smart.

Matt

DB7654321

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI, Tornado Red
[ QUOTE ]
Fuego said:
How anyone can oppose the cleanest and most efficient technology in transportation is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe -- Walking is probably the cleanest form of transportation available. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Doesn't cover large spaces like my Jetta does, though. /images/graemlins/cool.gif